News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

ue-400

Started by michael_krell, August 22, 2005, 07:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael_krell

I just bought an ibanez ue-400 without the footswitch for 90 bucks. i figured i could just figure out the switching circuit and put on manual switches on the back or something, but, i need a schematic. If anyone can tell me where i can find a foot switch or a schematic or something i would appreciate it.

Mark Hammer

I just posted the scans I have of 6 modules attributed to the UE-400 in my photobucket album at: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/

These include the analog delay, stereo chorus, overdrive, parametric EQ, phaser, and compressor.  A tip of the hat to Mike/Vsat for supplying the originals in paper form.

Unfortunately, I have no scans of the switching circuitry.  A few of the scans may show up sort of weird if you simply click to view them.  You may need to save them to hard disk and open them up ion a graphics utility of some type to view them as the b/w images they are.

michael_krell

thanks alot, but I cant view the schematics. It puts your username in the box and asks for password.

Mark Hammer

Well, obviously I gave you the wrong URL.

If you start with http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-EQ.gif  and then just keep clicking "next" you should get them all.  If the image looks blanks, just save the image to hard disk and work with that.  There appear to be some glitches in the photobucket display process that make some valid images look wonky.

michael_krell

still does not work. i just get a blank page.

can you just send the photos to michael.krell@comcast.net ?

Mark Hammer

I had to pick the most problematic one! :roll:

If you follow this link - http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-SC.gif - you'll get a visible image.

Same goes for: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-AD.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-CP.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-OV.gif

For these ones, you have to do something different:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-phaser.gif
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/UE400-EQ.gif

For some strange reasons, after they were converted from 4-bit (16 grey levels) to 1-bit gifs (b/w) before uploading, photobucket refused to acknowledge them as such for reasons I don't understand.  So, stick your cursor/mouse in the middle of what looks like a completely blank screen, copy the image, and paste it into whatever graphics program you use.  I just finished sticking it into Powerpoint, which they use here, though if at home it would be Paint Shop Pro.  You should be able to make the b/w image that exists magically appear.

Sorry for the problems.  Wish I knew how to get around them.

Dirk_Hendrik

Apart from the fact that the copy paste thing doesn't seen to work so far...

What you're posting is UE-400 and UE-405 stuff mixed. Incredible thanks nevertheless. These schemmo's are hard to find.

Furthermore take notice that the 400 comes in two versions which were marketed in Japan (under Maxon) as the 400 and the 401. The difference lies in the distortion section which is like an Ibanez overdrive (0-series) for the 400 (antiparallel diodes to ground)  and TS like, like the one posted, (antiparallel) diodes in the feedbackloop. The 400 will say distortion. The 401 states overdrive.
Tha nagging part is that fur us non-Japanese (no flame intended for Japanese board members (but just tell me what caused Shin-Ei to get out of business :wink: ) the 400 and 401 were both sold as 400.
The way to tell the difference is the distortion vs overdrive labelling. This can be hard when trying to get one from say ebay. The easy way to tell the difference is that the 400 has 2 jacks on the left (input and output)(or, stereo chorus with one output.... :?: ) whereas the 401 has 3hree jacks and therefore can be wired for stereo. If looking for the one with the TS claimed overdrive inside make sure you get an 401 (so, the 400 with 2 outputs)

as for the 405.... Just get one!
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Dirk_HendrikApart from the fact that the copy paste thing doesn't seen to work so far...

First, thanks for the clarification.  I received the paper originals with minimal explanation, probably because there was minimal info to start with.

I copied the image into Powerpoint, sized it, then right-clicked on the image.  You'll see an option available for altering image properties second from the bottom.  Select colors from the submenu, and replace image colors with black.

MartyMart

I have a 400, with comp/phaser/distortion/chorus&flanger
It sounds superb !!
I was under the illusion that "distortion" meant an OD855 inside and the
"overdrive" version has the 808 inside ?
Mine has all '''808''' style knobs and square switches on the floor board.

cool!!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Dirk_Hendrik

Quote from: MartyMart
I was under the illusion that "distortion" meant an OD855 inside and the
"overdrive" version has the 808 inside ?

You could be very right indeed. My investigations went as far as the diodes and therefore concluding this was not a TS inside. No worries furthermore. I have several TS-es to help me out if needed and eventually always stick to my ST-9 superube.

Quote from: MartyMart
Mine has all '''808''' style knobs and square switches on the floor board.
As has mine. We're cool aren't we? :wink:
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

michael_krell

SO. Thanks for much for all the info. Does anyone have one of these footboards???? or maybe know how i can make one? the connector is the hardest part to find im sure, but even a wiring diagram would be nice. maybe i can put on like a RS-232 connector or something.

MartyMart

Quote from: michael_krellSO. Thanks for much for all the info. Does anyone have one of these footboards???? or maybe know how i can make one? the connector is the hardest part to find im sure, but even a wiring diagram would be nice. maybe i can put on like a RS-232 connector or something.

I have the floor board, I don't have a clue how the switching is working
i'ts got to be electronic/relays or something.
Give me a couple of day's ( working )  and I'll take it apart and have a
look at whats inside !!
I can post some good photo's of the gut's if that would help ?

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Dirk_Hendrik

The annoying this is that there used to be a Japanese page describing this.... Even Google is not too helpful today.

The switching is electronically utilizing FETS. As far as I can remember the foortswitch holds the flipfop circuits (one per switch) similar to those in a "normal" Ibanez Pedal which, through the cable, control the FET switches in the rack device.

michael_krell

wow, I thought it was just switches. If you can give me as much info as possible i would appreciate it. THANKS

Dirk_Hendrik

Step 1:
Locate vcc in your device on the switch connection.

Step 2:
Locate ground on that same commector.

Step 3:
Take a wire and make a connection from the vcc to the other lugs on the connector except that groun one. Quite a chance you'll be able to turn on the different effects already.

step 4 if step 3 works:
Buy a couple of switches to be able to make those connections with a switch per effect.

step 5 (if step 4 == OK):
build them in a pedal board.

at least... this is the road I'd take.

michael_krell

i have decided to just put this mother back on ebay, maybe i can get more money for it.

I just recieved a whole bunch of MXR pedals that i repaired. The only one I am having trouble with now is the Analog Delay.

I am going to post a new discuss. on that now.

I also got a MUTRON Bi-Phase that is my next project after this MXR is complete.

hotrod

I recently got a copy for the service manual för the UE 400, worse for me that it was for the 401(overdrive with PCB MP-UE601) NOT the 400 with distortion(MP-UE302A).

So, still waiting for the right schematics t show up, for the Maxon MP-UE302A.... :icon_sad: