capacitor question...

Started by syntax0, August 15, 2005, 04:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syntax0

im building a fuzz face and it calls for a 2.2uF capacitor after the input of the circuit.  it has the symbol for an electrolytic capacitor with the "+" part facing the input.  i go to my local radioshack and they have a 2.2uF electrolytic capacitor only problem is, its not polarized.  so my question is this: will it work?  because it'd be awesome if it did and i didn't have to order it online.

oh, and on a side note, on small bear with their electrolytic capacitors they list the values in mF it seems.  whats the difference between this and uF?

thanks alot guys, sometime i hope ill be able to contribute something useful to this forum.

formerMember1

try searching the forum, i think i read something like that on here,

When i modified my dunlop fuzzface, i got it pretty good sounding, but in the end i trashed it and  kept the enclosure for the axis face i am building,
(when i get a chance, since i been saying i am building it for months now!)

anyways, i took the 2.2uf cap out just for experimentation, i put a non polarized cap in there and the circuit stopped working, but others say you can do this and it works, i never got it working with a 2.2uf NP cap.(wait a moment though, i replaced it with a 1.0uf NP cap)

instead of radio shack look in your local phone book, under "electronic suppliers" or "electronic surplus store"

I usually go to those places instead of radio shack, cuz they are more knowledgable and also have more parts. ( i always order my parts online though because it is way cheaper, even with additional shipping costs, unless you are buying only a few parts :wink: )

i gotta go post a thread, you just reminded me of something, good luck
:D

syntax0

ok, well i figured out i can just get it from small bear after figuring out the ever eluding mf and uf question, i need to get some resistors there anyway.  thanks though sir.

formerMember1

yeah smallbear is GREAT, i wish he had room to carry more parts, since i would just order everything i need off him instead of ordering off mouser for some parts.

Check out his transistors they are good for fuzzfaces

he got fast shipping too, and is really helpful and down to earth.

Mark F

Quote from: syntax0im building a fuzz face and it calls for a 2.2uF capacitor after the input of the circuit.  it has the symbol for an electrolytic capacitor with the "+" part facing the input.  i go to my local radioshack and they have a 2.2uF electrolytic capacitor only problem is, its not polarized.  so my question is this: will it work?  because it'd be awesome if it did and i didn't have to order it online.

oh, and on a side note, on small bear with their electrolytic capacitors they list the values in mF it seems.  whats the difference between this and uF?

thanks alot guys, sometime i hope ill be able to contribute something useful to this forum.
Steve uses the mf abreviation for micro farads. So just order as you would if he used  uF. instead of mf. :)

aron

The non polarized input cap should work.

formerMember1

yeah after i thought about it, i think the pedal still worked but i installed too small of an input cap or something, i think i remember the pedal worked but had barely any volume over a whisper, and had that unbiased transistors gated sound or something, come to think of it , I might even have tried a .01uF cap and not a 1.0uF.  Oh well...  :roll:

I'll have to try that in my new fuzzface,

syntax0

in the circuit im using it calls for a .01uf input cap, would it be better to use a higher value or should i stick to the plan?

formerMember1

what fuzzface is it?  Definitely put a socket in there. :wink:

Well, the reason i tried to change the pedal from a 2.2uF , was becuase it was too bassy for me, that is why i tried the other values, but i don't know what happened to the pedal,

Get some different values and swap them till you like it.

syntax0

actually i was mistaken, the input cap is a 2.2uF, its the output cap thats .01uF.

formerMember1

yeah that is what i thought, :wink:

what pedal is it by the way?

syntax0

formerMember1

yeah that will do the trick :wink:

Pedal love

The non-polcap will work, but I have always used polarized electrolytics.
Let us know how it sounds.pl

syntax0

i shall. thanks for all the help guys.