News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

RIP Bob Moog

Started by Tim Escobedo, August 22, 2005, 12:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Escobedo

nosamiam

Wow, I hadn't heard.  We've lost a true luminary and adventurer.  Happy journey, Bob!

zachary vex

oh, man.  i knew he had gone downhill during the last week, but i didn't know he died.

very sad.  i hope the best for his family and friends.  i'm glad i got to spend some time with him last January.

Pedal love

A true pioneer and genius. He will be sorely missed, by the mm community.pl

MartyMart

Genius .... its a sad loss   :cry:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

zachary vex

via Bieke, the greatest forumite at HC effects forum:

Mark Hammer

For those who know/knew him, I imagine he will be missed as a person.  For the rest of us, his presence is so...omnipresent, that it will be hard to know he's gone for decades to come.  His name is interchangeable with the very act of electronic musical synthesis, the way that Fender and Gibson and Martin are with guitars.  His instruments, much like those in the guitar realm, set a standard for what electronic sound should sound like.  And so many ideas, so much creativity, so much contribution to the craft.

Vsat

A truly brilliant and dedicated man,  his work has been and will remain a huge source of inspiration and delight to many!
Regards (and Thanks), Mike

gez

And for those of you who are thinking 'big deal!' read Analogue Days (excellent book), then you'll understand...

http://www.synthtopia.com/Articles/AnalogDays.html
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

nelson

:(

The world is minus one more genius, however his musical and technological legacy will last forever.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

SonicVI

Quote from: gezAnd for those of you who are thinking 'big deal!' read Analogue Days (excellent book), then you'll understand...

http://www.synthtopia.com/Articles/AnalogDays.html

A great book indeed.  My favorite story about Bob was the one when he was on his way to defend his dissertation and broke the elevator by jumping up and down in it trying to find its resonant frequency.   There aren't many people who can be considered true pioneers in a field, but he was and our lives are better,  at least indirectly, because of his.

DiyFreaque

Sure, there was the staid, precise 'Switched on Bach'.  Pretty interesting.  It was an amazing electronic treatment of old JSB, but it just didn't sink in for many of us (it made professional musicians pretty damn nervous, though).

However, for many of us old timers, the first time one heard that ELP 'Lucky Man' solo was a life changing event.  What the hell was that??!!  It crept up at the end of that song and just grabbed you by the balls.....I distinctly remember goosebumps on the final filter sweep as the drums crashed to an end.  My cat went nuts.  Keith Emerson hated it, thought it was cheesy, but that first baptism of Moog synth set so many worlds on fire...

When I think of Moog, immediate obvious things come to mind:  ELP's 'Brain Salad Sandwich'.  The awesome bass lines in Gary Wright's 'Dream Weaver' and 'Love is Alive'.  The Vox Humana in Gary Newman's 'Cars.'  Tomita's 'Snowflakes Are Dancing' and 'Planets'.  These things pale in comparison to all that would never have been had Dr. Moog not graced this earth.

He stood of the shoulders of giants and became a giant himself.  He opened doors that will never be closed again; I don't think the magnitude of his influence on music can either be grasped or overestimated.  He was a pioneer in the truest sense of the word.  

We'll miss you, Dr. Bob.

Wild Zebra

QuoteHe stood of the shoulders of giants and became a giant himself. He opened doors that will never be closed again; I don't think the magnitude of his influence on music can either be grasped or overestimated. He was a pioneer in the truest sense of the word.

We'll miss you, Dr. Bob.
Amen
"your stripes are killer bro"

The Tone God

Does anyone think he is going to just settle for play that harp up there ?

Oscillate wildly, Robert Moog.

Andrew

Paul Marossy

It even made the national news.  :(

12afael

God need some synths for the angels.

RIP Bob

squidsquad

He's not gone...just on another frequency.  We'll all find it one day.
It's good that so many people got to show their love.

Vsat

TheBigMan

Quote from: The Tone GodDoes anyone think he is going to just settle for play that harp up there ?

Oscillate wildly, Robert Moog.

Andrew

That's put a smile back on my face.

RIP Bob.  :cry: