capacitor question

Started by jaguarcat311, July 24, 2005, 06:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaguarcat311

is it possible to use a polarized capacitor in a place where a nonpolarized cap is called for? for instance, if the only .47uf cap i had left was polarized, and i threw in into a pedal which needed just one more .47uf unpolarized cap, would this cause problems like sound only coming out when you hit your strings really hard, ya know that sound, disguntingly distorted crunch. Thanks for any help
Blood so deep the horse must hold his head up high

Paul Marossy

As long as it is oriented correctly, you can probably get away with using a polarized electrolytic in place on a non-ploarized, AFAIK.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you have a multimeter, put the unpolarised cap in place in the circuit, turn it on, and check whether there is a DC voltage across the cap. If there is, make sure it is the 'right' way around.

moeburn

It will work, but of all the capacitors out there, it is the worst sounding.  If you are doing a distortion circuit, it probably won't matter.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: moeburnIt will work, but of all the capacitors out there, it is the worst sounding.  If you are doing a distortion circuit, it probably won't matter.

Yeah, they do seem to give a pretty "muffled" sound. Some certain famous circuits use them, though, and they sound good to me. I think it depends on the size used and where it is in the circuit.

moeburn

Quote from: Paul MarossyYeah, they do seem to give a pretty "muffled" sound. Some certain famous circuits use them, though, and they sound good to me. I think it depends on the size used and where it is in the circuit.

For a transparent sound, a straight line is best.  A Ceramic cap looks like it cuts the lows and boosts the hights, which is usually what you dont want.  The electrolytics are just terrible.

Paul Marossy

QuoteA Ceramic cap looks like it cuts the lows and boosts the hights, which is usually what you dont want.

Yeah, low voltage ceramic caps suck. The high voltage ones (1kV & up) aren't too bad as far as hysteresis goes. Look at that same Steve Bench page.  :wink:

jaguarcat311

i switched that polarized cap out with a metal film one, the pedal now works fine, where it didnt before. that solves my gretsch controfuzz pedal problem.....what a wierd pedal. i played it through my girlfriends twin reverb last night using her dads american tele deluxe........when i hit a chord hard, i got clean twang which quickly faded into the distortion... really interesting effect.

Paul Marossy

It would be nice to hear a soundclip...  :wink:

jaguarcat311

it would, wouldnt it.................. is there a place i can post a soundclip of it? or can i attach it to a post or what?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: jaguarcat311it would, wouldnt it.................. is there a place i can post a soundclip of it? or can i attach it to a post or what?

You would have to upload the file onto a server that is WWW accessible, or email it to whomever.

jaguarcat311

what this forum needs is a spot to post soundclips of pedals....know anywhere that will host files for free?

Paul Marossy

Quote from: jaguarcat311what this forum needs is a spot to post soundclips of pedals....know anywhere that will host files for free?

Not a bad idea, except that storage space could get out of hand. There are several dot coms out there that offer free webspace for things like this. Unfortunately, I don't know of any to recommend, I pay for my server. Your ISP might offer free webpages, I know AT&T does (which is my ISP).

jaguarcat311

alright, if i need a 25 uf capacitor, and all i got is a 22uf and a 3.3 uf, do i put them in series or parallel to get around 25uf?

Paul Marossy

jaguarcat311

would series subtract then?

moeburn

Quote from: jaguarcat311would series subtract then?

It would be the same as putting resistors in paralell.  If they are equivalent, you divide by the number you are putting in series.  two 100uF caps in series would equal 50uF.