Hello, I have a problem with my pedal

Started by 9V, August 12, 2005, 07:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9V

hi guys.

I have an Overdrive pedal here that i really love, but everytime i install a fresh new battery, it's just drained after 3-4hrs. Today, (6.4 on 9v check and after 10-15 min it is at 3.1!). For alkaline batteries (like Duracell/Engergizer), it's supposed to be 28hrs.

This isn't normal! I also unplug both out/input jacks whenever it's not being used.

Would getting an adapter solve this problem?

center negative/minus DC 9V 300Ma is the required adapter type for the Overdrive

my boss adapter is DC 9.6V 200Ma, now would this damage the Overdrive if i were to use it? cos it fits but..

if adapter is the final and safest solution, i'd go for it, but i dislike adapters and also i think this is connection problem involving ground to input(?) to 9V wires, is it? or ...
what's the problem here?

please help, thanks.
i haven't given up just yet!

Stevo

You have a typical short somewhere!!! Do not attempt to use the adapter you will probably damage both....Lets us know what pedal it is DIY or otherwise and maybe someone will give a good tip...you probably need a DVOM and check some things for to ground....
practice cause time does not stop...

petemoore

First, DMM Beep mode across V+ and V-
 Actually>tell what it is... :wink:
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

9V

Thanks!

It's a Zoom Power Drive, and DVOM? what's that?

and petemoore, i do have a DMM, but i don't know how to work the thing...

best if i can just take it to a store and try to fix it?

i just can't believe this, it's a factory sealed brand new unit!....:(

9V

sorry guys, but i'm really desperate..please help.

9V

I just remembered that my Flanger has the same problem. But i fixed that problem with an Adapter, but i'm not willing to take any chance for the Overdrive.

Please help me out guys, thanks.

Joe Hart

If it's a brand new unit, just return it and get another! Anything you do to it will void any waranty.
-Joe Hart

9V

No, an eBay item + it's discontinued..

i'll just play clean for awhile, unless y'all be cool enough to list some solutions and explain them (i'm not the brightest or even experienced).

thx all for suggestions!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I just looked at the manual, it says 15 hours alkaline, 5 hours manganese.
So I think it is just a very thirsty pedal. If it is DSP based (which I *think* all the zoom are? anyone?) then, it will suck power like Monica.
Get a wart.
Jameco www.jameco.com is good for warts.
BTW I saw a battery comparison in a USA electronics mag, they were pretty much the same but energiser was WORSE!!! guess tehy spent the money on advertising rather than manganese dioxide.

9V

I have another Zoom Pedal (this one isn't too good) the fuzz one, that thing is lasting very long with no problems (it has i think same properties as the power drive), this has to be some sort of failure within the circuit..

I'm looking into the adapters, i'm just gonna give up and quit.

Why must i always loose..

anyways, thanks y'all.

aron

Some digital pedals really suck the life out of batteries. Sometimes barely over 5 hours.

vanhansen

My DD-2 will take a battery down in 2-3 hours with constant use.  Hence the reason I removed the battery clip and use only an adapter with it.  I removed the clip so I don't accidentally put a good battery to an early death that can otherwise be put to good use in one of my other pedals.  :D
Erik

Mark Hammer

My sense is that manufacturers attempt to accommodate SOME battery life in their digital products, but assume the user will eventually go wallwart.  I gather the logic is that the typical buyer will encounter the pedal in a music store where the often lackadaisical staff may be able to supply a battery but no more.  Even if the staff care, it is just so much easier to hand the potential customer a pedal and patch cord and say "You can try it out on that amp", than to hunt around for the appropriate adaptor and start poking around the back of the amps for an available power socket for the wallwart.  After all, those sales staff have to be able to leave you to noodle around in the corner so they can keep an eye on people zipping in and out of the store...occasionally with stuff they may not have paid for...and also attend to the needs of other customers.  Battery power, even if it only lasts for 4-6 hours, buys the retailer some convenience.

Peter Snow

Over the years I have owned a shitload of Zoom pedals, rack FX units, recorders and drum boxes, etc, etc. Of those that can be powered by batteries, most of them all suck juice like Manitoba mosquitoes going for the jugular!

I'm not saying that there is nothing wrong with yours - there may be, but it would not surprise me to find that it runs the battery down very quickly even with no problem.

BTW, the manual quotes approx 15 hours with an alkaline battery.  And I believe all four(?) pedals in that series were analog, not digital.

Do yourself a favour and power your pedal from a wall wart...  unless you have shares in EverReady :D

Cheers,

Peter
Remember - A closed mouth gathers no foot.