Mystery of Pete Cornish SS-2...

Started by mudmen, August 08, 2005, 07:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudmen

Hi,

Lately, I've watched this SS-2 demo and I'm really curious what makes this pedal sound so good :)

http://www.steelbender.com/cornishsoftsustain.html

I've found this inside photo on Cornish official site...

http://www.petecornish.net/G-2_SS-2%20Duplex%20wiring.JPG

(Soft-Sustain is on the right side of enlclosure)

All I can see is that this pedal is based around IC... Maybe someone after watching those clips can tell something more about this design (e.g. what type of clipping etc...)

Some time ago I've heard that this pedal is based on MXR unit (maybe Distortion +)...
David Gilmour :: Gear Forum
http://www.davidgilmour.pq.pl

ocelot

Its a TubeScreamer varient in a very shabby looking box. Build your own

BDuguay

Ocelot.
Do you know for sure that it is a tube screamer variant?
B.

bwanasonic

Quote from: BDuguayOcelot.
B.

You certainly can't tell that from the photos, and I somehow doubt this information is from tracing the circuit, or any first hand experience.

Kerry M

mudmen

That's what this guy who tested SS-2 (Jason Barker) says about SS-2 vs. Tube Screamer:

"I would say the SS-2 has a tube-screamerish element to it but it does so much more. I do like the lower gain sounds on it the best....as an owner of an original TS-808 and various other TS models through the years, I have an appreciation for them.   However, the SS-2 is in another league to me in terms of bigness of sound and versatility. I really have no regrets with the SS-2 and find that my Full-Drives and TS boxes haven't been getting much use since I bought it."

Claus H

Quote from: bwanasonic
B.

You certainly can't tell that from the photos, and I somehow doubt this information is from tracing the circuit, or any first hand experience.

Kerry M

It's not a Tube Screamer it's not soft clipping.. It's hard clipping like a Distortion + but sounds really natural like a overdriven tube :)

Claus H
"Ya' know, these days kids seem to be getting younger and younger." â€" David Foster

cd

Are anyone's statements here based on anything more than staring at a coated PCB or listening to soundclips, i.e. actually reverse engineering the circuit firsthand?

petemoore

Hard to look at and get much from, except I didn't recognize some of the shapes on the board.
 Nice paint job on the interior...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Doug_H

Quote from: cdAre anyone's statements here based on anything more than staring at a coated PCB or listening to soundclips, i.e. actually reverse engineering the circuit firsthand?

Yeah, from what I can tell from this thread, nobody really knows anything about it.

Doug

cd

Quote from: Doug_H
Quote from: cdAre anyone's statements here based on anything more than staring at a coated PCB or listening to soundclips, i.e. actually reverse engineering the circuit firsthand?

Yeah, from what I can tell from this thread, nobody really knows anything about it.

Doug

I have heard all kinds of things.  It's a Tubescreamer.  It's a Distortion+.  It's a Big Muff.  It's a Blue Clipper.  It's a Tube Sound Fuzz.  Nothing verified of course.  I'm tempted to get one just to reverse, but it's out of my "impulse buy" price range so I'd have to sell some stuff first.

mudmen

Cornish pedals are 'secured'...
He uses 'warranty void if removed' stickers on enclosures...

cd

Quote from: mudmenCornish pedals are 'secured'...

The warranty's only for a year after purchase.  Even then, who gives a flying fadoo, short of filling the entire cavity full of epoxy, nothing's going to stop someone determined enough.

The Tone God

Damn it, a sticker! That'll stop anybody cold. Well we're screwed. ;)

I hope Fuller never gets wind of this.

Andrew

MartyMart

Quote from: The Tone God

Damn it, a sticker! That'll stop anybody cold. Well we're screwed. ;)

I hope Fuller never gets wind of this.

Andrew

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Doug_H

Quote from: cd
I'm tempted to get one just to reverse, but it's out of my "impulse buy" price range so I'd have to sell some stuff first.

I'm not the slightest bit curious. I'm sure it sounds wonderful. I have things on my bench right now that sound wonderful too that I don't have the time or $$ to complete. I don't have the time/$/inclination to spend on worrying about what someone else did.

Doug

Claus H

Quote from: Claus H
Quote from: bwanasonic
B.

Kerry M

It's not a Tube Screamer it's not soft clipping.. It's hard clipping like a Distortion + but sounds really natural like a overdriven tube :)

Claus H

I did not RE it I have too much respect for Pete C to do that :) I looked at one and did do a lot of probeing... Enough to get an idea what it's all about..

I have no schems or anymore info.. If you want one pay Pete Cornish

I belive It's the best sounding Overdrive made :) The Barber LTD is also great..

Claus H
"Ya' know, these days kids seem to be getting younger and younger." â€" David Foster

mudmen

Does it produce symmetrical or asymmetrical clipping ? (If it's not a secret)
:)