Thrift Store Score! (My First)

Started by Michael Allen, August 19, 2005, 09:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Allen

I read all the stories about people hitting jackpots and I hit one yesterday.

Pair of JBL L100 Century Box speakers in perfect working condition for $9.

I thought "hey i can hack a guitar cab out of um"....then picked them up and thought "why the heck are these so heavy??"  Took um home and took off the grill! Oh man! Looked on Ebay and found some like mine for $400, Nice...

Jason Stout

Looks like a great find!! Have you tried them yet?
Jason Stout

Yun

the best thing i've found at a thrift store is a groovy cashmere cardigan  :lol: .
"It's Better to live a lie, and forget the past, then to Forget a lie, and live the past"

Michael Allen

yeah they sound great with my old stereo. I'm going to throw together a Gainclone amp pretty soon. It's essentially the same as the LM3886 amp from GGG.com.

Acoustics of the room, and positioning are a pain though..

Bluesgeetar

Speaking of finds.  I found an old Kustom Challenger amp at a local pawnshop.  It has one of those old JBL D123 speakers in it.  It sits there with a $79.00 price tag.  That is without haggling.  I still can't figure out where I would put it if I bought it.  If I bring home another amp my wife will kill me.  She is already giving strange looks on the JTM 45/100 clone I'm making.

petemoore

About 12 years ago I scored an "RCA", phonograph player/Radio.
 also had Aux in.
 I used the tube amp today like I have for 'ever', I did replace output tubes after I got it.
 Speakers sounded great for a whuile...8$ + 40 for tubes.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.