News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Super Op Amp

Started by Fret Wire, July 17, 2005, 12:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fret Wire

It never ends. :roll: 8 pin DIP can for $111.57 US. No data sheet, and the designer is apparently "Mark". No references to who's doing the manufacturing either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7531754304&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

It must be aimed at the hi-fi market that buys the $500 wooden "tone" knobs. A basic patch cord/speaker wire upgrade, and time spent experimenting with speaker placement and position will do more for your listening pleasure than a $112 op-amp.

Another example of extreme upgrades. Most stereo's come with horrible patch cables and speaker wires. A modest upgrade in wiring is worth it. So they have super cables and wires that cost 10x more than the good upgrades, knowing that some will buy into it. Same with op-amps. You can get some improvement with upgrades, so this chip must be aimed at the "if a little is good, than more must be better" crowd.

For fx, here's an idea. Layout a Dist. + board with the IC on one side, and a dummy IC on the other. Drill out the top of the box and mount the board so the can IC's stick out the top. Add roll bars, and you have a "Nano Head" looking IC clipper.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Ed G.

Funny thing, I was doing some research on cables, and on the newsgroups some guys were doing some research and believe it or not, Radio Shack cables were coming out near or on top. Drove the audiophools nuts. Basically it was lower in capacitance.

StephenGiles

Sorry, I can't help thinking that the man is talking absolute bollocks.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

ninoman123

It looks like they are 8 pin sockets with some copper tube and epoxy around the top lol

Khas Evets

If there was an led glowing in the middle of the metal can, it would sound much better.

D Wagner

Quote from: ninoman123It looks like they are 8 pin sockets with some copper tube and epoxy around the top lol

I think that you are 100% correct.  Those are slip couplings for joining copper plumbing.  He probably stuck a quality opamp in the socket, filled it with super-mojo, tone enhancing epoxy, added a decal and a clear coat of laquer.  

I'll be interested in seeing if anyone falls for the gimmick.  

Come to think of it...I am going to Home Depot to get the parts I need to build "Super Opamps" for my effects.

Connoisseur of Distortion

Quote from: Khas EvetsIf there was an led glowing in the middle of the metal can, it would sound much better.

:lol:

bwanasonic

Quote from: D Wagner
I think that you are 100% correct.  Those are slip couplings for joining copper plumbing.  He probably stuck a quality opamp in the socket, filled it with super-mojo, tone enhancing epoxy, added a decal and a clear coat of laquer.

Or maybe a couple/several opamps? Wondering if maybe it's piggybacked/stacked opamps?

Kerry M

marduk

How long until someone puts it in a TS clone?

puretube

betcha it`s a pre-JRC model...

worth to be taken into account at the MoJo-thread

RLBJR65

It also looks like there is enough room in there for a discrete circuit. Glob everything together point to point and then fill it with goop.
Richard Boop

Fret Wire

Quote from: puretube
worth to be taken into account at the MoJo-thread
Ton, you are the eternal keeper of the Mojo Thread. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bwanasonic

Could a discrete opamp get the kind of specs this guy is claiming for bandwidth and slewrate?

Kerry M

jrc4558

OMFG!!!!
Check out that slew rate! I think Steve at smallbear should definitely order some! Lets all divide in groups and collectively pray for a quantity discount to be granted to the DIYers!
Shit... You can sell fecies if you properly advertise them. I guess this mojo sale proves it. :)

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

puretube

Quote from: bwanasonicCould a discrete opamp get the kind of specs this guy is claiming for bandwidth and slewrate?

Kerry M

IMHO: yes

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

"Secondly I was a bit annoyed  by that “Tube like” warmth….  I mean it sounds good in certain types of music but I didn’t want it to be everywhere.  It’s kind of like coating all my favour records with an extra layer of sugar!"

ROFLMAO :lol:

petemoore

These days, for me at least, "Tube Like' means not quite round, or has no meaning at all.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ninoman123

He says its for cd players...but...how can anyone expect to fit that in any type of cd player. You would have to cut a whole in ur cd player and stick it out the top lol

H.Manback

Man that sucks, this is widely accepted as the best opamp replacement:

Vacuum tube forevah!!! :lol: