Transparent box

Started by RandomRedLetters, August 06, 2005, 12:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RandomRedLetters

Anyone know where I could get a transparent/translucent box for effects? Probably thick acrylic or plastic. I tried searching mouser and digikey but I couldnt find anything.

C Bradley

Maybe you could make one out of 1/4" plexiglass. At work we keep some of our inspection equipment in plexiglass boxes made by screwing all the edges together. It would be a lot of work, but they're tough boxes.
Chris B

Got Fuzz?

SonicVI

I don't know where to buy them but Hammond makes them.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg2c.htm

Daniel

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

http://www.hndme.com/storemetalworkhammond1415.html

has those Hammond clear boxes. So do other places, just google

hammond "1415 T"

petemoore

Some one was making them from 1/4 plexi, noting clean edges for glueing is a must, precision sawing and sanding for best adhesion.
 I have a plexiglass Gibson 2 pickup display case...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

SonicVI

I'll bet a few LED's in one of those clear cases would look pretty cool.

petemoore

Quote from: SonicVII'll bet a few LED's in one of those clear cases would look pretty cool.
Maybe try 'feeding the light into the sides' with super brights !!!

RandomRedLetters

Quote from: SonicVII'll bet a few LED's in one of those clear cases would look pretty cool.

That was the whole point, is to light up the box with about 4 superbright LEDs in series.

inverseroom

Won't you have shielding problems?

MjS

You could shield it with aluminiumfoil or shielding-tape. Might give a cool effect! But I wouldn't put a high-gain circuit in there.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

You don't always need extreme shielding, depending what the circuit is, and whether or not you use shielded wire for critical connections.

Hal

Quote from: MjSYou could shield it with aluminiumfoil or shielding-tape. Might give a cool effect! But I wouldn't put a high-gain circuit in there.

wouldnt that defeat hte purpose?

RandomRedLetters

Quote from: Hal
Quote from: MjSYou could shield it with aluminiumfoil or shielding-tape. Might give a cool effect! But I wouldn't put a high-gain circuit in there.

wouldnt that defeat hte purpose?

You could coat the circuit with epoxy, and then cover than in shielding foil (so the foil doesnt short the boards bottom side) but then you just have a big metal looking ball in your pedal, not quite as cool as seeing the guts.

nosamiam

Would it stand up to a stomp?  Or would it crack?

Threefish

I put my Thing Modulator (lazy not-quite-right version using LM567 instead of LMC567) in a translucent blue "imac" jiffy box and a red-blue-green random winking LED inside. Available here is Oz from Altronics and Jaycar. They have clear ones too. I love the way it looks. It's a bit more entertaining to look at than your average stompbox.
Because noise is a fairly relative concept with the T.M. circuit, the shielding issue doesn't really rate a concern, though it probably would be with many circuits. These sorts of boxes are pretty cheap though, so are you really losing out much if you ditch it when it turns out to be a bit noisy? For the visual effect you get, it's worth trying.
Crack the box? I was going to put a block of rubber or something underneath the underside of the switch to support it, but it doesn't really need it. I'm sure you could crack it if you tried, but these boxes do have a bit of give in them and they're stronger than they look.
Try it!
"Why can't I do it like that?"

petemoore

NUTZO?
 Alternate shielding method...untried.
 Get the board and parts completely 'dipped' [sprayed?] n non conductive coating that shielding paint will stick to.
 Completely dip or spray the insulative coating on the board with shielding paint, which is connected to ground.
 Repaint the circuit with the same colors it had before the treatment or other colors... :shock: