freeper circuit

Started by joegagan, July 25, 2005, 09:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joegagan

In my studio work lately I've found the need for wahs of different types, and sweeping filters for 'heavy' guitar sounds.

The traditional crybaby/vox circuit has too much personality in some cases - it sounds like 800 million other wah guitar parts we've all heard for 35 years.

With heavy fuzz, skyripper etc I found the smoother less intense sweep of the shin ei type circuit to be a nice filter. it also has a sweet clean sound for funk rhythm etc. of course the shin ei is still a vox at heart but the inductor is  a little transformer that imparts its own, less intense vibe.

I also tried building Tim Escobedo's Idiot wah and the Simonton Twin T from RG Keen's Wah page.
I like the Idiot wah and came up with a set of mods for it that I like, I will post them later.
For now check out the mods to the Simonton circuit. I intensified the sweep and eliminiated a few parts. and gave it a name .

*note 7 26, reversed orientation of input cap, schem is correct now I think.. freeper
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

casey

Casey Campbell

DDD

joegagan,
thank you a lot!
The circuit is just what I need today, and here is it.
Too old to rock'n'roll, too young to die

Marcos - Munky

Very interesting. I will try it.

jmusser

Hey Joe, good to hear from you as always. Would there be a song that we would know that would give us an approximation of the Freeper's tone? Please say it sounds just like the "White Room" wah!  :wink:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Arn C.

Joe,
 What taper pot for the freq sweep hot pot?

Thanks!
Arn C.

petemoore

Hey how ya doin' Joe Gagan?
 HeY I built it but can't bias it*
 TWin T itself does sound nastey IAGWay, I flipped the Whisker Biscuit on too high a Voltage and it went flat, BleWmpp...
 *I think I'll put a stop resistor on top of the what turned out to be 8k4 Emitter pot, I didn't follow the gain recomendadtions, substituting some Si's did seem to help. I need to make another adaptor for my DMM's 'deep hole' hfe gain socket  :arrow: /...
 I'll get out a Fuzz later, the sweep tone seemed intesly sweepy and the nastiness I encountered might be a key element to...intense sounding sweeps.
 Also about C1, with NPn like that the cap could do a 180?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

joegagan

thanks everyone.
pete, hope you get it dialed, and thanks for the heads up( cap orientation), obviously I used another schem )pnp) to draw this one and missed it

The taper of a hot potz II seems to be 100k linear. different pots work fine, you get  the trebliest spot in the sweep in the middle of a 100k, beyond the trebly is a sort of normal guitar tone. this would work well with the 180 degree rotation available in crybaby wahshells, just set your gear to hit how you like it to sound.

Jeff, the only thing that comes to mind is the more 'pop' sounding rhythm guitar parts from the 60s and 70s. it doesn't have the vocal growl ( or barf sound) in the mids like a good vox/crybaby.

I have heard that the old Colorsound wah is a Twin T, it has a really smooth sweet sweep like sonic candy.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

MartyB

joegagan

Marty, wow that was cool , thanks for doing that layout.
you guys are super fast these days!

puretube

Quote from: MartyBCorrected my layout for the input cap orientation:

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/MartyBs/freeperlayout?full=1

but in your schemo it`s oppositely polarized...

-Jk-

Now this looks very interesting. Any sound samples?  :wink:

joegagan

Hope to be making a few soundsamples next week.

petemoore

I'd like to express thanks to Marty, from everyone, especially for anyone who uses the layout[s.
 These layouts get 'gone over' and we find errors that 'could' be repeated.
 They reduce the odds of errors, and make it easier to end up with a clean build which may also be easier to debug !!!
 Thanks to the 'Layouts People" !!!  :D
 I like to do my part when I can, but leave the 'artwork' to those who have an excellent propensity for doing them, processing and posting them.
 Thank you for posting layouts !!!
 Now, I get to try again on my perf version, measureing resistance 'actuals' on the board [between open transistor sockets and V+, V-, whatever..] :oops: ...figuring or pulling one end...lol.
 Only problem with layouts is they take away some of the debugging fun!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.