Crumar Roadracer Keyboard Chorus?

Started by Arn C., August 05, 2005, 03:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

Hello All,
    I picked up this keyboard from a friend, he didn't want it anymore.  It worked, but some of the keys didn't work.  I spent a lot of time on the keys and finally got them all working.  I put it away for a while and took it out to give to another friend of mine as her keyboard crapped out on her.
Well, hardly any of the keys worked.
    To make a long story short I gutted the keyboard.  The chorus in this keyboard sounded excellent.  It had two sliders, can't really remember which was what.  I think one said chorus or vibrato(not sure) and I believe if I can remember correctly it was like a volume.  The other one was either pitch or speed(I am thinking pitch, but I may be wrong).
Anyhow this chorus or vibrato whatever sounded really nice, so I scalped this board, but idiot me did not really follow the wires to the pots or the in and out or the power and ground, I was hoping maybe someone could help me with this so I could make a pedal out of it for my guitar.

Here is a comment I read about the chorus section:
QuoteIt has a built in chorus, which is more like a flanger/phaser. At it's higher settings, it's almost an LFO.

Here are some pictures I had a friend take, I labelled all the components:

Thanks!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Well duh...it's a Small Stone.  Check the SS schematic.

Arn C.

Mark,
    That is what I thought, but the sound was much better than the smallstone that I have(an original with a bunch of mods)  The sliders were 2k2 and 1m.

Peace!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Possible differences may be in the sweep width and amount of resonance.  Keep in mind the SS has only two settings of each, and I gather the choices made were some sort of compromise at being all things to all musicians.  In this case, the "client" is a known keyboard, so the values may have simply been more wisely chosen.

Reverse engineer it and maybe you can find out something useful about optimizing your guitar phaser.

Arn C.

Yeah, what I thought was so different was the second pot.  What a difference that makes and of course no color switch.   At least now I have a vague idea of what a flanger sounds like.  But seriously, this thing sounds so cool.   Also I never took voltage readings to see what input voltage is.  Anyhow, I will take your advice and try reverse engineering it, I don't know how to use any programs to make it look pretty, so I will have to do it on a piece of paper.   I hope someone else can use this, too coool...

Thanks!
Arn C.

Vsat

Arn,
Was wondering about that one! Thanks for taking the pictures. Looks like your typical Crumar PCB.
Regards, Mike

Arn C.

Mike,
   I also gutted the rest of the boards, not sure if anyone is interested in them or not. There are 5 smaller pcbs  with  40 pin ic and 12 - 2.2uf electros, 12 diodes(maybe1n914's) ,  12 resistors(470K) and 12 resistors -(320K) and 12 - .47 100v square plastic case caps surrounding the large chip.   and a large main board with ics and tons of diodes and a few resistors(no caps).   I don't need them for anything.  If someone has this keyboard they are welcome to have them.  I think I will keep the power board tho.

Peace!
Arn C.

Vsat

Arn,
Probably many of the chips used in  there are also used in string synths. Top octave generators MK50240, M083, AY-3-etc), keyer/divider chips like S10430, TDA1008 etc... worth saving/making available for repairs. Certainly don't throw them out.
Regards, Mike

thomerow

Hello! I know this topic is more than six years old now, but I decided to post a reply instead of starting a new topic nevertheless. I think this way it is easier for people looking for the same information I was looking for to find something about the Roadracer chorus board on the internet.

Arn, did you manage to build a guitar pedal out of the PCB in the meantime? Or was it perhaps even possible to reverse engineer it? I ask because a friend of mine who is also a guitar player has a Crumar Roadracer which he isn't using much. A few days ago he stumbled over your post and told me about it, and now I am going to try and convert the chorus board to a standalone effect processor.

It would be great if you could post something about the things you found out while playing around with the board!

Cheers,

Thorsten