[PICS] Dualish Tremble-O and 3 others

Started by Processaurus, July 18, 2005, 09:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Processaurus

These are some recent projects of mine I wanted to show off as a way to thank the fine people of this forum for the inspiration I've gotten here and all the good ideas/techniques you steal by reading through the threads here.

I saw the analogman Bi-Comprosser and decided to make one, its just a Ross compresser and an Orange Squeezer in one box.  The Ross has a simple FET buffer on the input, for some reason it makes it sound ten times better (bright enough) with a Strat.  The graphics are photo paper stuck onto the painted box with spray adhesive, with copious amounts of clearcoat.  The paint chips attest that its been well loved.

Tim Escobedo Triple Fuzz.  I bought like ten of these little boxes, now I have to figure out what can fit in them.  Powder coat paint courtesy of my new favorite roommate.

This one ruined my brain.  The battery doesn't actually fit right now because of the thickness of the wires, baaugh.  Someday I'll re-route them. Till then its adaptor powered only... The pedal is a Green Ringer into a Red Llama, which rumors say is a Purple Playtapus.  The Green ringer is special because it has a sharp lowpass filter you can switch in before the rectifier section.  This makes the octave effect much stronger, and is an great sounding alternative to the standard ringer sound.  The mod is posted at the general guitar gadgets Green Ringer page now.  Thanks JD!

Duelish Tremble-O.  This is a EA tremolo from Hell.  Dual LFOs, panning outputs, and a knob to mix the two LFOs for wheel-coming-off-wobbly sounds.  The LFO panning thing was discussed in this other thread.  Paul Perry had good, simple way of doing it.  I actually used an audio panning circuit, even though the mixed waveform in the middle of the knobs rotation is larger than the single waveforms at either end.  RG had asked "have you actually listened to it?" when I said the audio panning circuit wasn't going to work.  Listened to it and it worked alright...
The paint is more powder coat, and the lettering is the Zvex technique (Testors model paint).  It seems to look the best if you just go for it, and put it on thick.

One common trait of all these attempts is that theres alot of crap stuffed in the boxes.  I used Solidworks, a 3d CAD type program to get all the stuff to fit.  Hows that for anal?  Doing a layout is actually pretty fast if you're used to the program, and have models of the components made up.  Plus its great to be able to move stuff around visually to see what works best.  If anyone would be interested in hosting a library of 3d models of pedal specific components in the future, like hammond boxes, 3pdt switches, jacks, pots, etc., please PM me.

petemoore

Cool you got a new room mate, looks like he's doing a fine job on these box paintings, tell him I said so.
 The CAD, looks like some figureing and setting up,  it's probably a time saver because it could keep you out of a conflict of space in a tight box.
 As far as the look and 'job' of the pedals, let me say, superb !!!
 I like that you  left some of the old love on the sides of the cream? pedal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

soggybag

Wow great work!

Marcos - Munky

Cool boxes. Could you post a schematic of your EA Tremolo?

Sam

Nice work!

I love the tremolo! Nice with the different sizes of knobs! I certainly would like to get a look at the schematic!  :wink:
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

Sam

Exactly what kind of paint or painting technique is "powder coat"?
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

MartyMart

Quote from: SamExactly what kind of paint or painting technique is "powder coat"?

Sam,
      I think that its a professional finish, envolving a "powder" spray of
Paint/pigment which is heated up to a high temp, becomes "liquid" and
is dried/baked in a kind of oven.
Many pro pieces of "Rack" gear/stompboxes are coated this way and the
result is a very durable and nice finish !

Great work on those builds BTW :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

KORGULL

Really cool stuff!! Nice job on the photos too.