SOT: build list recommendations + post yours!

Started by corbs, August 03, 2005, 04:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corbs

Well i'm about to make a rather large order for these bad boys:

Orange Squeezer - i don't have a comp!
T.M.K, Tripple Fuzz, Uglyface - i love mad fuzz!
BSIAB 2 - only one i'm not sure about (my amp is already kinda marshally), may go for a fulldrive instead
Rangmaster - natch
Tremulus Lune - don't have a trem either!

i have delay/swirly stuff covered for now methinks so od/fuzz is the order of the day. is there anything you think i'm missing? post yours if you have one!

---Edit---
these are also on some future build list:
EA Trem
Tree-legged dog
Some kind of Rat
SparkleBoost
Stratoblaster
Bazz Fuzz
LofoMofo
Valve Fezter
Tube Reamer

MartyMart

I dont know what else you have, but here's a few "goodies"

1 - a decent clean booster, AMZ Mosfet boost/Sparkle drive
2 - a "medium" gain OD, such as Phillip's "Liquid Drive"
3 - Tremolo, Dragonfly's vero version of the "Kay Tremolo" is nice and
choppy.
4 -  a BIG FAT & NASTY fuzz/distortion, such as Roger Mayers "Mongoose"  which is in my Layouts above ..... :D
5 - Torchy's version of the "Phase 45/Univibe"  is a VERY nice build

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

corbs

uh, oh. i think someone just increased my list size  :evil: (:D)

a clean boost could come in handy actually, i think it's made it in.

also i'm, not really sure about the differences between the tremulus,EA and Kay tremolos. do any have a particularly good smooth to chop blend?

jmusser

One thing I didn't notice on your list, was an up octave. There are a bunch of good ones out there. I'll recommend Gusses Simple Octave Up or Tim's Octup Blender, if you want a way to add clean and up octave fuzz together as you desire. It's very thick sounding. Then, you didn't have a down octave either, so you may as well go ahead and build Joe Davisson's Shoctave Harmonizer while you're at it :wink:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Mark Hammer

I think a good question to ask oneself before pursuing the "next build" is "What do I want to accomplish?".  There are a bunch of different possible responses to this question, all of which are completely valid:

a) I want to absolutely nail THIS tone.
b) I want to have at least one pedal that does THIS sort of thing in my arsenal (perhaps you've never tried one).
c) I want to have something that gives my playing style a whack on the side of the head and introduces some new elements to my playing or chops.
d) I want to learn more about this particular process or the role of this particular component.
e) I want something really simple and pretty much guaranteed to work so I can have confidence in my DIY chops....again. (and yes, there IS some autobiographical content there).
f) I want to reorganize my rig, increase its functionality, or improve my signal path.
g) I want something that will make good use of all the components of THIS type that I have lots/too-many of.
h) (an off-beat one) I want something that will make good use of this unusual chassis/switch/pot/chip that I came into possession of.

There are many more possible answers, but these cover a lot of ground for most people.  Figuring out which of these responses map onto your own thinking will generally help provide a short list that is useful, helpful, interesting, and feasible.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

The Ross Phaser is one of the most valuable pedals you can build. That one takes my vote :)

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

jmusser

There you go again Mark.... clouding all the issues with facts :) You are exactly right. All we can do is make suggestions because of our own preferences. He can only really answer "what's next?" him self. Did you you just go on vacation or something? It seems like you've really been cranking (pun fully intended) out the circuits and information at quite a rate lately.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Mark Hammer

Quote from: jmusserDid you you just go on vacation or something? It seems like you've really been cranking (pun fully intended) out the circuits and information at quite a rate lately.

Sort of.  I finally got a car again last week, so some things that used to take 2hrs now take 20 minutes.  As well, I am nearing the end of my government language training.  I have my exam in 2hrs, and as my classmates have finished their respective training one by one these past few weeks, my daily schedule at "school" has gotten more flexible and included more downtime.

Other than that, I suppose everyone has peaks and troughs in their industriousness.

Oh yeah, I'm trying to get to posting #4000 :lol:  :lol:

jmusser

Tone Pad, the Ross Phaser is awesome. I have been lucky enough to play through one of originals, unfortunately, no amount of money has been able to loosen it from the owner's grip! It's one of those big white boxes with the power cord coming out of the back. Oh man!!

robotboy

Favorites so far: Bazz Fuzz, Uglyface, Sparkleboost, BSIAB II, Rangemaster, Tremulus Lune

On the horizon: Tyco, RM, or bobtavia (can't decide which), Neovibe, Small Clone, Blue Magic, Phase 45 w/ univibe mod

C Bradley

I'm designing most of my own stuff now, so I'm trying all the stuff I drew up in the student version of CircuitMaker.  :twisted:  :)

I've got these circuits planned:

1) square-wave distortion (direct coupled 2N3906's)
2) octave down (using a JK flip-flop)
3) tremolo (tweaking my old design)
4) Geofex's opamp wah (in the works right now)
5) opamp booster (gain of 26)
Chris B

Got Fuzz?

mojotron

Well, everyone likes Fuzz Faces - these are particularly subjective as to which, and how to build. But, it you haven't built one - I would recomend building an Si one - a lot of people want a Ge one, but unless you've built a FF - it would be good to start with a Si one or something like the Axis Face from FuzzCentral.

Boosts: Sparkle boost is great - IMO. I used the GGG GEB layout and swizzled the J201 pins - that works great!!

A TubeScreamer is a good one to build if you haven't done one, or wanted a good general purpose overdrive - lots of mods too. The project at GGG is really nice for this one - layout, schematic........

This is what's on my list for this weekend:
1) Finishing up the Disortion Pro clone (if I don't put it at the top of the list it never gets worked on - I've been working on it for ever now..) - almost done - had to re-do the layout again for 9mm Alpha pots on the board.

2) Finishing up my own OD/Distortion pedal design - like the world needs another - 6 knobs, no opamps, no diodes - it's yet another FETish pedal 8) lots of dynamics/tone yada yada - but believe me it rocks! Wanted to replace my BOSS ROD-10.

3) Tremulus Lune (my EA is cool - but a little too simple)

4) Tube Driver or something quacky - don't know which yet.

gaussmarkov

it's sort of embarassing to pile on because i haven't finished my first pedal yet.  :oops: but i expect you all will be understanding that i have a list, too. :D

1) finish my b. blender (i just have to box it now)
2) dual amz mosfet booster (i've successfully perfed a single one of these)
3) 3-legged dog
4) sili-face 2
5) ross comp
6) tremulus lune
7) bsiab 2

disclaimer:  i reserve the right to change any and all entries at any time.  order is subject to capricious or whimsical revision.  no notice of changes will be given unless prompted by another thread such as this one.  all other rights reserved.  no permissions granted.  any promises, implied or stated, will be broken.  rock on.

petemoore

My choices for answers to this question prefer to be based on what you don't have for playing electric guitar, everything ithat would be used in the signal path [pickups to speaker cab] and maybe some power supply info too.
 Personal stuff, excuse my inquisitiveness...PM me or post.
 The gear I used has influence on the gear I use.
 A read through at least the [less technical if your'e less technically inclined like me] 'texty' parts of "Technology of the Fuzz Face' is a great resource for anyone before considering a FF build. That and the many varied  :D / :cry: / build reports.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

corbs

Quote from: Mark HammerI think a good question to ask oneself before pursuing the "next build" is "What do I want to accomplish?".

I guess the main driving force for me (at the moment) is to try a bit of everything, so i can build a core set of tools i can develop on.

I would consider myself an experimental guitarist, in so much that i'm not really interested in matching a particular tone or effect, but want to create something unique. in order to do that however i need to experiment with whats already out there, and feel my way to my own niche.

Quote from: petemooreMy choices for answers to this question prefer to be based on what you don't have for playing electric guitar, everything ithat would be used in the signal path [pickups to speaker cab] and maybe some power supply info too.

i did think about posting it, but i didn't want to bore anyone to death :). i don't really have a static setup that i regularly gig with (in fact i don't gig at all! - bedroom guitarist :( ), or have an effects that i feel can't be replaced or combined with anything else. plus i'm going to be building my own amp soon, which has it's own rather large tonal implications (i'm thinking of aiming for a fendery/vox :D ). so all in all - think blank slate :D

thanks for all the opinions so far!

SonicVI

So far I've built a Big Muff and Bass Brassmaster and am currently working on an Orange Squeezer/Ross Compressor combo and a Hog's Foot/LPB/Screaming Tree combo (a.k.a. the Screaming Hog Booster).  My current list of future projects is:
Maestro FZ-1A
Tube Screamer
Tremulus Lune
Roctave Divider
Small Clone
Phaseur Fleur or Small Stone
Mutron III
Jawari
LA Light
Maestro or Anderton Ring Modulator
Rebote 2
Paia 9700 modular synth kit
Weber or Mojotone tube amp kit

nelson

Ok my list is mainly based on my love of EH pedals

I am currently working on a clone of the EH echoflanger, I am hunting for an enclosure big enough to fit the PCB I have almost finished populating atleast "on paper". I am going to put add some mods to it too, increased delay time, wet/dry signal mix/switch, stereo mod and true bypass.

I have finished doing the clone theory layout need to beta it.

Then I am moving onto designing a PCB for the EH Polyphase.

Then an EH dlx octave multiplexer.

Inbetween doing all these I am prob going to build a fuzz face or any germanium based fuzz based on the multitude of designs out there, a tubescreamer modded to the hilt and I am hunting for a cheap wah shell to build some sort of wah, any recommendations?.

I plan on doing a sample/hold circuit too

I am filling holes in my pedal board and also divulging my fetish for old EH effects. I STILL havent actually built a booster yet, I have breadboarded alot of em though.

o I am also building a "multi voltage" pedal power supply, in order to accomodate the various running voltages of 9-18v.

I also plan on making a low wattage (5-10W)  practice amp for practicing at night with switchable "rog style" preamps and a footswitchable kay tremelo (or other) onboard o and an effects loop.

there is probably somethiing I am forgetting. My to do list is forever growing, it far exceeds the time I have to actually build  .

:cry:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X