Drum wrap for enclosures?

Started by SonicVI, August 03, 2005, 02:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

Anyone tried using drum wrap for their enclosure?  I requested some samples from this place, http://www.precisiondrum.com, hopefully they'll be large enough to cover the top of a 1590B or BB box.

D.

gez

http://www.precisiondrum.com

The comma was buggering up the link.  :)

Interesting idea.  Huggy Bear would be proud!  :P
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

SonicVI

I got samples in the mail today. they were just little rectangles glued to paper, but I think they'd look pretty cool on the top of a pedal with painted sides. The material is pretty thin and appears like it'd be easliy cut.  The smallest sheet is 6"x~18" and costs about $10-20 depending on the material. So that would be enough to cover up to several hammond boxes depending on which size of course.  

Daniel

bwanasonic

I'd be interested in how this works out, especially how well the material adheres to the box, and how easy it is to work with (cutting and drilling). A *Mother-Of-Toilet-Seat* pedal could look pretty cool!

Kerry M

SonicVI

I tried cutting and drilling some samples and even the thickest of the materials can be cut easily with ordinary scissors and it drills easily, though it is plastic so you may have to file the edges, but it's very easy to work with and would probably adhere very well to metal with contact cement. Switch and pot washer/nuts would help hold it down as well. It doesn't bend sharply so covering a whole box is probably not doable, but just on the top of a painted box would look nice.  I emailed Precision Drum and Houston Percussion Center here in Houston about whether they have a minimum size sheet they will sell or if you could custom order say a 5"x4" sheet just to cover a single hammond 1590BB case for example.  I'll report back when I get a response.

Daniel

RandomRedLetters

I dont know if thise would make a difference since its glued down to a flat surface, but my drummer kept his drum in his van and the heat buckles and waves the drum wrap. But my thought on it.

petemoore

Disregard if this is 'offtrack' or undesirable for your box.
 I'd be thinking of how to 'taper' the 'top plate' so that it looks good where the curve to the sides begins..
 Probly tire of that if I couldn't cut 'n sand to good result...then I'd be thinking of something to 'wrap' the sides and just a bit of the edge of the top with...I've wrapped sides with leather, which, when wrapped tightly mimics the curve between sides and top of the box, covering the edge of the 'top plate'.
 With a leather piece cut perfectly to stretch around all sides, holes in it for the jacknuts to hold down, the exact right length 'spliced tightly' covered in wax paper or plastic, then clamped as stretched.
 Stretching electrical tape around the sides until the glue dries and the leather has adhered to the sides..instead of clamping [another method].
 An old 'glove leather' coat from the thrift store is a good source of cheep leather.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

gez

Is it flexible enough to print on with a lazer printer do you think?
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

SonicVI

The ones that are called "satins" might be but are textured so they might not take the print well and the rest are far too thick to put in a printer.

SonicVI

Precision Drum says no minimum on the size so I'm gonna order some pieces.  I'm gonna do my Orange Squeezer/Ross Comp combo first.  I'll report back with pics when I'm done.

Daniel

SonicVI

Just ordered six  6"x6" squares for $15 shipped. Not bad imo. Just email them what you want and your zip and they'll send you a quote.  Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Daniel