the Clone Theory Build Thread.

Started by nelson, August 18, 2005, 12:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

I mentioned in the "Holy_______" thread I was going to make a photo diary of building the Clone Theory.

My project file can be found here,  see thread below.

It is, as of now, unverified.

So, here it is.

Printed Press n Peel blue and copper Blank

Then I drew around the already cut out PnP blue to get an outline to cut around.

I cut the copper blank with standard household scissors to cut down on dust...works well with the FR-4 epoxy glass board smallbear sells, and requires minimal sanding afterwards to get it smooth.

Then I used a kitchen Brillo (scouring) pad  to get it nice and shiny, also to get rid of the permanent marker and any other residue.

Here is the Board ready to apply the PnP blue too

Next I set the Iron to 2 an a 1/2 (no idea of the temp) warm the board and  carefully place the PnP blue to the board and iron for a good 5 mins being careful to get the edges.

Here is the Board with PnP blue applied, there were a few areas where it didnt adhere too well so I went over them with my black permanent marker.

Now here we have what looks like breakfast cereal, but unless you have swallowed alot of copper and have an iron deficiency I wouldnt eat it.

Here is the mixed solution, I used just under boiling water as I was making a fresh batch, normally I would have the container in a bath of just boiled water to speed up the reaction.

Here I am agitating the etchant to speed up the process and move the copper chloride from the surface of the board to allow fresh ferric chloride to bombard the unreacted copper.

This is the board almost done.

And this is the etched Board.

Now onto the drilling my least favourite part of all this.......I really should buy a drill press.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Jim Jones

Wow, I haven't been around here in ages!

Hi Nelson - Just wondering if you've built the Clone Theory yet?

Jim

Dirk_Hendrik

Have been around recently but.

The above question remains
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

nelson

Yep, built with a new smaller layout than the one photographed above.

I gave up on this thread as there didnt appear to be any interest.

The Clone theory project is

http://topopiccione.atspace.com/

There.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

audioguy

Can you explain how to wire the powering for 2 batteries?

Thanks!

nelson

Quote from: audioguy on January 12, 2006, 04:07:03 PM
Can you explain how to wire the powering for 2 batteries?

Thanks!

Connect one batteries positive to the other batteries negative. Use the remaining battery connections as your ground and +18V

I recommend an 18v PSU too.

If using two 9v batts in series and an 18v wall wart, make sure you wire the board to use the regulator. As detailed in the project file.

You cant use both +15v PSU and 2 Xbatts unless you switch the regulator in and out of the circuit.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RickL

You're kidding, no one else has built this but me? I built two of them, one from each layout. It's a little more work than a Small Clone but it's way more versatile, if not actually better sounding. I would have thought everyone would have built one once the layout was confirmed.

Rick

Ry

I thought this one took 2 SAD1024's?  Is that right?  This is why I haven't built it :icon_frown:.  I only have one and Smallbear ran out before I put an order in for the other.  sigh.  I really, really want to build this project.

Ry

nelson

Quote from: Ry on January 12, 2006, 10:45:48 PM
I thought this one took 2 SAD1024's?  Is that right?  This is why I haven't built it :icon_frown:.  I only have one and Smallbear ran out before I put an order in for the other.  sigh.  I really, really want to build this project.

Ry

your thinking of the echoflanger.

There was a version of the Clone theory that used an SAD1024 but the one I cloned is the one that uses the MN3007 with the vibraflange switch.

Why dont you look at the project file.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Dirk_Hendrik

Thanks for all documentation Nelson! As I don't have too much planned for the weekend the board is currently etching.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

Dirk_Hendrik

Dirk_Hendrik

And drilled

(yes Nelson, get that Drill press and thank yourself every time again.)

nelson

I have recently got my g/f to drill my boards. She volunteered.

I have been looking at a little dremel drill press.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Dirk_Hendrik

When you get that dremel the german ebay seller Lerrox is quite attractive for getting PCB drills. Having said that he/they got so pro that the'll file a non paying bidder form if payment wasn't recieved after 7 days. Without the Paypal option this can be a pain. PM me if you're interested but reluctant for the payment hassle.

Zero the hero

Very nice photo essay!
I'll etch a couple of boards tonight, waiting for the MN3007.
I'm going to do a page for this photo essay, and post it in my site, OK?

puretube

Jim Jones

Thanks for this, Paul!  I'll have to give this project a go.

Jim

nelson

Quote from: Jim Jones on January 13, 2006, 11:48:42 PM
Thanks for this, Paul!  I'll have to give this project a go.

Jim

Glad people are finally building it.  ;D
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Quote from: Zero the hero on January 13, 2006, 03:07:51 PM
Very nice photo essay!
I'll etch a couple of boards tonight, waiting for the MN3007.
I'm going to do a page for this photo essay, and post it in my site, OK?

Go for it Alessandro.

:)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Plexi

Old, but gold...
Would be great get the pics again  :-[
To you, buffered bypass sucks tone.
To me, it sucks my balls.