News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus

Hello together,
great builds again, very impressing works  :)

Nothing new this time from me, but I upgraded my Dallas Rangemaster-Clone with some new old parts and added some Mojo...
I changed the three Input-Capacitors (two Mallory, one Nichiden) against three radial NOS Mustard-Capacitors from VALVO
and the Output-Capacitor (Mallory) against a Styroflex-Capacitor with the original value of 8,2nF for the OC71 version.
So the transistor got changed too (from OC44 to OC71 for sure).
The electronic is now wired with cloth-covered-wire to fit the look of the vintage-components.

Here is a picture of the new board:

(I will make a gutshot of the finished pedal tomorrow and post it here)

Greetings from Germany
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

connie_c

Quote from: JizZ on May 01, 2010, 10:29:08 PM
This is my first build, a tube boost with some swirls:

Id Check the intonation on that guitar. Looks wrong unless there is something wrong with your nut or you are using some weird tuning. Nice pedal.

Magnus

Hello together,
I wanted to modify my message two posts above, but I couldn't edit it (I'm logged in for sure),
so here is the gutshot of my forever-finished Dallas Rangemaster:

Here is a new photo of my Rangemaster, the clear vanish has become darker within time - i like it  :)

Then I finished two of my other pedals, just the last mods,
now they are ready and don't need to be touched anymore.
My "250 Overdrive" (DOD OVERDRIVE PREAMP 250-Klon - gray seventies version)
got an NOS LM741CN from National Semiconductor, I posted this pedal with all pictures
in this thread so I don't do it again and just post a link to the album:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=93

The other finished pedal is my "Woodface" (Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face-Klon (Germanium), modified),
where I installed an NOS Capacitor from Siemens in flat oval, looks great now :)
Here is the album, for those who don't know my pedal:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=100

Here is the gutshot:

Greetings
Magnus

John Lyons

Great looking boxes inside and out!
Nice work Magnus.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

glops

Those may be the nicest gut shots I have seen so far.  Awesome, Magnus!

Slade

Quote from: glops on May 04, 2010, 11:22:08 AM
Those may be the nicest gut shots I have seen so far.  Awesome, Magnus!
Everytime Magnus posts pedal guts I think the same. Someday I hope to do such good wirings in my pedals. Congrats, Magnus ;)

oliphaunt

Quote from: Magnus on May 04, 2010, 07:01:02 AM

Amazing wring, just a beautiful pedal!

frequencycentral

+1, those are beautiful Magnus.
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

knealebrown

I havnt been getting notifications about this thread but its safe to say ive missed some blinders. Magnus......your guts make me weep, soo tidy

ive just done a zvex sho with the words 'super hard on' written on it am i allowed to post? or does it break any rules? im really proud of her  :icon_biggrin:

EDIT: here she is....

''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

Slade

Quote from: knealebrown on May 04, 2010, 06:19:42 PM
DISCO HARD ON!!!! Its my first 1590a build and i love her  :icon_rolleyes:
I havnt been getting notifications about this thread but its safe to say ive missed some blinders. Magnus......your guts make me weep, soo tidy

Fantastic design, I like it a lot! And I love those knobs, I used 3 of them in my Beast Face II :)

If the pedal is made for personal use you're not breaking any rules.

knealebrown

Quote from: Slade on May 04, 2010, 06:24:04 PM
Quote from: knealebrown on May 04, 2010, 06:19:42 PM
DISCO HARD ON!!!! Its my first 1590a build and i love her  :icon_rolleyes:

Fantastic design, I like it a lot! And I love those knobs, I used 3 of them in my Beast Face II :)

If the pedal is made for personal use you're not breaking any rules.

thanks slade, wheres your next masterpiece then? i always look forward to those etches. Been reading your tutorial so my next post may be a botched etch attempt  :icon_smile:
''99 problems but a glitch aint one!''

glops

Finally finished a couple of things.  My last build was ages ago.  My "layouts" were more organized this time and overall my skills have gotten a lot better I think.
Soldering was better, less spaghetti, things went faster, and both builds worked once finished and no agonizing debugging nights!  My first time etching, as well.  The etches came out a lot better than I expected, especially taking the reverse etch gamble.  Overall, I'm very satisfied this time.  Both circuits are wonderfully sick.

Here's a Companion Fuzz with the Mark Hammer mid scoop mod.  Wish I would have put a boost on the end, maybe later. 

And the first circuit I ever wanted to do, but waited because I was daunted.  Extra knob is a collector bias adjustment for the last transistor

Taylor

Awesome, I really like your builds. I'd love to see the "family" together - those etches, the copper plated one, and I think there was a cool kind of pewter one with big honkin washers, too, if memory serves... Would like to see your pedalboard.

JizZ

Quote from: connie_c on May 04, 2010, 05:39:51 AM
Quote from: JizZ on May 01, 2010, 10:29:08 PM
This is my first build, a tube boost with some swirls:

Id Check the intonation on that guitar. Looks wrong unless there is something wrong with your nut or you are using some weird tuning. Nice pedal.

Thanks by the way.  ;) Yeah that was the day I installed my new saddles, it's now all set!

philbinator1

This is one of my fav. areas...I think in some cases, the work is so beautiful (Slade, Magnus, Rick etc) that in my mind it becomes
art as well as a functional pedal.  Surely that's the best of both worlds.   :) 
"Hows are we's?  We's in the f*cking middle of a dinners meal!  Dats hows we am!" - Skwisgaar Skwigelf

imbuedblue

It's about time I started sharing. Here are some crappy pics of some of my roadworn builds.

Clyde McCoy wah:

An opamp-based bastard of an overdrive (not a TS):

Rangemaster:

Jordan Bosstone:

NeoVibe:

Magnus

Hello together,

Quote from: John LyonsGreat looking boxes inside and out!
Nice work Magnus.
Quote from: glopsThose may be the nicest gut shots I have seen so far.  Awesome, Magnus!
Quote from: SladeEverytime Magnus posts pedal guts I think the same. Someday I hope to do such good wirings in my pedals. Congrats, Magnus  ;)
Quote from: oliphaunt
Amazing wring, just a beautiful pedal!
Quote from: frequencycentral+1, those are beautiful Magnus.
Quote from: knealebrown I havnt been getting notifications about this thread but its safe to say ive missed some blinders. Magnus......your guts make me weep, soo tidy
Quote from: philbinator1This is one of my fav. areas...I think in some cases, the work is so beautiful (Slade, Magnus, Rick etc) that in my mind it becomes
art as well as a functional pedal.  Surely that's the best of both worlds.  :)

Thank you so much for your nice words, I have not thought to get so much praise, I feel honored - thank you  :icon_redface:

@knealebrown: Nice design and great mini-enclosure-build!

@glops: Wow, really good designed etchings and mojo-guts!

@imbuedblue: The "OLD DIRTY BASTARD" is really awesome!

Greetings from Germany
Magnus

glops

Taylor, I'm glad you have remembered my postings and dig em.  I'll do a family portrait soon.  The pewter one was a Bosstone that didn't sound like a Bosstone and the way I laid everything out there was no space for the battery.  Someday, I'll bring that one back to life.  So, after a year there are only four completed pedals.  I need to spend less time on breadboards!  I think the hardest part for me has been how to finish the enclosures and dealing with graphics.  All I want to now is etch.  It was easy and I hate adhesives.  Off topic, but do you ever go to Mimi's?

imbuedblue:  Old Dirty Bastard - Genius.  And I really dislike those white nylon washers but perfect use on that Rangemaster.  I like when people do Rangemasters with that old school aesthetic.  

marlin

Hello together,
I wanted to modify my message two posts above, but I couldn't edit it (I'm logged in for sure),
so here is the gutshot of my forever-finished Dallas Rangemaster:

Here is a new photo of my Rangemaster, the clear vanish has become darker within time - i like it  :)

Then I finished two of my other pedals, just the last mods,
now they are ready and don't need to be touched anymore.
My "250 Overdrive" (DOD OVERDRIVE PREAMP 250-Klon - gray seventies version)
got an NOS LM741CN from National Semiconductor, I posted this pedal with all pictures
in this thread so I don't do it again and just post a link to the album:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=93

The other finished pedal is my "Woodface" (Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face-Klon (Germanium), modified),
where I installed an NOS Capacitor from Siemens in flat oval, looks great now :)
Here is the album, for those who don't know my pedal:
http://forum.musikding.de/cpg/thumbnails.php?album=100

Here is the gutshot:

Greetings
Magnus

Magnus, Very very nice! What kind of wire is that (not the cloth)? And where do you get it?

ralley

Hey Magnus - we seem to be on the same wavelength with our Rangemasters, here is mine from a while ago:

(Excuse the parallax errors that make the knob look off centre, it's not in real life)
And guts:

It's built on tag board.

Rob.
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon