News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allesz

A small contribution in all senses, and a jump back to sloppy quality diy builds.
To all the great boys around here: please go on posting your beautifull works, I need it (and it's not a joke :icon_twisted:).

After years with just delay and overdrive, I now have a pedalboard, and it's all diy. It's, from right to left, overdrive (one transistor job), fuzz (a modded fuzzrite), delay (a mid fi pt2399 job, with just repeats and time pots... so hard to put one in a 1590LB box without smd or special parts), and a vico vibe clone.

The board is made of cardboard right now.

vigilante397

Quote from: allesz on September 08, 2014, 11:04:59 AM
A small contribution in all senses, and a jump back to sloppy quality diy builds.
To all the great boys around here: please go on posting your beautifull works, I need it (and it's not a joke :icon_twisted:).

After years with just delay and overdrive, I now have a pedalboard, and it's all diy. It's, from right to left, overdrive (one transistor job), fuzz (a modded fuzzrite), delay (a mid fi pt2399 job, with just repeats and time pots... so hard to put one in a 1590LB box without smd or special parts), and a vico vibe clone.

I LOVE IT.
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

gena_p1

allesz

Thank you guys!

And a big bravo to gena_p1, the russian pikdropper  ;) The nicey factor (?) of tiny pedals makes them soo additive.

I really just wanted to make a little fuzz to add to my two pedal set up... then went the overdrive... then the vico vibe, since I had left a badly drilled box (I have to draw a decent schematic of this one, I found an easy way to bias the "output" transistor). At this point I thought: "I really just need a delay pedal"..... let's hope it sounds decent with the band, always had problems with my pt2399 desings  :icon_redface:

pickdropper

Awesome.  I like the small form factor (surprising, right?).

edy_wheazel

MXR GT-OD Zakk Wylde mod

alanp

Stomptown's Pennyroyal Chorus. Tight fit in a 1590B, I'd use a 125B if I did it over.

LaceSensor

Hi guys

first build for me in quite a while; been on vacation and also had a lot of work on.
This is a build for my Dads 62nd birthday. In previous years Ive made him the odd pedal. This is definitely the coolest!
Its a fuzz face on a pedal parts PCB board, using gain matched (around 190hfe) BC108b metal can transistors.
I added 47pF smoothing caps just in case, and the output cap is 100nF rather than 10nF.
Its NPN, negative ground. I decided to keep it vintage and not add a power jack.
Case is a heavy (~1kg) Tone Bender mk1 enclosure from Pigeon FX in the UK.

Total build cost around £40. Sounds really good to me at least.

Here is the good stuff:

Govmnt_Lacky

Lovetone Cheese Source..... LOVE IT!!!

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

chicago_mike

Hey Lacky! Is there a layout for that cheese source? :)

storyboardist

Built this modified LPB-1 booster to match a custom Jaguar I'm building a guy. Some "case candy" if you will.

Finished up this Civil War Big Muff clone last night. 3-way tone switch and I added a clean blend. The smoothest Muff I've played.

Guts

vigilante397

• SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

Freekmagnet

The Funky Popsicle has a really fun little design on the box that I recycled from another electronics project I did several years ago. I was looking for a retro graphic that was a both nostalgic and, well, funky and modern. The box itself is painted a really cool automotive metallic root beer color, that doesn't really render onscreen well, but I think the image sort of speaks enough to communicate the look I was going for.

The pedal itself is clone of the ever-popular Electroharmonix BassBalls Envelope Filter complete with a few really cool mods suggested by Mark Hammer here at diystompboxes.com. By itself, I always felt that the EHX BassBalls was more of a novelty than a useful pedal. It sounds really cool, but in practical use, it's not really all that effective. However, with a few mods, it can be really cool. I highly recommend adding the Decay knob and the Mix knob (the Mix adjusts the emphasis between the upper and lower sweep). This adds a whole new realm of usable and dynamic sounds to the pedal. And with a Boss OC-2 Octaver before it - look out - synth bass ahoy! I also opted to keep the stock fuzz circuit, because after hearing the Bassballs demos, I actually liked the froggy vocal character it produces. Now mind you, the easiest, and most common mod is to mount the internal trimpots on the outside of the box, but after hearing a few demos and actually building the pedal myself, I felt that moving the trimpots isn't a worthwhile mod. Most of the sounds aren't very usable, and as far as adjusting the lower filter, there's a really only small window of usability. Mark Hammer's suggested mods do include mounting the upper filter pot on the outside, and this does add extra dimension of cool tweakability.

Another little point I might add, this was my first stab at etching my own PCB. Initially, I tried using the more friendly vinegar and hydrogen peroxide method, but it didn't work for me. I ended up buying some etchant at Radio Shack and it worked great! I hate the using nasty chemicals bit, but I love that I now have two extra PCB's and another Funky Popsicle box on my workbench.

In the end, this is currently my favorite envelope filter pedal. It sounds great, and when it's blended into my dry signal, it makes for a really fun effect. It can produce a lot of really cool sounds and it is intensely dynamic and responsive to touch. The li'l lady seemed to be impressed as well. When I first tested it, she happened to walk into the garage and she said, "I really like that - it sounds like coconuts!"

deadastronaut

^ cool, love the retro label... 8)

coconuts?..wtf.. ;D
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

duck_arse

coconuts? is that what you were aiming for? looks very nice.
don't make me draw another line.

Freekmagnet

Quote from: duck_arse on September 13, 2014, 11:36:57 AM
coconuts? is that what you were aiming for? looks very nice.

Ha-ha no, I wasn't going for coconuts. The coconuts comment was just a very cute moment with the woman in my life. I don't know if you've messed around with a BassBalls filter, but I could kinda see how she would be reminded of coconuts.

hylandren

.... from right to left, overdrive (one transistor job), fuzz (a modded fuzzrite), delay (a mid fi pt2399 job, with just repeats and time pots... so hard to put one in a 1590LB box without smd or special parts), and a vico vibe

Jeezus, how is that even physically possible?  :icon_eek:
I built an A/B switch in a 1590LB, and with 3 jacks, a 3PDT switch, 2 LEDS, and a power jack in it, there was absolutely no room for anything else!
PLEASE post some closeup gut shots on those 1590LBs , I am dying to see how you did that!

allesz

Hallo and thank you.
I posted a couple of gut shots at page 1224 actually not pretty but they give you the idea.
And to make two decent enclosures I screwed two more  :icon_mrgreen: one has bees saved wiyth the vico vibe btw, the second one who knows...

Mustachio

I love the style on that Funky Popsicle!
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

GammaFlex

My latest, just a rangemastery boost.. thingy. The Kanji says "Soba" which is buckwheat noodles, if you've never had them, you are missing out