wats the best guitar noise gate out there?

Started by nero1985, August 10, 2005, 06:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nero1985

ok ive been doing research and it looks like the DECIMATOR from ISP is the best, they say it was designed by the creator of the HUSH (from Rocktron), when i recorded my band's demos i used a Modified Silver Jubilee that belonged to Scott Ian from ANTRAX, the producer had a Boss Noise Gate and it really didnt do much he had the threshold all the way up and there was still some noise, and the sound would just get really weird like WEAK so we had to record with some noise so that th guitar wouldnt lose its tone,, so now.... i dont think that BOSS noise gate works good and i need to buy one ASAP, from ur experience wats the best noise gate? MXR Smart Gate, Rocktron HUSH, Boss Noise Reducer, Carl Martin Noise Terminator or the ISP Decimator?

help me out with this one guys!

Processaurus

I've actually been super happy with the boss NS-2, (the one with the effects loop).  I'm not sure which model you used (there's a more basic model called the NS-1), or how you used yours in your session, but I've had good experiences with it when one puts anything that is a source of noise (high gain stuff , or noisy modulation fx) in the loop, and it cuts it totally, but if noisy stuff is before the loop, it has a tendency to show up.  You can even put another instrument into the input, and it will control the envelope of whats being returned through the loop.  Good luck with the noise floor.

KORGULL

I'm also happy with my Boss NS-2, been using it exclusively for about 19 years. I have used it in alot of high volume/high gain situations (metal bands) and could usually manage to keep my setup dead quiet when I stop playing. I just need to keep my compressor's sustain control at a reasonable level.
The NS-2 also has a 9VDC out jack that you can use to power other pedals.

nero1985

mmm i think it was the NS-2 cuz it had the LOOP but i was used on the input of the amp so i think thats y it didnt work as good, im trying to think of the noise gate im going to get, cuz the NS-2 does have a output to power up other pedals and i can buy that one with set of cables but at the same time im just thinking of how its going to work out, maybe i could bring the pedalboard to the store and try them out... thanks guys!

Mark Hammer

The NS pedals, and anything using HUSH technology are formally "noise filters" or "noise suppressors".  These are different than a simple noise gate.

A gate permits or impedes the *entire* signal from passing depending on its level.  If you set the "on" threshold high, you can keep out most of the objectionable noise, but you can also lose the initial transient and tail of a note.  A decay/release type control that dictates how fast the gate turns off can alleviate the latter problem a bit, but not perfectly.  If you set the threshold low enough to easily capture the initial transient and tail of a note, you can find yourself leting through more hum and noise than you really wanted to.

NS and HUSH type devices use a kind of downward expansion, that does not actually "gate" the whole signal, but rather exaggerates the differences between quiet and really quiet parts, often in tandem with a sort of lowpass filter that trims off more treble as the signal level declines.  The basic premise is to make the noise less evident during those portions where the background noise competes with low level signals for one's attention.

Ideally, to be able to tune a single-ended (i.e., no code and decode) noise reducing device to guitar, one wants at least a method of adjusting the threshold for the reduction to kick in (standard feature), a method of adjusting how much effect takes place (a common but not universal feature), and a method of adjusting how the effect disappears (again, a common, but not universal feature).  One CAN probably get away with less (e.g., threshold only), but that assumes a blissful marriage between the pedal, the instrument, and the playing style, so that little is needed to get over noise hurdles....something that doesn't always happen.

vanhansen

I've used both and I prefer the Rocktron HUSH technology over the NS-2.  Don't why but the NS-2 just never really suppressed the noise enough.  As of right now though I'm not using anything because it's pretty much guitar---> boost ---> amp and 3 pedals in the effects loop.
Erik

Mark Hammer

Has anyone out there ever:

a) used/built anything using the NatSem LM1894 chip?

b) used dual-gate systems (i.e., light gating right after the guitar, light gating further downstream)

aron

I hardly ever use a noise gate, but when I do, my old, old MXR noise gate worked ok for me.

If it's that noisy then I start trying to figure out why.

william

I've had lots of success with the NS-2 in the front of an amp.  One thing I did notice about it though is if the battery is low in juice it will sound weak and not really work that well.

The other thing I've noticed is when I ran the loop out into the input of my guitar amp, and the loop return from the effect out, then the output into the effect return it would reduce the treble of the amp.  I found this annoying because I have a 5150 that has lots of preamp noise, but the loss of the high end was more annoying.  Any ideas how to prevent the NS-2 from affecting the amp as much?

MetalGuy

As far as DIY noise gates are concerned Craig Anderton's Noise Gate from EPFM has worked always perfect for me. When properly set cuts like a knife. I have this NG installed in all of my guitar tube amps and in several of my friends' amps and guess what - they're all dead quiet. No more shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and stuff.
I've modified the circuit so that the signal passes only through a DIY LDR. The dark resistance is >300 Mega Ohms. I have the LDR right after the preamp section. If not satisfied you can always add another one in series or down the signal path.

Enjoy!