Wah 4.7uF NP cap swap

Started by formerMember1, August 15, 2005, 05:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsat

No.... they don't make "tropical fish" caps anymore AFAIK... but the innards of some recent caps are probably quite similar.  Philips MKT are glossy bright orange dipped with same general shape.
Mike

Mark F

I believe the general consensus on "tropical fish" caps is that they are metalized poly film.

formerMember1

ok, so we are saying that Teese uses a 10uf cap, becuase he mentioned this on the forum, and most wahs use 4.7uf, or vintage ones use 4.0uf,...So am i right in thinking that a 10uf cap, will last longer in the wah, without being replaced, since it doesn't affect tone, and it will decrease with age, but still be above 4.0uf longer than a 4.7uf or 4.0uf cap will, since someone said lower than 4.0uf will have less wah,...

Also, i take it now that polarized and nonpolarized don't affect a pedal,..then why do somepedals use non polarized and some use polarized, non polarized would be simpler to assemble, but i guess it is a cost issue,..but this still doesn't make sense,..

I thought i read somewhere, where someone said to test a non polarized cap for something, and test the circuit for higher voltage pad, to orient it the right way in circuit for improved performance,...or maybe it was a dream,... ???

So did anyone ever try a 4.0uf cap, against a 4.7uf cap and see if there was a difference in tone?  I read somewhere where someone swapped a 4.7uf with (4) 1uf caps, and said the sound was thicker sounding,...or did i dream this too?  ???

this stuff has been bugging me for a while,...