Bass Brassmaster

Started by SonicVI, July 23, 2005, 02:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

I'm building a Brassmaster clone using RG Keen's layout. The original schematic calls for 1N4148's and RG's updated schematic calls for 1N4001s which I've used.  I've still got some wiring issues I think, but I've got fuzz working. The octave effect is very very weak though. The samples at Moosapotamus' site have a much more obvious octave sound with the sensitivity low.  Could this be due to the choice of diodes, or more likely due to a wiring problem? Any other ideas would be appreciated.

SonicVI

Ok, well, I think the problem may be with my transistors. RG's layout/wiring diagram fails to note that you should check your transistor pinouts which is something many relative newbies like me are sure to not do unless they search the archives and read that he warns of this. Anyway,  I looked up the pinouts for Fairchild 2n3392's and Central Semiconductor's 2n5308 and both are opposite of what is shown on the schematic/layout. Unfortunately I didn't use sockets so I'll have to remove and resolder them and see it if helps.  The fuzz is really nasty as is and has a gated sound to it and the sensitivity knob doesn't seem to do anything. Does that sound like a backwards transistor problem?

MartyMart

Yup  !
I ALWAYS use sockets. .... I know its a bit more expensive, but for that
few "cents/pence" you will never "burn up" a tranny and can easily turn
it around when you get the pinout wrong !!! AND I STILL DO  !!!

Marty  :D
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

SonicVI

Ok, I removed the transistors and soldered in sockets. I put the transistors in the sockets and now all I get is some hiss, even if I put the transistors in the sockets the wrong way. I used a heatsink when I removed them. Does it sound like I might have burned one or some of them up removing them?