Box powers on even when jack not inserted

Started by Pine, July 25, 2005, 12:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pine

I have built two of these "boutique boosts" and they both have the same problem: The box will power up even when there is no jack inserted into the input. The layout I got from this diagram from general guitar gadgets:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/joam_lo_sm_b.gif

What am I connecting incorrectly?

ninoman123

You either have the jack wired wrong or you bought the wrong jack.

Pine

Well, I wired both of them exactly as shown in the picture, and it is a switchcraft stereo jack in both boxes. Is the picture correct?

ninoman123

Yes the layout is right, that means that you must have something wired wrong...check again.

Samuel

Um, I may be wrong about this, but this is sort of an issue I have with GGG layouts:

Doesn't the fact that the battery (-) is tied to the sleeve of the input jack mean that it is connecting through the case to the sleeve of the output jack, which is then connected to board ground, completing the power connection?

It seems to me that you would want the battery negative going to the ring of the input jack, with the sleeve of the input jack connected to board ground.

bwanasonic

Are you using an adapter or battery? Most of my builds, as well as commercial pedals, will *light up* with only a DC adapter plugged in.

Kerry M

Samuel

And yes in the above layout the pedal will power on with the DC jack inserted regardless of whether or not the input plug is present...

puretube

simply swap "sleeve" and "ring" @ J1...

Pine

I actually tried swapping them at J1, because it hadn't worked right with the first box, and I still have the same problem

Pine

Quote from: bwanasonicAre you using an adapter or battery? Most of my builds, as well as commercial pedals, will *light up* with only a DC adapter plugged in.

Kerry M

It lights up with either a battery or an adapter

niftydog

Remove the sleeve connection of J2, it is superfluous and could be causing your problem (well spotted Samuel!)

OR: are you absolutely positive that you are soldering the wires to the correct terminals on J1? Many times people will buy a switched mono jack instead of a stereo jack and wire negative to the switch instead of the sleeve/ring terminals. Double check it with a stereo jack plug and a multimeter.

What happens when you plug a cable into the input?
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Paul Marossy

QuoteMany times people will buy a switched mono jack instead of a stereo jack and wire negative to the switch instead of the sleeve/ring terminals

My money is on that.  :wink:

Pine

Samuel was right, the ring and the sleeve needed to be switched from the way they appear in the drawing, I thought I had switched them, but was mistaken, now it works correctly. Thank you all for your help and your time.

Pine

Paul Marossy

Good thing I'm not a betting man!  :oops:
Glad you got it working properly.  8)

Samuel

Nerts, I was hoping Paul's previous post was an implied $150,000 bet.

Glad you got it working, Pine.

petemoore

Quote from: Paul Marossy
QuoteMany times people will buy a switched mono jack instead of a stereo jack and wire negative to the switch instead of the sleeve/ring terminals

My money is on that.  :wink:
In cases like this, a DMM can help prevent considerable amout of hair loss from head scratching !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: SamuelNerts, I was hoping Paul's previous post was an implied $150,000 bet.

Glad you got it working, Pine.

LOL.  :lol:  And I live in Las Vegas of all places!  :shock: Well, I don't gamble, so I guess if the shoe fits...  :wink: