Diode "Z6 A2"? Help identifying, please.

Started by bierdo70, August 09, 2005, 09:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bierdo70

Hi can anyone help me identify these?, have a few.
I've done all the google datasheet searches, searched here, but still cant find anything.

Glass capsule,  black line at one end, break in line where Z6 is printed, then A2 is printed behind the line on the other side.

What are they (Zener diode?)?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sean

toneman

U could characterize them with a curvetracer(?)
U could put a resistor in series & see if it's a zerer by measuring V-drop.
U could put a sine wave(thru a R) from a function gen thru it and watch
results on a scope...U'd see the rectifying action.
U could wait for more suggestions.
:)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

bierdo70

Thanks for the advice toneman, but I just want to know if it's Ge or Si, and whether it'll be suitable for effects pedal diode applications.

Cheers

Bierdo

bioroids

Do you have a DMM with diode checking option?
Eramos tan pobres!

bierdo70

I don't know if my DMM doies this, will look.  
Still doesn't tell me what they are though!

Anyone??

lightningfingers

if you DMM doesn't check diodes, just take a 9V battery and write down its voltage, then put the diode in series with the battery and measure again....work out the voltage drop, you should be able to deduce from that wether its Ge or Si.....
U N D E F I N E D

bioroids

Quote from: lightningfingersif you DMM doesn't check diodes, just take a 9V battery and write down its voltage, then put the diode in series with the battery and measure again....work out the voltage drop, you should be able to deduce from that wether its Ge or Si.....

But dont forget to put a resistor in series with the diode (towars the battery +) or else you can burn it!!
Eramos tan pobres!

bierdo70

"if you DMM doesn't check diodes, just take a 9V battery and write down its voltage, then put the diode in series with the battery and measure again....work out the voltage drop, you should be able to deduce from that wether its Ge or Si....."

I'll have a go but, how will I know if it's Si or Ge? :?:

Does anyone know if there are spec sheets somewhere for theis diode?

Cheers

B

bioroids

If the voltage across the diode is around 250-300mv is a germanium (or maybe a schottky but thats not very likely), if its around 600mv is silicon (or a zener backwards maybe).

Then you can put the diode backwards and the voltage across it should be equal to the battery voltage. If not, and when put right was 600mv, its probably a zener.

But if the diode it's a zener higher than 9v then you cant determine it without a bigger supply,  I think  :roll:

I hope this helps

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

bierdo70

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

bierdo70

Fret Wire

Thanks, but I just cross referenced it on NTE's site. :wink: Bookmark it for further reference. :)
http://www.nteinc.com/

Go down to the middle of the main page and download their QuickCross v12.0. It will even allow you to cross check components off line. You'll have to be on-line to view data sheets, however. Certain components, like transistors, are not always perfect cross matches, but you will still be able to identify your component's funtion, purpose, and main spec's.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)