This looks like a good deal-anyone have one

Started by jimbob, August 10, 2005, 05:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Stevo

Thats a good deal and free shipping I am thinking of getting one... could be worth more later :D
practice cause time does not stop...

Stevo

Doesnt say anything about true bypass....would be a plus ...It must be anybody know?

moosapotamus

You could probably DIY for a little less than $40. 8)

DOD YJM 308

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Stevo

The hammond box would be ten the switch ten the pots 2.50 ic .75 all the othet jacks and batt. and connector ten and 5.00 in componets... i guess it takes 40 bucks to build a simple dist. pedal....This to me would be a deal because the name is on it and they wont make this forever.....The EVH phase 90 is a limited edition will be worth something more maybe in 5-10 years when they dont make them.....I like to think if I am going to buy what would be the resale if I need the cash....Except in a few cases if you really want that pedal....The memoryman is limited in supply of the BBD chip so I hear others say they can buy their way into making more..I dont know I have heard people say grab one now you wont see them very much longer so I did and store it away......I got a few real nice pedals a brand new in box DM-3 holding on to it for a while :D.....any takes on if this is true bypass the YJM 308...

Connoisseur of Distortion

where do you get YOUR boxes and switches  8)

switches for $2.50

boxes for $5

//www.mcmelectronics.com
look for AR70736 for cheap and decent (so far as i know) switches.

//www.web-tronics.com
look at their 125-BR boxes. this is pretty much the awesomest site ever.

Bernardduur

Sometimes I wish I lived in the USA.......

People don't stare at you when you enter an electronic supply store asking for a 3PDT switch.........
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

Stevo

I use that stuff too!!! But the pedal in question does not I am sure....That was just quoting what the pedal had in it.. I bet it is a hammond style box now their price is cheaper I am sure...The switch is a carling maybe, they cost now!!!

Stevo

I use Mouser.com a bunch too always in perfect consitant service and no minimum and take your credit card and set up an acount for you.....Hey the mcm 3pdt switches are great the connections weird but maybe Bernardduur could catolog order from mcm....

Pedal love

Fret Wire

It's not true bypass, but the switch, and an led are an easy mod for one. The 308 is basically a 250 reissue with a smaller input cap. (.001 vs .01). Both the new models use a dual IC (4558) vs the original 250's 741, and the new ones also have a 25pf smoothing cap. The original does not have a smoothing cap.

So you can true bypass it, add an led, convert it to original grey 250 specs (.01 input cap & no pf cap), swap out the 4558 for a 1458 IC (dual 741) for that original sound, or add a toggle to switch between 250 and 308 input caps.

As far being worth it goes, a DIY 250 is easy to build and cheap, plus any  layout/pcb for the MXR Dist.+ can be used to build the DOD. On the other hand, You could get a YJM for $40, and mod it in less time than it took me to prep and prime the enclosure for my DIY 250.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Fret Wire

Analogman does a "grey 250" mod to the YJM also. Like I said above, the mod isn't hard. Two seconds with an original 250 schematic and you'll see what needs changing.
http://www.analogman.com/dodmod.htm
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Stevo

I guess analog man says that the bypass is not hardly bad.. No resistance and barely any capc to it.. These sound good stock so I guess why worry about true bypass....They are cheap.....and do have a nice gain to it..So why mod it?? They are a basic overdrive unit with no frills.....Good for tube amps to send over the top...Guess I will keep mine was thinking of modding but WHY :D

petemoore

Does true bypass really matter? either you already know, or you'll know when it does.
 Sometimes I say, 'Wait 'till you get to that bridge before jumping off or crossing it", it sounds as though a DOD allows that choice, warranty notwithstanding...a true DIYer will void a warranty at the drop of a cap.
 40 for a new working unit with box and directions...lol...it couldn't possibly be as easy to mod as my Cloned YJM, but my Clone doesn't have the Mojo Lookin' box either.
 AFAs future/vintage price hikes on modern pedals like this, there are probably better 'stock options'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stevo

I have built and sold more pedals than I can ever buy....I have a friend that has a music store and I built fuzzes and sold and traded them....The true bypass thing is a gotta be thing for the public you know 8) ...As far as for me its like you say if it fits wear it!!!   I did buy this box because I know the name will make it an item one day..Only time though will tell...I like DIY pedals better though!  I went to build a tube screamer and ended up with something closer to a Shaka and a DOD 250 though...cant stop playing it...A pedal you buy ahhhh....maybe you will like it for awhile but not like one you went throuhg the motions and built something..You need to buy a few pedals here and there :D ...Keep building :shock:

jimbob

I went ahead and bought it-It arrives tomorrow.. for 39.00$ no biggie. I was actually planning to but a dod 250 even though ive built 2 great ones already. But since they were the same price and have had great reviews- I thought why the hell not. No tax, no shipping...Nice!!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"