Ring Frob question...NTE996?

Started by petemoore59, September 05, 2003, 11:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore59

I've got a NTE996 [the cross-sub for the LM3080] in the first chip socket...I tried a Dyna Comp with a 996 and no luck with either build.
 I'm trusting that the 996 IS a good sub for the part called out in the schem? I remem no probelems with every other NTE sub I've used.
 Any suggestions about what to test/check and get the Ring Frobnicator  ckt working?
 Right now the signal passes, [unefkted]...the 10k pot tapers signal to zero [towards one end of it's range] the other two pots make no 'diffy'.
 The 2 seriesed LEDS are lighting up [prtty brightly], I'm using Red LED's. the third LED is in series with the 1n914 I'm using stays unlit.
  And I'm using a TL082 for the other OA, and a 5088 for the Q. Pulling any of the actives cuts the signal at output.

toneless

I haven't made the ring frobnicator(yet),but i will.
I have gathered some notes from the old forum but i don't know if they are wrong or ok...
R6(10M) :someone told that he had to reduse it to 1M in order to be able to bias out the signal.
R11 :reduse it to 4.7k to suplly sufficient current for LFO.
Those problems might be from the low bias voltage from the led.
I think that all the leds must light and have about 3.2v ...
I see that John Holli is using a BC184L in his schematic.The L meens that the transistor's leads are not like the usual desighns,for example the collector may be the middle lead.
You should better use TL062 for the opamp.

Sorry for my english
Nick Prionas

Paul Marossy

I used the NTE996 in Anderton's volume pedal de-scratcher, and had no problems...

petemoore59

I tried the 996 in some builds [marked Sk9201...I have many now..lol] and I think the dyna Comp with no goes...coulld be any coincidence...
 Thanks for the tips I will try!
 The Tyco transformers part of the last order came in today [2.5 months wait time] and I'm also excited about getting that one going ... ya know..the "Now let's try something like what got Jimi going" vibe I've been persueing for sometime now...!
 I hope to provide a full reports in DIY reviews sometime soon. !!-

brett

Hi.  Your 3rd LED should be pulsing in tune with the LFO, which means slow pulsing or glowing continuously depending on which setting the switch is on (Trem/ring).  

On my Frob, the LFO wouldn't oscillate unless the supply voltage was down around 8V.  (MY supply was at 9.4V) So I built a voltage divider of a 1k and a 4.7k resistor.  Tapping off the middle made the LFO and the frobnicator work.

Since then, I've also wondered whether replacing the two biasing red leds with 3 red leds would have also achieved the same result.  

Good luck!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

mattburnside

I also had trouble getting the LFO to "O." I was using TL072. Maybe I'll dig this one back out and try to troubleshoot it. Any other notes from people who have built this one successfully?
Tonepad -- DIY FX and amp stuff
The Gobos -- Half the talent and twice the beer of those other bands.