Started by MartyMart, July 27, 2005, 11:44:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/

Bottom two in the list, came out a bit "quiet" but should give you the
picture !!!
Excuse the "noodling" on the second one

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Wild Zebra

Nice!!  Mudhoney would be proud.  What diodes and trannies did you use?
"your stripes are killer bro"

Yun

how did you record that eh?  I mean, guitars, other effects, amp, etc.?

My superfuzz sounds nothing like that, but i wish it did hahahahaha
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

MartyMart

5 X 2N5088 1 X MPSA18 (at the final output)
2 X 1N34A and 1 X 1N4148 diodes for a bit of assymetry

Recorded through JMP-1 into Logic pro, no eq, touch of delay it sounds
better through a valve amp & 1X12 !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Wild Zebra

"your stripes are killer bro"

Yun

Quote from: MartyMart5 X 2N5088 1 X MPSA18 (at the final output)
2 X 1N34A and 1 X 1N4148 diodes for a bit of assymetry

Recorded through JMP-1 into Logic pro, no eq, touch of delay it sounds
better through a valve amp & 1X12 !!

Marty.

Ah, i was wondering where that beefy sound was comming from  :wink:
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

petemoore

SUPERFUZZY!!!
 I gotta whip mine out again soon now... :evil: .
 Funny how the Superfuzz has a propensity for training you how to play a Superfuzz 8) .
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jmusser

Well Marty, I'm surprised to say this, but I'm not a big fan of that particular tone. To me, it's too fuzzy. I believe this circuit normally uses about all 2N2222 transistors, so the 2N5088s would naturally drive it harder. I would have to say that I like RDVs samples better than these because of that. I know in the realm of fuzz, it's supposed to be fuzzy, but there is a point where you give up tone for fuzz, and in my opinion, that's where your at with this one. I remember back when I built RDVs version of the Si Tone Bender. It used a 5089 on the front that just destroyed the tone. I subbed in a 5088, and that made a whole different creature out of it, because it wasn't being driven so hard. That's my 2 cents though, and we all like different things.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

petemoore

Some of the NPN si positions in the SF aren't gain stages, swapping them can change harmonic emphasis or amount of  octave.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Incidentally, you don't really NEED the diodes to make this thing sound evil.  I have a diode select/lift switch on mine, and there really IS no "clean" sound available, even without diodes.

MartyMart

Well, I have to admit, those samples are at "full bore" !! and only using the "scooped" setting :D
This does sound different with gtr backed off a bit and neck pickup etc.
I also didn't show the "octave" in those samples, I just liked them for
their "Heavy Metalness"     ...  :twisted:
I didn't bother recording the octave setting - we all know how that sounds
and that BTW works quite well  !
Anyway, I'm pleased to have fixed it and VERY happy with its range of
sounds now :D

originaly, I tried about 20 different "sets" of transistors and there was not a whole lot of tonal / fuzz difference IMO ?
same now that its working correctly ....

Marty.

Bill Bergman

Sounds pretty good to me. Think I'll dig mine out and try it again. I can't remember if it sounded as good.

Yun

Sorry for bringing up this thread so much (just a REALLY huge fan of the super-Fuzz) .  

I've gots one of the first few additions (mines is around the first 5-10 made) of a Black cat Super-fuzz.  

What i was wondering is this:  Does youse guys's Super-fuzzes drop in volume when you select the tone switch to "scooped" eh?  

How would i go about finding a remedy for this eh?