TS9DX True Bypass Mod= Room?

Started by formerMember1, July 30, 2005, 03:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerMember1

Did anybody ever drill a hole in the TS9 and put a true bypass switch in.  I was wondering if there is enough room in there for it to fit between the jacks, before i drill it.  If so,  3PDT or DPDT? :P   It is driving me nuts with my RM and fuzz etc,...

I read all the threads and GEOFX and What not,  :wink:  

thanks  

PS:I read tons and tons of  mixed reviews from this forum about changing to a JRC4558 chip.  I don't know if they are talking about new reissue chips or old ones from the 80's.

jimbob

I changed the ic in my ts-9 and did the 808 mods. Not a huge difference but a little..Enough to say "why not." IMOA. I didnt drill a hole. Pointless really- its not that bad of a tone sucker. I socketed my jrc4558 so sometime i want to try a burr brown in there for comparisons.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

TheBigMan

formerMember1

thanks for the pic, that proves it.  I saw steve vai in concert in the G3 last year or so,(maybe 2 years ago).  He had the switch the same way.
He said he uses his boss Ds1 for rythym, and switches to the tubescreamer for lead.

QuotePointless really- its not that bad of a tone sucker

jimbob: you are right it isn't, but i can't stand it next to my RM or Fuzz pedals.  It makes them suck.   I was thinking about not even using the Tube screamer cuz everybody uses one.  I still want to mod it though for studio work, and for exp...

thanks for the reply though :wink:

formerMember1

So what switch does everybody use in the TS9DX or TS9 for true Bypass?

I never realized it before but after looking at the picture above that "The Big MAN" posted, it looks as if you use the top switch for true bypass, and use the added lead volume pot on the left side for volume level, and the bottom switch for lead boost.  That is awesome!!!   :icon_mrgreen:

Anybody  ever do that to their tubescreamer?  ???

"The Big MAN":
Where did you get that above picture?

PS: Gotta go read the "technology of tubscreamers" again,  :icon_wink:

zacharybroyles

Here's my True Bypassed TS9DX

Here's where I found out how to do it (Thanks Robert Keeley)
http://www.musicianshotline.com/archive/monthly/pedal_power/0704.htm

zacharybroyles

Oh and it fits between the jacks, but Its TIGHT!!!!!!!!! I think its worth true bypassing, It really made my pedal come alive, but I did quite a few other mods to it. and it has a COOL Green LED  :o

formerMember1

thanks so much zacharybroyles  for the reply and link!!

:D

zacharybroyles

no problem man! Enjoy. That mod took me a while to do but true bypassing my TS9DX was the best mod I've ever done. I've had people come up to me after shows just saying how great my guitar sounded...It's a nice feeling.

TheBigMan

Quote from: formerMember1 on October 03, 2005, 08:46:25 PM
So what switch does everybody use in the TS9DX or TS9 for true Bypass?

I never realized it before but after looking at the picture above that "The Big MAN" posted, it looks as if you use the top switch for true bypass, and use the added lead volume pot on the left side for volume level, and the bottom switch for lead boost.  That is awesome!!!   :icon_mrgreen:

Anybody  ever do that to their tubescreamer?  ???

"The Big MAN":
Where did you get that above picture?

PS: Gotta go read the "technology of tubscreamers" again,  :icon_wink:

That's a Robert Keeley TS-9 Deluxe.  Check it out at www.ts9deluxe.com

theguy316

Does anyone know how to do the footswitch boost and knob for the ts-9 deluxe mods.

TheBigMan

Quote from: theguy316 on December 11, 2005, 07:29:51 PM
Does anyone know how to do the footswitch boost and knob for the ts-9 deluxe mods.

One of two ways methinks.
1. Like the FullDrive 2, which is basically a bit of a hack.  The stock gain pot actually limits the gain, switching in a larger value pot gives the illusion of more gain.

2. Convert one of the buffers to a booster.  Drop in an LPB-1/2 type booster or whatever you like in place of one of the emitter-followers at the input or output and use the flip-flop to turn it on via a relay.  Instant solo boost!

dyork423

I tried making my TS-9DX true bypass by drilling a hole and installing a 3PDT switch. It's tight, but I was able to get everything to fit in. I followed Robert Keeley's directions (from the link posted above) and everything looks good, but I must have hooked up something wrong because now the pedal sounds completely terrible!

With my amp set on normal apartment volume, I plug the pedal in and the sound that comes through my amp is barley audible. When I crank up the volume on the amp a really tinny, faint, clean sound comes through. Clearly the true bypass isn't working... When I hit the stomp switch, the LED turns on, volume increases slightly, the overdrive kicks in, and all the knobs work as they should, but the sound is equally as thin, quiet, and horrible as it is with the pedal "bypassed." I have triple checked my connections and even resoldered the new switch rotated 180 degrees around so the numbers in Keeley's instructions would start from the opposite corner. Same thing either way...

Do any of you who have successfully done this mod have any advice for where I could begin to troubleshoot? Is there any additional work required on the smaller circuit boards attached to the pots on the DX that are not on the TS-9? Keeley only discusses this mod for a TS-9, so maybe?

I have also done the TS-808 mods (new op amp and resistors), but I don't think that should make any difference with the true bypass. Thanks a lot.