BOSS CE-2 value

Started by samuelk, August 08, 2005, 05:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelk

is there any "vintage value" in an japanese ce-2???

8 track

Quote from: samuelkis there any "vintage value" in an japanese ce-2???

To the folks why buy stuff on eba_ there is. They seem to fetch $50 to $80+ on a regular basis. They made way too many of them to ever be considered "rare" like say a Dm-2 delay but there is indeed some percevied "vintage value"

Btw, if you're looking to buy a Boss chorus, the CE-3 is the sleeper of the bunch. It is'nt as mid-rangy sounding. It's cheaper. It also blends well with other guitars in a band setting. (something a CE-2 does not do very well) It also does a wet/dry stereo output thing thats kind of cool. My .02

jimbob

I know im wanting one. I think they sound great compared to alot off crap out there now.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

Btw- I have a birthday coming on this week and would be glad to purchase it from you if  u want to get rid of it for a fair price.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

bettycat

I wouldn´t care to much about this vintage twaddle and if a stompbox is valueable or not - do you want a collector´s item or a good sounding stompbox ? For me the CE-2 has a very high (individual) value because it´s the best sounding chorus I have ever played in all those years. It works perfectly with my rig and eats even the ultrahigh-priced boutique stuff for breakfast. Don´t care if it´s MIJ or MIT, get one and play it ! If you like it, keep it - if not ..... you can easily sell it off again or convert it into a good sounding vibrato pedal, similar to the old Boss VB-2.

samuelk

bettycat

i just don´t want to pay overprize for it. so i wanted to know if the 69$ for a ce-2 in nearly mint condition is a fair price.

8 track

Quote from: samuelkbettycat

i just don´t want to pay overprize for it. so i wanted to know if the 69$ for a ce-2 in nearly mint condition is a fair price.

Thats about the right asking price. I got My used Ce-2 before eba_ got popular. So I got it pretty cheap. It's a MIJ model too.

The thing is, If you don't like it you will most likley be able to turn it over and get you're money back.

Btw, Bettycat, I have a Ce-2 on my pedalboard too. Point I was getting at is the Ce-3's will get you 85% there for half the money. No insult intended to the Ce-2. It's a great unit.
Best Regards

bettycat

Quote from: samuelkbettycat

Ahh, now I got it  :D For my taste $69 is a super-fair price, I would even go so far to call it a bargain when it is really in mint condition.

bettycat

[quote="8 track]Btw, Bettycat, I have a Ce-2 on my pedalboard too. Point I was getting at is the Ce-3's will get you 85% there for half the money. No insult intended to the Ce-2. It's a great unit.
Best Regards[/quote]

Yeppp, the CE-3 is also a fine chorus and of course underrated. The first edition can easily be modded to CE-2 specs. In some cases the CE-3 works even better than the CE-2.

TheBigMan

Hmmm, must just be me that thinks the CE-3 is utter crap then.  I've had a CE-2,3 and 5 and a DC-2, an Ibanez CS-5, CS-9 and BC-9 and a Zoom Choir and for me the CE-3 is by far the worst of them.  The DC-2 and BC-9 being the best.

bettycat

Quote from: TheBigManHmmm, must just be me that thinks the CE-3 is utter crap then.  I've had a CE-2,3 and 5 and a DC-2, an Ibanez CS-5, CS-9 and BC-9 and a Zoom Choir and for me the CE-3 is by far the worst of them.  The DC-2 and BC-9 being the best.

I think "good" and "bad" are only individual terms meaning "fits perfectly with my rig and playing style" or "don´t fit my rig and playing style" so maybe a CE-3 will sound like crap with your individual rig and perfect with another guys setup. I also decided on the CE-2 because to my ears it sounds better with my setup than the CE-3

8 track

Quote from: TheBigManHmmm, must just be me that thinks the CE-3 is utter crap then.  I've had a CE-2,3 and 5 and a DC-2, an Ibanez CS-5, CS-9 and BC-9 and a Zoom Choir and for me the CE-3 is by far the worst of them.  The DC-2 and BC-9 being the best.

Maybe if you're Ce-3 had "vintage, made in Japan, black label, metal screw, long dash MoJo in would've sounded better.  :lol:  Usually just installing a metal screw makes 'em sound good enough though.

Anyway, what does the Dimention C (Dc-2) sound like? I've heard good things about it and I know it uses presets but never played thru one. (or had the $$$ to own one) Do tell.

TheBigMan

I agree, sound is in the ear of the beholder, but I could get usable sounds out of all of them except the CE-3.  

I've never bought into that "vintage mojo" or MIJ vs MIT thing though.  I had an MIJ CE-2 and when I was sent an MIT CE-2 I did a side by side comparison and couldn't hear any difference.  Nor could I see anything when I opened them up.  I got sent the CE-2 with the description "works intermittently."  The previous owner had opened it up and forgotten to put the insulation sheet back in so the PCB was shorting against the base.  :lol:

As for the DC-2, it's a great sounding chorus.  It just sounds more polished and sits better with the dry sound than other choruses, I don't really know why.  I think the polished part of it comes from it being the only chorus I know of with a compander in it, just like an analog delay.  I'm pretty sure there's clips of it at either tonefrenzy or mode zero.