rolling off high end on digital delay signal.

Started by scaesic, July 29, 2005, 09:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scaesic

anyone have any mods/schems for this pedal?
id quite like to mod to roll off the highs on the delayed notes.

scaesic

its a Guyatone:DIGITAL DELAY PS-029
any ideas?

Cabezahead

I always hesistate to answer people's questions 'cause I really have very little idea what i'm talking about...

But I think what you're looking for is a low pass filter at the very end of your circuit.  So - wherever the circuit connects to the output jack... You want to put a capacitor and a resistor (in series) to the ground in parallel with the connection to the output.

I'm not sure which way you want the cap and the resistor... Do a forum search for low pass filter or LPF.

-CH

Cabezahead

I did some searching... You want a resistor into a cap into the ground... and that's in parallel with the output I believe.

That's what i'd try first at least.

-CH

scaesic

thatd filter out everything, but i guess i could do that if i could find the "mixer" of wet and dry signals, and put the lpf on the wet signal.
But that'd only work if i was using the wet and dry outputs, i'm just using the wet one. hmmm.

scaesic

plus that'd have to be pre output buffer.

Cabezahead

Edit: got it now... Forgot that a delay is not as simple as a distortion - you have original signal involved with the wet one..  Gatcha.

-CH

tommy.genes

I'm not familiar with the Guyatone delay, nor do I have a schematic, but this could be a case similar to the Boss DD-2/3 high cut mod. (Do a search in this forum).

With the old Boss digital delay design (DD-2, DD-3, DD-3 Reissue), you could effetively put a LPF in the feedback path by adding a capacitor (around 0.1uF) across the outer two lugs of the FEEDBACK pot. This is possible because the older design still used an analog feedback path - only the delay line itself is digital. The newer design (DD-5, DD-6) does feedback digitally somehow, so this mod doesn't work. Analogman does have a mod for the newer DD-5/6 design, but that's his little secret, and it's supposedly more difficult to do (SMT components and all).

One other point, by putting the LPF in the feedback path, each repeating delay gets progressively more dull (less bright). This sounds most like an analog delay. If, however, you just want a little high cut on the repeats without each one becoming less bright, you could put the cap across the E. LEVEL knob on the DD-2/3.

Again, how all this relates to the Guyatone, I'm not sure, but good luck.

-- T. G. --
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

formerMember1

i have a Boss DD-6.  Very unhappy witht the treble delay sound.  Is there any other way to get it to repeat warmer?  I think you already explained this but am not sure.   I don't think i could add a cap to the feedback pot.
i'll have to go look.

i would rather do the mods myself, although Analog Man does do awesome work.

tommy.genes

If you do a search here, you will find posts from people who have discovered that the FEEDBACK "pot" on the DD-6 isn't a pot at all, but rather a digital rotary encoder. So it's only inputing a numerical value into the microprocessor, not passing signal through it. Thus, putting a cap across it won't change the sound at all.

And on his page, Analogman says (I think) that this mod requires replacing tiny surface-mount parts, so it is not a DIY project. If you contact him, maybe he'll still tell you how to do it though.

-- T. G. --

BTW, I'm in the process of doing a high cut mod on a DD-2 right now, and it sounds really good. On some settings, it's hard to tell the difference from my DM-3. The DD-2 doesn't self-oscillate in quite the same way as the DM-3, though. It's still interesting, but different. When I finish assembling the DD-2, maybe I'll see what it and the DM-2 can do together - in a feedback loop!  :twisted:
"A man works hard all week to keep his pants off all weekend." - Captain Eugene Harold "Armor Abs" Krabs

Joe Hart

formerMember1, I have a DD6, too, and from what I can figure, it is quite a different animal from the previous models. If you find anything out, I would love to hear about it! But what I found isn't that promising. :-(
-Joe Hart

formerMember1

Joe Hart:

yeah same here,  It seems that the DD-6 can  only be modified by someone like analog man, since the parts are so small.  This is the same case with my Dunlop Crybaby classic, parts are like sesame seeds.  And the pedal(dunlop wah) sucks anyway.  probably just use the enclosure.

if i find anything about the DD-6 i will be sure to post it. :wink:

scaesic

Quote from: tommy.genesIf you do a search here, you will find posts from people who have discovered that the FEEDBACK "pot" on the DD-6 isn't a pot at all, but rather a digital rotary encoder. So it's only inputing a numerical value into the microprocessor, not passing signal through it. Thus, putting a cap across it won't change the sound at all.

And on his page, Analogman says (I think) that this mod requires replacing tiny surface-mount parts, so it is not a DIY project. If you contact him, maybe he'll still tell you how to do it though.

-- T. G. --

BTW, I'm in the process of doing a high cut mod on a DD-2 right now, and it sounds really good. On some settings, it's hard to tell the difference from my DM-3. The DD-2 doesn't self-oscillate in quite the same way as the DM-3, though. It's still interesting, but different. When I finish assembling the DD-2, maybe I'll see what it and the DM-2 can do together - in a feedback loop!  :twisted:
what value caps did you use to mod the dd-2?
also, why are you making a digital delay sound more analouge, if you already have analouge delay??

tommy.genes

Quote from: scaesicwhat value caps did you use to mod the dd-2?
also, why are you making a digital delay sound more analouge, if you already have analouge delay??

I'll probably settle on 0.1uF. On one hand, I'd like to make it a little larger - say 0.22uF - to get more of a high cut, but then you get very few repeats even at the highest feedback setting. 1uF is definitely too much.

As to why I'm modding: there are times when I want the digital delay clarity and there are times when I don't. By modding the DD-2 and installing a small toggle switch to go between stock and mod, I can have both in one pedal, taking less space on the board.

-- T. G. --