Tone control not working.

Started by Ethan, August 04, 2005, 04:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ethan

How come this tone control doesn't seem to work?

aron

That's a very common circuit and should work fine.

RandomRedLetters

Are you sure you have the 3 lugs on your tone pot wired correctly? From the underside of the pot, with the lugs facing up towards the ceiling, they read from left to right: Ground-Out-In
Sometimes people get the configuration wrong.

The out lug has to be wired back next to the pot-in wire, it cant be wired with the ground wire

Ethan

It's definetly wired correctly.  Maybe test setup is loading something down.
This is my test setup:
Function generator (sin wave, 100mv@1KHz, 50ohm impedance) to tone circuit.  From circuit  to pc speaker input (high z, I hope) to headphones.  I am using a trim pot and tacking on different caps.  I also simulae this in MULTISIM and the frequency response doesn't seem to change either.

Mark Hammer

Do you know how many circuits I have wired up absolutely correctly and they still didn't work?  Lots.  Do you know how many of them involved a pot whose resistive element was either not making good contact with a side lug rivet or with the wiper?  Lots.

Take your needlenose pliers, give the rivets on the pot a little pinch to secure them a little better and try it again to see if the circuit works now.

Ethan

The 50 ohm generator has too low Z to work the filter.  I should have re-read the FAQ which says to put in 4.7k resistor in series with DUT.  At least it simulates.  Now on to the bench.
-ethan