Smallbears reverse log pot observations

Started by MartyMart, July 20, 2005, 11:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

I'm always happy to "plug" Steve and his "Cave" ( er, excuse me for making that sound so crude !! ) and I think that his reverse log pots need
a mention.
I've recently bought some 1M/500k and 1k's from him, hoping for a nice
improvement to some "classics" whose ordinary "log" or "lin" pots were
not cutting it .
Well, I'm blown away !!!!
I have used them on my Dist+ / Liquid drive / Voodoo Labs OD and a few
Fuzz circuits.
They have made what were "fine sounding" builds into perfection  :D

The Gain/Fuzz range has been extended, offering a much wider and more
controllable set of values .
With none of the "bunched up at the end" type problems.
If you have not tried "reverse log" pots as yet, I urge you to do so.....
you will not be dissappointed   :D
Thanks for stocking these steve

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Melanhead

On my list to buy next order ... I just need to build about 5 more pedals first :) ... Oh it never ends!

Fret Wire

Try the 1M rev. log in the Three Legged Dog. :wink: Same for a homebuilt 808 (500k rev log for stock gain).
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

MartyMart

Quote from: Fret WireTry the 1M rev. log in the Three Legged Dog. :wink: Same for a homebuilt 808 (500k rev log for stock gain).

Yup, they are next ... then I'm almost out of 'em !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Melanhead

Quote from: Fret WireTry the 1M rev. log in the Three Legged Dog. :wink: Same for a homebuilt 808 (500k rev log for stock gain).

Great! ... just built an 808 type clone.

formerMember1

anybody know if these are the pots phillip was talking about a couple weeks ago, saying he used them in his axis face?

Fret Wire

Quote from: formerMember1anybody know if these are the pots phillip was talking about a couple weeks ago, saying he used them in his axis face?

Yes, 1k rev. log for the gain (Fuzz) control.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

moogatroid2000

I bought some 1M reverse log pots from SB a long while back. While they did a better job than most pots in that application  did have some troubles.
Almost all of the 1M pots were actually around 850K which did not really work so well in some circuits I tried using them in.
Just a heads up in case you build something with them.... do check out the actual resistance. I was able to get by with a series resistor but not knowing that the pot is alittle off can throw you for a loop.
live and learn.

MartyMart

Quote from: moogatroid2000I bought some 1M reverse log pots from SB a long while back. While they did a better job than most pots in that application  did have some troubles.
Almost all of the 1M pots were actually around 850K which did not really work so well in some circuits I tried using them in.
Just a heads up in case you build something with them.... do check out the actual resistance. I was able to get by with a series resistor but not knowing that the pot is alittle off can throw you for a loop.

Hmm, just tested four :
2 are just over 1M  1.024 & 1.011
1 is at 945k
1 is at 825k .... !

Marty.

Fret Wire

Usually, most pots have a  tolerance range +- 20%. That means a 1M pot can run from 800k to 1.2M and still be considered within spec. I find that they usually don't go much over the stated value, but tend to go under more.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

jimbob

Do these  1k rev log pots really make a big difference? Ive never played an original Fuzz Face other than my clone.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

MartyMart

Quote from: jimbobDo these  1k rev log pots really make a big difference? Ive never played an original Fuzz Face other than my clone.

Yup, HUGE difference  :D
You just have a lot more range of sounds throughout the pots travel.
I've otherwise been "shaping" linear pots with resistors, this solves all
that nonsense, no much "bunched up at the end" or "all happens too quickly"
Highly recommended :D

Marty.