Vintage Potentiometer repair DIY article

Started by analogmike, August 13, 2005, 03:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I only *wish* I had a nickel kickback for every time I mentioned this but old pots with worn carbon CAN be rejuvenated with this Stabilant contact enhancer I keep going on about.  It forms a conductive layer on the resistive strip and wiper, and bridges that little 2-micron gap between wiper and strip that makes for the scratchiness that plagues us all.  It is chemically stable so it won't break down over time.  I have successfully used it to rejuvenate lots of pots, and I keep harping to folks that I don't know why boutique outlets don't tout it as a quality performance feature the way they make a big deal out of switchcraft jacks and true bypass switches.

Harry

Quote from: Mark Hammer on October 01, 2006, 01:56:42 PM
I only *wish* I had a nickel kickback for every time I mentioned this but old pots with worn carbon CAN be rejuvenated with this Stabilant contact enhancer I keep going on about.  It forms a conductive layer on the resistive strip and wiper, and bridges that little 2-micron gap between wiper and strip that makes for the scratchiness that plagues us all.  It is chemically stable so it won't break down over time.  I have successfully used it to rejuvenate lots of pots, and I keep harping to folks that I don't know why boutique outlets don't tout it as a quality performance feature the way they make a big deal out of switchcraft jacks and true bypass switches.
A quick search; you've suggested this at least 18 times!  :o

yeeshkul

Thanks for the hint.  :) Is there any difference between Astrotone and Sam Ash fuzzz boxx?

analogmike

Quote from: yeeshkul on October 01, 2006, 06:20:54 PM
Thanks for the hint.  :) Is there any difference between Astrotone and Sam Ash fuzzz boxx?

No, but some will sound great and others poor.

I remember hearing about Stabilant years ago, have not heard of it in a long time. Are there any distributors in the usa? I think it would be great to use it on some things, and to restore some old gear.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

Noplasticrobots

Love the enclosures on those old Sam Ash pedals.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.