Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

Nice Looping font.

midwayfair

Motjev, your stuff is always awesome.

---

Here's what I boxed up over the weekend and painted yesterday thanks to Hurricane Sandy giving me some time off work.

Screwdriver clone in a 1590A. Russian MP38A for the germanium transistor. The gain pot on the MOSFET is hardwired to the max setting, and the treble/bite is a trimpot. Enclosure is Red Starlight from Pedal Parts Plus ... and I think the clear coat actually made the powdercoating run a little, because the writing on the side got a little red in it.

A Blue Warbler (my envelope vibe design), built for Josh at 1776 Effects for Madbean's recent charity auction. The artwork features the first line of Leonard Cohen's "Bird on a Wire." :)

FETa Salad Compressor: Circuit Salad's Opto-FET compressor. The perf is a bit of a mess because I modded it twice after it was "done." It sounds good when it's compressing but it doesn't have much output on the higher compression settings and distorts if the compression is set to low -- there's a good fix but it reduces the output, so I just decided to leave it as-is.

Lemon Zester: Orange Squeezer (on Madbean's Cupcake board), with the gain mod. It's a 2.7K in series with a 10K pot in place of the 10K fixed resistor from pin 2 to ground. This is a great mod originally suggested by Mark Hammer. He originally suggested a 6.8K in series with a 25K pot, making the gain range ~x7 to ~x33. But the lower gain settings meant you had to underbias the effect to get above unity on the lower gain settings, and the highest comp settings just didn't compress more than you'd get by biasing it correctly and using a fixed resistor. So I made wired it so the gain ranged from ~x18 (just below the stock value) to probably about x40. It has gobs of output and it can go from normal OS subtleness to much harder compression.

Copper Crush: A Rothwell Lovesqueeze clone. I had messed around with the circuit a bit on the breadboard,  trying to extend its range some, bit in the end decided to solder it up stock. It's a really good, but subtle, transparent compressor/boost. I ran out of clearcoat before I could spray this one, so it looks a little weird at the moment.

Bearhug compressor: This is my new compressor design, using some principals from Jack Orman's MOSFET booster and the Lovesqueeze (which I actually understood thanks to PRR and Mark Hammer). It's perfectly silent, tonally transparent, and the compression ranges from almost no compression at all to "you can tell it's working." You can see the schematic, layouts, and read how it works in the Member Projects section at Madbean, though I'll probably post it here in a couple days after I get a better sense of whether there's going to be a PCB run. http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=6802.msg58211

And here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=WBJ3qcMjUcU
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

~arph

You completed six pedals in three days  :o I only got in one hour of disappointing AVR programming the last three days  :'(
EDIT: Btw I really like the sound of blue warbler fading in as the envelope decays. The schematic was unreadable tho  :icon_mrgreen:

haveyouseenhim

@ Jon    STOP IT! >:(

Stop being awesome ;D
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

midwayfair

Quote from: ~arph on October 30, 2012, 12:26:15 PM
You completed six pedals in three days

To be fair, most of these were already soldered and just waiting on boxes and/or painting (the only ones I soldered this weekend were the Lemon Zester and Bearhug, both of which were ~1.5 hour builds). The Warbler was boxed last weekend, but I was waiting until it arrived safely at its new owner's house before posting so he was the first to see it.

Quote from: ~arph on October 30, 2012, 12:26:15 PMThe schematic was unreadable tho  :icon_mrgreen:

Really? I'd be interested in knowing how to improve it ... is it just that the parts were values instead of numbers, or was it the use of connection points? DIYLC is the only thing I really have to draw a schematic with and it's handy for converting to layouts. :( Here's a "real" schematic drawn in eagle, but it doesn't have any color coding. :) https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9878279/Jon%20Patton%27s%20layouts/Nonmini%20builds/Blue%20Warbler%20Schematic.png

@Haveyouseenhim: No. :D
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Nikolay

This is one custom power supply unit based over my new power supply design concept, but this one has extra 4 outputs

JRB

After a year of building I finally finished my project of creating a all DIY pedalboard so its time for some pictures   ;D

First up Distortion MK1, my very first attempt at making a effectpedal with some components I had to buy for uni but never used. Its basicly a opamp with some clipping diodes.

Number two is the Miss Piggy Fuzz Face build following the schematic found on this forum.

Next up the Big Muff Pi Green Russian, or is it a APC I don't really remember  ;)

West-friesland compressor, its a optical compressor.

Small Time Delay as designed by The valve wizard.

Porkbarrel Chorus from madbean, the script in the middle reads "We come in music", its written in a alien vs predator font.

Ye good old england buffer and noisegate, a MXR noisegate and opamp buffer in one to save on board space.

The whole pedalboard with all the pedals and the home made power supply.

Unfortunately I was in a hurry to get everything ready for band practise so I couldn't open everything up to take gut shots.

~arph

Hey, I'm in Westfriesland too.. :D

g.

not a pedal (but very soon on pedal format too...) ! : an eurorack germanium distortion with cv control

Nikolay

^ Looks amazing! I love it. Respect!

Liquitone

Blimey!, south-east friesland here :p,. well just moved to groningen, but grew up there.

Liquitone

Looks great G! Been thinking about building some modular stuff as well.

~arph

Quote from: Liquitone on October 31, 2012, 11:24:49 AM
Blimey!, south-east friesland here :p,. well just moved to groningen, but grew up there.

Westfriesland is not west-friesland... it's actually in north holland.  Hoorn, Enkhuizen, Medemblik..

JRB

westfriesland doesn't equal the western part of friesland just to clear it up here is a wikipedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Friesland_%28region%29

garcho

@g.

dig the Eurorack, nice silk-screening (or however you did the graphics, they're beautiful), bravo!

what does the CV control in a distortion module? I've always wanted to make a 'growler' expression pedal - distortion in a wah shell that keeps unity gain as you up the overdrive with your foot.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

Liquitone

Quote from: ~arph on October 31, 2012, 11:33:20 AM

Westfriesland is not west-friesland... it's actually in north holland.  Hoorn, Enkhuizen, Medemblik..
Quote from: ~arph on October 31, 2012, 11:33:20 AM

Ah I see, that shows how much I know about geography :P, my bad. chhers for clearing it up :)

g.

Thanks guys !

@Nikolay
i'm glad you like it, i love your work !

@garcho
you can remote control the fuzz knob, so you can make a tremolo fuzz or the like...

Mac Walker

^Congratulations, that's impressive.  I've think I've heard of Depeche Mode before, they have a few hits maybe? :icon_razz:

bluebunny

^^^  I always wondered what Rick Holt looked like...   ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

bluebunny

Anyway, this is what I boxed up yesterday.  ...  Then had to open up again today because I'd wired in a momentary footswitch!   :icon_redface:

What can I say?  The damn thing "clicks"!  An easy mistake to make.  (I hope.)

Switching irregularities aside, I can see why Jimi likes his Rebote.  I've had the board lying around for ages and finally got around to building it.  Glad I did.
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...