Having trouble finding Halo inductor for wah?

Started by formerMember1, July 24, 2005, 10:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerMember1

I want to rebuild my gcb-95 wah to Axis Wah specs or close to it.  But where do you get the Halo inductors?  Are they better than a Fasel?

I use fulltone pot in my other wah, but wondering what other pot is good for the sound of the original  Vox clyde McCoys.
The past forum threads talked about this, but I still am wondering.

If you have either  built the Axis Wah or modded your GCB-95 to clyde specs please reply on how it worked out for you and what parts you were satisfied and not satisfied with.

Stevo

Ariel.fx or something like that in Israel...Google inductors they will be front page...I bought two with a credit card you need a credit card they sell on e-bay too. Search inductors under parts and accesories in guitars. They are real cool and have a bunch of stuff you might like for a wah!! A halo inductor really is a difference in sound you will like it..They sell fasel but you want the halo......a real nice sound......
practice cause time does not stop...

Fret Wire

Stuart Castledine makes a nice halo replica.
http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html
Or you can order a Yellow Fasel from Aron. I like their sound, good for the price. Arielfx also sells his handmade halo's too. Check the memeberlist for his web site. Fulltone doesn't sell their inductor anymore.

As far as pots go, remember that the Dunlop GBC has a shorter pedal throw, the Vox has a longer throw. "Icar" type replica pots have a more gradual taper, the HotPotz, however, tapers up pretty quick. Your own style has a lot to do with pot choice.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

formerMember1

the halo's and pro pots from Stuart Castledine are from the UK.
I am in US.  On his site it says I could go through north star audio or something.  i can't find that website.  Also, is north star audio the same people who work with roger mayer's effects?   I am also having trouble figuring out pricing in US$.  
thanks

Fret Wire

Stuart ships overseas and takes Pay Pal. Check the ordering section of his site.
http://www.wah-wah.co.uk/order.html

Northstar/Tom Lanik works with Mayer.
http://www.rogermayerusa.com/
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

formerMember1

one other question fret wire:

I am going to get a Pc board from GGG to build my Vox clyde wah on.  Will that board work with tropical fish caps, halo inductor and such.  I didn't know if the spacing holes are right.  thanks.

i am doing this becuase my gcb-95 wah has too many jumpers going everywhere, all the traces just keep lifting on me.  Also i can't find it on his site but does he sell pc boards for output buffer in a wah.  thanks  man

Fret Wire

There are two boards on GGG, one has trimpots for complete adjustability, the other uses resistors. Both boards are setup to take several different types of inductors. You did look at the layout didn't you? You can see the inductor pads. Tropical fish caps, I wouldn't know. I don't use them, but it's no big deal to gently bend the leads inward or outward to suit the pad spacing. Why don't you email JD at GGG and ask him? He may have tried different cap styles. He'll be happy to answer your questions.

Tonepad also has a wah board for sale. It has provisions for input and out put buffers. You can build it with both buffers, only one buffer (input or output), or no buffers.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

formerMember1

the buffer i am talking about is the output buffer so my wah will work with my fuzz.  Does the dunlop classic have this?  I am confused about this.  like if a pedal has a buffered ouput instead of truebypass does that make it work with fuzzes or is that a different buffer?

i want to build my wah with true bypass and an ouput buffer.

thanks again for the help

and yes i did just email GGG.
do you recomend getting the other wah board so i could put trim pots in it or should i go the standard way?

Fret Wire

I'm not sure what the classic uses. Most of the Dunlops have input buffers to help against tone sucking with non-true bypass, which is cheaper to make. It's nothing you want, forget it, it gets too confusing.

You want true bypass and an output buffer, plain and simple. You'll get the best of both pedals. The only thing you can't do is clean up the fuzz with guitar volume while the wah is on.

Which board? You decide. If you know exactly what values you want, or are just reproducing a Clyde, get the fixed value board. If you don't know how your components are going to sound together, use the trim pot board. You can measure each trim pot before you solder it in, set it for the value on the schematic, then mark it with paint or pen. That way, you'll always be able to re-set them back to spec if you adjust them too far.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

formerMember1

thanks man that helped , and that is a good tip about trimpots.

when  you say that i won't be able to clean up fuzz via volume on guitar when wah is engaged, do you mean that if i have my guitar volume on say 8 with fuzz engaged. so just a little overdrive is happening and not a full out fuzz tone.  If i step on the wah it will  get really fuzzed?

this seems to happen with my crybaby classic and modded dunlop fuzzface.  to get a clean sound when fuzz is engaged i have to turn the volume on guitar down to 7 1/2. then when i step on my wah it gets really loud and distorted. i then have to turn guitar volume down to like like 5 to get clean wah sound. then when i step off wah i have to turn volume on guitar back up to 71/2. this gets to be really really annoying.  i thought that by building the axis face and clyde wah i will beable to fix that and get a great tone. am i wrong in thinking this?

how come hendrix could turn his guitar volume down with fuzz engaged and get a semi clean wah sound?  did he have an output buffer in wah?
If i don't put in an ouput buffer in wah will the sound clean up then?

didn't you
build the axis face?  Do you use it with a wah?

thanks again man for your time and expertise 8)

Fret Wire

True bypass wah without buffer:
1. wah works by itself
2. fuzz works by itself, and cleans up with guitar volume.
3. both sound like shit used together.

True bypass wah with output buffer:
1. wah works by itself
2. fuzz works by itself, and cleans up with guitar volume.
3. both work great together, but output buffer impedes ability to clean up with guitar as well as fuzz does by itself.

Never built the Axis Face, which is a slightly modded Dallas Arbiter. Built plenty of the DA's (same thing, in other words) with/without the mayer mods, si/ge, tonebenders, etc. , non of them use any buffers. And yes, they don't allow my fuzz's to clean up as well.

What did Jimi do? Who knows, Jimi or Roger won't be posting any secrets here, so you have to experiment for yourself.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

formerMember1

THANKS FOR THE HELP :D

one last question!! :lol:

Is there ANYTHING youknow of that i could do to my wah to make it let me clean up my fuzz with wah engaged?  Or is this something every DIY has to live with?

thanks again man

Paul Marossy

QuoteIs there ANYTHING you know of that i could do to my wah to make it let me clean up my fuzz with wah engaged? Or is this something every DIY has to live with?

AFAIK, the only thing that "cleans up" a fuzz pedal is rolling back the guitar volume some. The wah pedal may play some small role in that, but it's really more to do with the amplitude of the signal the fuzz pedal sees at its input than anything else.