help with wylde overdrive clone

Started by Marcos - Munky, August 19, 2005, 01:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

I finished my build, but didn't got the overdrive as the output. I just got the clean signal. The only pot that works is the volume pot, and it needs the battery to give the output sound, this mean that the sound is getting into the circuit, but don't be distorted. I checked the values and traces and everything seems to be allright. I'm using a TL072, but tried another ICs with the same results. Here are the voltages:

Battery: 9.46V
1: 4.70V
2: 4.71V
3: 4.23V
4: 0V
5: 4.66V
6: 4.71V
7: 4.71V
8: 9.46V

Anybody have any suggestion?

Marcos - Munky

petemoore

Probing tell anything? open ground somewhere between the sleeves?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Stevo

:shock: Could you post scheme please I would like to see it....Looks like you have a pos. connection problem something touching in the power supply that is not suppose too :shock:
practice cause time does not stop...

petemoore

Battery: 9.46V
1: 4.70V
2: 4.71V
3: 4.23V
4: 0V
5: 4.66V
6: 4.71V
7: 4.71V
8: 9.46V
 These voltages certainly look operational...
 Ground lost, ground found where it shouldn't, something wierd with the gain pot, I'd hook one DMM lead to ground and measure ALL grounds, also look for ground in other places while I'm at it, look for stuff like inverted ground/hot at jacks...

Marcos - Munky

Marcos - Munky

Found the problem. It was a bad jack!!! I tried almost everything and nothing, then I tried to change the output jack and it worked!!! Just another question, mine have low output volume, just a little above clean guitar volume. Is this normal?

Hey Stevo, e-mail for the schematic. It's a modded Boss SD-1.

Stevo

I heard he used the SD-1 before and thought that was it.. :D  Thanks just interested because of all the hype :?
practice cause time does not stop...

petemoore

I don't know, but I was askin' the same thing:
  Just another question, mine have low output volume, just a little above clean guitar volume. Is this normal?
 Must be normal...
 I find it's a real nice rythm 'n soft lead sound, doesn't go into a Fuzz, and it takes me some switching to go from the ZW to Fuzz.
 Great sound though.

Marcos - Munky

Yeah, it souds great. The first thing I played with it (forgetting the open strings that I hit to check if the effect is working) was Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gimme Three Steps intro, and got a very similar sound. I didn't tested it with other effects, I will do it after I box it. And I need to play a little more with the tone caps values, cause I think it could sound better. I hoped it had more gain, but a booster can give me the additional gain that I want.

vanhansen

Hey Marcos, put it in front of an already overdriven tube amp and switch it on.   :D  Insanely sweet.
Erik

petemoore

Nice sweet internal distortion on that one, OD as they call it.
 Could be that's part of what makes Wylde...mild....it's not a preamp hammerer.
 I was hearing OZZY and BLSociety, trying to pick out some 44 sounds...there's something 'else' going on there...maybe an EQ or something else like...crunchy stacks or some other type distorter...sounds more like a diode to ground clipper type would get closer to that 'internally' to my ears.
 Don't expect 'No More Tears' sound without more tears...lol.

vanhansen

Quote from: petemooreNice sweet internal distortion on that one, OD as they call it.
 Could be that's part of what makes Wylde...mild....it's not a preamp hammerer.
 I was hearing OZZY and BLSociety, trying to pick out some 44 sounds...there's something 'else' going on there...maybe an EQ or something else like...crunchy stacks or some other type distorter...sounds more like a diode to ground clipper type would get closer to that 'internally' to my ears.
 Don't expect 'No More Tears' sound without more tears...lol.

You will not get any tones he had with Ozzy with this pedal, so yeah, there will be tears trying to get 'No More Tears' LOL.  He just started using it during Ozzfest 2004.  The most recent recordings with it are from the BLS Mafia album.  Everything else is with the SD-1.  

Here's a link telling everything he used up through last year:
http://www.blacklabelsociety.net/modules.php?name=Gear&page=nuke_gearzakk1.html
Erik

Marcos - Munky

Unfortunally, I don't have a tube amp to try the ZW overdrive with it. Zakk use active EMGs and his custom amp. Maybe there's something in the amp that give the No More Tears sound.

vanhansen

His amp has nothing custom about it other than the face and the grill cloth.  Other than that, it's just a JCM800 2203 with 6550 power tubes.  Granted, using the EMG's does give a high z output which helps with a hotter signal but you can still use the ZW-44 to add some nice on or over the edge grit to your amp.  Turn down the built in overdrive to a comfortable easy smooth driven, then turn on the Wylde OD.  I use mine in front of my little Crate all the time.  It makes it sound a lot bigger than it is.
Erik