Bass Brassmaster clone pics

Started by SonicVI, August 16, 2005, 12:55:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

Here are some pics of my Brassmaster clone. It's not painted or labeled yet though.  I'll put some mp3's up sometime soon as well.

http://homepage.mac.com/sonicvi/fxprojects/bb.html

Daniel

Bill Bergman

Looking forward to the samples. It will be interesting to hear if it sounds similar to mine. I really like the octave effect on this pedal.

Bill Bergman

Wow, just notice your from Houston also!

SonicVI

Not from Houston, but I live here :)  I'll try to get some clips up tonight or tomorrow.

Daniel

Bill Bergman

I'm not from Houston either and actually I live in Sugar Land. :wink:

Connoisseur of Distortion

it had better sound ****ing amazing, with circuitboard like that  :shock:

i was under the impression that it's a distortion pedal... why so complex?

Bill Bergman

SonicVI

Ok here are some quickly made mp3's. I just played while I messed around with the knob and switch settings on the pedal and the volume knob on my guitar (which the sensitivity knob kinda does the same thing as) and the pickup selector. I used my Ampeg SVT3Pro as a preamp into my computer. My interface is messed up causing all that background noise.  

http://homepage.mac.com/sonicvi/fxprojects/bbbass.mp3

http://homepage.mac.com/sonicvi/fxprojects/bbguitar.mp3

Daniel

Bill Bergman

Daniel,
It does sound very much like mine. The only thing I didn't hear you do  was a clean boost. I think mine does also.

SonicVI

No, it doesn't really do a clean boost. In fact if I turn the bass volume all the way up and the brass volume down there's still a little tiny bit of the fuzz still audible so it's never completely clean. Maybe it's a wiring thing, dunno.

Bill Bergman

I can't remember but I think I did a few mods to the wiring or traces.

Doug_H

Sounds cool! Esp. on the bass. :D

I wonder if that was the sound used on that old song "the rapper". (God, I can't believe I even remember that...) :oops:

Nice workmanship.

Doug

Bill Bergman

What was that song about....?

SonicVI

Bill Bergman

moosapotamus

Sonic - That looks awesome! Nice build!

Bill - I think I recall that the filter switch didn't do anything for both you and I, and maybe even a few others (although, Sonic apparently didn't have that problem)? Was it you that came up with a mod to get it to work?

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Bill Bergman

Yeah, I got it to work but I don't remember what I did.  :oops:
Wonder if it's in an old post. I could open it up and see what I did.

SonicVI

Yeah, the Brass 1/2 switch definitely makes a noticeable change, kinda like a midrange boost/cut. I didn't make any changes from the schematic so maybe RG changed something on the schematic or I made a mistake that happened to be a good one.   What I don't get though is the original schematic calls for two DPDT switches (which are slide switches on the original)  for the Brass and Harmonic switches, but the updated one has a 3P and SP switches.  How is it working the same way as the original, if it actually is?

Joe Viau

SonicVI

Well after reading through that again it looks like I have one of the 6.8K and the 22K resistors in the filter section backwards since they were not labeled correctly on the schematic and layout. But it seems like I'm not the only one who did that. I'm thinking I'm just going to leave well enough alone rather than switching R22 and R27 or R24 whichever it is to see what effect it has. I've never played an orignal anyway so I don't have any idea how it's supposed to sound exactly.    That still doesn't answer why the original schematic lists 2 DPDTs for rather than a 3PDT and SPDT.  Did the original pedal have a 3PDT slide switch? Do they even make those? I can't remember ever having seen one.