Ripped/Torn Speaker type fuzz

Started by Freddy205, August 08, 2005, 05:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddy205

Has anyone ever come across something which sounds like this in the DIY world : http://www.effector13.com/pedals/tornspeaker/index.html I'm thinking of trying to combine tim's 'punch in the face' with a modded 'lofo mofo'. Anyone got any tips/tricks/design ideas to share or suggest. I just love the sound of ripped speakers, its just that I don't like ripping my own speakers!

Yun

i've had 2 pedals that could do just that, dude:

-Ibanez FZ-7 Fuzz (the tone-lok ones)
-Rick Grahams "Catch a buzz" buzz box

I prefer the ibanez, man.  Very good pedal....

So; you might wanna invest on the Ibanez- instead of a DIY, Just to get an idea even....
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

RandomRedLetters

I would think clipped LEDs would sound similar, since they clip in a buzzy/crunchy way, and it takes a bit to drive them, just my 2 cents

Freddy205

I might try and come by one of those FY-7 Fuzzes. Has anyone seen a schematic for the Ibanez FY-7? I wouldn't mind a look so I can 'borrow' some of it's ideas for my own ripped speaker fuzz design. I'll keep in mind the redletters comments about red LEDs.

doug deeper

just maka fuzz and misbias it...thats what every thing effector 13 makes is...misbiased fuzz.

Ge_Whiz

The Ibanez FZ-7 is a digital fuzz, so you won't be able to do much with a schematic. A friend of mine bought one mail order because he was so dissatisfied with the nasty digital fuzzes obtained from the Zoom 707 or Digitech RP100, and ended up with something just as bad - and, IMHO, not bad in a good way. I thought it sounded terrible - but I appreciate that opinions may differ. Certainly, you can't do a 'Dave Davies' or 'Link Wray' ripped-speaker sound with it, which is what he was after.

jmusser

Dragonfly's "Dirty Sanchez" sounds an awful lot like what you're looking for. Very harsh and static sounding. It also has very little sustain.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Freddy205

thanks alot, I'll check it out.

doug: How do you mean misbias? As in with collector resistor values?

doug deeper

as in everything they make is just experimenting on a bread board...with little to no theory involved...so it could be a number of things!
mostly collector values though (try 10M in most cases!!!)

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserDragonfly's "Dirty Sanchez" sounds an awful lot like what you're looking for. Very harsh and static sounding. It also has very little sustain.

yep....its a darn ugly sounding pedal ! :)

.....but cool.....

andy

jmusser

Hey Andy, It's the first time I've seen your name come up for awhile. I saw that you had a layout for the Univox Square Wave, so you must have built it. How did you like it?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Freddy205

It sounds cool. Real harsh, but still cool. I raised the value of the input output caps to give more bottom end and it now sounds positivly disgusting. Brilliant.

jmusser

I'm glad you liked it. You're the only other one I know who has built this one besides me. I haven't looked at this schematic for awhile, but I believe it's a Bazz Fuzz derivative, and I think it's also slightly misbiased to give it the tone it has. Yep, revolting and repulsive pretty much defines it. Isn't it great! :twisted:

Freddy205

I prefered the sound when you change r1 to 100k. It gave it a bit more drive while still haiving that horrible octave up. I'm just looking for a few mods here and there, I'm sure there are a few in this circuit.