resistor percentages

Started by tomlau, August 19, 2005, 11:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomlau

I got 16mm split shaft pots from banzai and got a knobs at maplins but they dont seem to fit. there seems to be a little metal tab in the knob, is this supposed to fit inside the split? Do I just need to get a hammer and force it or can remove the tab and glue the knob?
Suggestions please....
Heres a pic

nelson

its a screw, get a small screwdriver and loosen it so the knob can go on, then tighten the screw. NEVER GLUE KNOBS TO POTS! You never know when you are going to have to remove the pots for maintenance/modding.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Dave G

It's a set screw. Look on the side of the knob and there should be a hole where you can reach the end of the screw. You unscrew it far enough not to be in the way and then tighten it once it's on the pot to hold it in place, but you may not need it with the type of pot you have.

Dave G

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

MartyMart

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mark Hammer

I don't mean to poke fun, because I've been there myself, and know plenty of others I respect immensely who've been there also.  But boy, oh, boy, if there was ever anything that screamed "I'm brand new at this!![/b]", this would be it. :lol:

Welcome to the voyage through hell that will take you to such lovely travel locations as:

1) Cape IC-pin-bent-under-the-chip-where-you-can't-see-it

2) The Isle of Stereo Phone Jacks That Look the Same but Have Their Lugs Connected Differently and Drain Your Batteries Because of That.

3) The mischievous supplier that has no idea what you are using the parts for and recommends something that has the same 4 digits but little else in common.

4) The charming and beguiling village of FET-on-Pinout where no one really seems to know what pin goes where, or as I like to say "Source today, gate tomorrow".

5) The romantic and mysterious Bay of Value Codes, where tiny capacitors trade their identities for larger ones ("Funny, you don't LOOK like a Nano")

Yes, there are many delightful places for you to visit yet.  The trip has just begun.  Buy your Maalox now. :lol:

bass_econo

Hey the only reason I knew was from hanging those %&%*$^ towel hangers in the bathroom!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

stankyfish

Quote from: Mark Hammer
2) The Isle of Stereo Phone Jacks That Look the Same but Have Their Lugs Connected Differently and Drain Your Batteries Because of That.

I just left there!  I thought I'd only be there for a short visit, but ended up staying much longer than I had expected (or cared) to.

If anyone else visits, tell the bartender I said, "Hi".  He'll remember me.  I was the one screaming profanities.

nosamiam

Quote from: bass_econoHey the only reason I knew was from hanging those %&%*$^ towel hangers in the bathroom!!! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Ha!! I knew there was a reason I wasn't the one asking this question!

tomlau

guess we all start somewhere...
I'm building a TS808, my first project as u guessed  :D
Thanks for not making too much fun of me.

nelson

we all start somewhere, we are a great forum, a great mix of the masters such as Mark here, the novicesm and those that plod along with minimal theory knowledge like me.

Its a great feelign firing up your first pedal and I hope there are many more to come, welcome to the forum!
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

tomlau

sorry, i tried using the search but couldn't find out...
Does it matter if I mix up 5% resistors and 1% resistors (they are all metal film)? Will this affect my sound?
thanks for the warm welcome

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum. 8)

There is a really wonderful mix here of people just starting out all the way up to highly established and successful effects designers. Very few places offer such a mix. 8)

Don't worry about mixing 1% and 5% resistors. The percentage just tells you how close to the stated vales the actual values should be. In some circuits it pays to use only 1% resistors because of noise, but most electronics are built with 5% resistors and adding the 1% units only "upgrades" things a little.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation