Bazz Fuss help..yeah i know its easy but im a n00b

Started by gooneybird, July 19, 2005, 12:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gooneybird

ok.

Im going to build the bazz fuss, with an orange LED instead of the stock diode.

I am also going to change cap values to give me some more bass, as i think it will be too trebly.

Anyway, i got a transistor, not a 2N5088 but a 2N3055,

I just dont know where to solder the wires on it, the legs on the bottom or the transistor itself, like on a pot?

Oh and where should i solder grounding wires, to the output lug?

P.S where do i put my on/off switch?

Sorry for n00bnishness..

Thanks

:D

petemoore

http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/NTE180.html
 Here's the data sheet on the 3055, I have no idea how to hook one up, it could be ferreted from the sheet, probably takes a large power supply, anyway not suited as a substitute for teh BF circuit.
 Google and search for NTE cross reference page, and read what it says for substituting a 2n5088, the data sheet will show
 http://www.nteinc.com/specs/100to199/NTE180.html
 This as a 'basic Si NPN'.
 5088's are 'higher' gain, [a requirement for the BF properoperation] 2n5089 is 'high gain low noise', the data sheets top paragraph tells much of what you need to look for in a transistor substitute, it's good to read these because you can get your NPN's and PNP's sorted out'.
 Sometimes you want high gain sometimes you want low gain [like Q1 in FF], I always want low noise, sometimes it makes more difference than others, socketting and swapping Q's isn't necessary for the BF, but doing so in general....you get to hear what this or that transistor does in this or that position.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gooneybird

so this transistor is not going to work?

What other transistors would be good to use?

petemoore

ok...any NPN si.
 read above post about transistor gains.
 I'd start with the type specced in the schematic, 2n5088, and guess any NPN si with enough gain would do the trick.
 If your DMM has an Hfe socket and setting, use that to test for gain on Si NPN or PNP transistors.
 2n2369
 NTE123
 2n2222
 4401's
 low gain
 2n3904
 a little higher gain probly
 BCxxx...various gains, check 'em out
 2n5088 I forget...something like 600 or 800hfe
 2n5089 no I think these range around 800hfe [HG/LN transistors]
 Then theres Darlington [google 'darlington transistor'], their gains are up over 1,000 I hear...used 'em never measured 'em.

gooneybird

ok thanks

sorry, but where do i solder on the transistor? Im really stuck on this especially.

Thanks again  :)

scratch

that 2N3055 transistor is in a TO-3 style package generally used in high 'power' applications (amplifiers), standard construction would be to use a TO-3 socket. The metal case is one of the three terminals of the transistor, often bolted on to heat sinks ...

the standard small signal/switch transistors like the 2N3904/2N3906, 2N5088/2N5089 use a TO-92 package, a little 1/4" tall, round piece of epoxy with a flat side and three leads coming out the bottom ... this is what you need ... I
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

petemoore

You look up on the data sheet for the transistor you're using what the actual pin out is.
 ITC 2n5088, with the script on the front looking at you directly, EBC [L to right] as the pins come out the bottom.
 The emitter NPN Si has the emiiter as closest pin to ground, Collector toward V+ and base in the middle. Read GEO...somewhere it tells you most of what you'll be probably be wanting to know anyway, how to bis a transistor is there, also try all the FAQ, links...save some to favorites and get back again to them.
 As you're loooking at teh Data sheet, note the specifics of the transistor, which way the arrow is pointing designates PNP or NPN, and the emitter. Base is in the middle, and collector 'on the top' of the circle [toward V+, looking at NPN schematics for the most part].

Rick

If you must use this transistor, just google 2n3055, you will get the pinout. As stated the case is the base and you can solder a wire to the case ...just sand it a bit, put a little flux on the case and attach your wire. Again this transistor is probably not your best choice for this this circuit, but what the hell, give it a try and let everyone know how it sounds.   ...Rick

gooneybird

Quote from: RickIf you must use this transistor, just google 2n3055, you will get the pinout. As stated the case is the base and you can solder a wire to the case ...just sand it a bit, put a little flux on the case and attach your wire. Again this transistor is probably not your best choice for this this circuit, but what the hell, give it a try and let everyone know how it sounds.   ...Rick

:oops: sorry but whats a pinout?

Told you i was a n00b, again sorry, but thanks for all the help

EDIT:

http://hamradio.lakki.iki.fi/new/Datasheets/transistor_pinouts/
About halfway down, but what does C,B and E mean?

Thanks

petemoore

C Collector
 B Base
 E Emitter
 These are the connections all transistors have [that I'm aware of].
 Lookup the data sheet for your transistor, or find the B/E diode with a DMM Diode checker, if it's an SI, look for a diode drop of about .7v...this is based on partial info...I recommend using something like a 2n5088.
 That thing is rather large, anyway I'd use a socket if you're planning on swapping out transistors, this eliminates also the chance of heat damage to the transistors while soldering.

gooneybird

ok. so my wire goes to C, and out B and E? Or into B and out C and E?

Ok thanks, what type of socket are you recomending?

AL

There are a few FAQ links at the top of the page that are very informative. You should give these a thorough read.

Small Bear Electronics sells transistor sockets. There is a 3-pin socket and there are also "in-line" sockets where several pins are connected together and you snap off what you need. For now the 3-pin would probably work best for you.

As for your wires you connect them to the transistor not "in" and "out" as you've stated. But, in this case you will connect the wires to the socket and then plug the transistor into the socket.

Keep asking - we'll get you there eventually.  :D

AL

gooneybird

Quote from: ALThere are a few FAQ links at the top of the page that are very informative. You should give these a thorough read.

Small Bear Electronics sells transistor sockets. There is a 3-pin socket and there are also "in-line" sockets where several pins are connected together and you snap off what you need. For now the 3-pin would probably work best for you.

As for your wires you connect them to the transistor not "in" and "out" as you've stated. But, in this case you will connect the wires to the socket and then plug the transistor into the socket.

Keep asking - we'll get you there eventually.  :D

AL

Thanks alot, :D

But my transistor only has 2 pins, the other connection is made on the metal base of the transistor itself  :cry:

gooneybird

ok,

Im going to get a BC441/2N5320 or a BC141-10 to replace it.  :D
Does a higher number mean more gain?

Eg,

BC875 or BC441

^ This has more gain? Or the lower number because it has less resistance?

Ok need some more help here:

Bazz Fuss.

Where is on/off switch?
If there isnt one where do i install it?

I understand grounding, and i have my wire coming from the input socket on the MIDDLE ring, which is right?
Ive decided to hardwire it, as it would take too long to get perfboard, so how do i connect the battery snap, as i know that the negative wire has to be grounded, by going to the input/output socket OUTER ring.

And all my grounds go to the input/output socket OUTER ring, this is correct?

Also i would like to run it off a DC power supply, so how do i connect this up?

And if i wish to use an LED instead of the current diode, do i have to put a resistor infront of it?

Thanks.

robotboy

Quote from: gooneybirdok,

Im going to get a BC441/2N5320 or a BC141-10 to replace it.  :D
Does a higher number mean more gain?

Eg,

BC875 or BC441

^ This has more gain? Or the lower number because it has less resistance?

Ok need some more help here:

Bazz Fuss.

Where is on/off switch?
If there isnt one where do i install it?

I understand grounding, and i have my wire coming from the input socket on the MIDDLE ring, which is right?
Ive decided to hardwire it, as it would take too long to get perfboard, so how do i connect the battery snap, as i know that the negative wire has to be grounded, by going to the input/output socket OUTER ring.

And all my grounds go to the input/output socket OUTER ring, this is correct?

Also i would like to run it off a DC power supply, so how do i connect this up?

And if i wish to use an LED instead of the current diode, do i have to put a resistor infront of it?

Thanks.

Higher hfe means more gain. Your referring to part numbers which have nothing to do with gain, resistance or anything other than what the manufacturer assigned to the part.

On/off is controlled by the input jack. Follow the wiring diagram on the beginner project on this site. In fact, read the beginner project from top to bottom. It answers most of your questions.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewforum.php?f=6

Connect all your grounds together. Also connect the sleeve of the input and output jacks to ground. -9V goes to the ring of the input jack. See this thread.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=970

See this thread on adding a DC jack.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=23676

An LED in place of the bias/clipping diode in the circuit does not require an added resistor. Also, since you're new here, you should read the FAQ's referenced above, and browsing the wiki might also be helpful to answer some of the more commonly asked questions. Not trying to be a jerk at all, so please don't take these suggestions the wrong way. Hope this helps and good luck!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fxfaq.htm

http://diystompboxes.com/cgi-bin/diystompboxeswiki.pl?DIY_Stompboxes.Com_Wiki