Woah check out these boxes

Started by ninoman123, August 10, 2005, 06:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninoman123

They are new from Hammond. Heavy duty conductive plastic. Says they shield from  EMI/RFI. They shield and are probably cheaper than aluminum boxes. Not bad...

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg3RFI.htm

link

nelson

which enclosures? link? is it invisible......................these damn invisible links             :wink:

o, there it is........(wasnt there before...too many solder fumes)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ninoman123

lol forgot to add it at first. had to edit the post

Hal

ninoman123

I think Hammond is catering to the needs of the DIY stompboxer and DIY amp builder.

wampcat1

I'm just wondering how tough it is...

petemoore

Thick plastic with SSteel in it...Hammond says "sturdy'...I tend to think theyr'e probably about bullet tuff.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Connoisseur of Distortion

ehhhhmmm... i'm not so sure they'll be very cheap... they probably cost more than a cast aluminum box of their size, as they are unlikely to be used by many people.

definately a cool box, though. conductive plastic? i though they only made pots with conductive plastic!  8)

zachary vex

they make conductive foam, conductive packing peanuts, conductive work surfaces, conductive paint...

oops, conductive foam... i lied  :shock:

do they seriously make conductive work surfaces? that seems a little bit dangerous... like something i would use to kill myself and every IC i had.

Peter Snowberg

The whole idea of a conductive work surface is to *protect* every IC on it. ;)

They're usually grounded through a 1 meg resistor.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

scratch

also known as ESD (Electro Static Discharge) protection ... you see the components bags for static sensitive devices like CMOS, or motherboards (and other cards) for PC's in either black(graphite impregnated) or metallic film.

The 1Meg resistor is required if you work around gear that has the potential to generate large currents (think AC) if you only work with batteries not an issue ... but best practise would be to use the 1M when in doubt ...
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

Paul Marossy

The only thing I don't like about those boxes is that they are kind of odd sizes. If they had the same offerings as the 1590 series, I might be more inclined to use one of these for a test bed.

sir_modulus

Conductive work surfaces are rare? I have an entire metal table to work on...  :lol:

Cheers,

Nish

i see... i wasn't thinking CMOS. i was picturing a forumite wiring up their P1 only to find that something was amiss...  :?

scratch

speaking of metal tables ... in my younger years (high school) ... I was attemping to repair blown dimmers by replacing the triacs in them. I was working in the garage on a welding table ... nice solid all STEEL contruction on a concrete floor ... I failed to notice that the triac I was using was carrying one of the pins to the tab of the TO-220 case which was bolted to a heat sink ... so when I plugged it in to test it ... pfftzzzt, big blue spark !!!

That's when I learned that concrete floors ARE ground ... ;-)
Denis,
Nothing witty yet ...

Paul Marossy

QuoteThat's when I learned that concrete floors ARE ground ...

You bet it is! Readers beware!!

RedHouse

They've been making pots out of conductive plastic for years now

alteredsounds

Awaken an old thread time.........

I just bought 3 x Hammond ABS 102x40x65 boxes and 3 x Hammond ABS 190x60x65 boxes and these are really good.  VERY sturdy,  Hammond build quality and riduculously cheap! I would have no hesitation at all about having these boxes on stage.

Not sure how you paint them, not investigated that yet.

Anyone else use them?

Cheers,
Nick,

Joecool85

Where did you buy them from, and how expensive were they?
Life is what you make it.
https://www.ssguitar.com