Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lyman

24 gauge solid core hook up wire mate!
cheers  :)
"I like distortion and I like delay. There... I said it!"
                                                                          -S. Vai

amptramp

Quote from: Jamdog on April 24, 2016, 10:38:50 PM
This is my hard clipping diode custom design.  I played with a tl072 and clipping diodes until I liked the result.  This is its second enclosure. I call it the screaming monkey.  The eyes are the clipping diodes (yellow leds)  and lights up when it distorts.

LED's make good (buy leaky) photodiodes, so it would be interesting to see if the clipping level changes with light level or if strobe lights can modulate the clipping.  Nice looking unit!

Jamdog

Quote from: amptramp on April 25, 2016, 11:21:17 AM

LED's make good (buy leaky) photodiodes, so it would be interesting to see if the clipping level changes with light level or if strobe lights can modulate the clipping.  Nice looking unit!

Interesting.  I wasn't aware of that fact.  I'll do some tests with this.  Could be interesting to have strobe-induced clipping...  Lol.

Thanks for the compliment.  This sticker is why I re-housed the pedal: I just had to use them leds for eyes on the mad monkey!

I'll add some text in the future too.
-Jamdog

amptramp

I used to be in a company that manufactured avionics and we were having a difficult time trying to get infrared touch panels to work in direct sunlight.  Someone suggested we try green LED's to get away from the huge amount of infrared at altitude.  We built a touch panel with green LED emitters and receivers and green optical filters but we found the leakage current was high and varied from unit to unit and also increased with temperature to the extent that it masked the effect of illuminating it with green light.  Interesting idea and it did function in a narrow range of temperatures, but we never got it to work reliably over the full military temperature range and ambient light.

Have fun testing over temperature and with various amounts of ambient light - you might be able to induce interesting effects with a strobe light.

LED's have the same problem as germanium diodes and transistors - there is no passivation layer to trap the active semiconductor below the surface, away from surface leakage currents caused by contamination.  In the ordinary use of an LED, this does not matter.  You can grow an oxide on silicon that is impervious, so silicon leakage is very low.  Germanium oxide is conductive, so you are out of luck there.

Jamdog

Quote from: amptramp on April 25, 2016, 11:40:31 AM
I used to be in a company that manufactured avionics and we were having a difficult time trying to get infrared touch panels to work in direct sunlight.  Someone suggested we try green LED's to get away from the huge amount of infrared at altitude.  We built a touch panel with green LED emitters and receivers and green optical filters but we found the leakage current was high and varied from unit to unit and also increased with temperature to the extent that it masked the effect of illuminating it with green light.  Interesting idea and it did function in a narrow range of temperatures, but we never got it to work reliably over the full military temperature range and ambient light.

Have fun testing over temperature and with various amounts of ambient light - you might be able to induce interesting effects with a strobe light.

LED's have the same problem as germanium diodes and transistors - there is no passivation layer to trap the active semiconductor below the surface, away from surface leakage currents caused by contamination.  In the ordinary use of an LED, this does not matter.  You can grow an oxide on silicon that is impervious, so silicon leakage is very low.  Germanium oxide is conductive, so you are out of luck there.
My (quick)  reading on the matter seems to point that leds have narrowband photodetection.  I think the yellow ones would mainly read yellow light.
-Jamdog

Jamdog

Here's my germanium fuzz face,  where the transistors are pulled from used old avionics equipment I got from a surplus a while back.

I don't have a stomp switch handy,  so I figure I could use the switch guard instead,  goes with the avionic-ness of the effect :D

-Jamdog

duck_arse

Quote from: Jamdog on April 26, 2016, 09:41:54 AM

it's got a nose like a proboscis monkey. or jimmy durante.
don't make me draw another line.

jimilee

Love everything about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben Lyman

I came up with a better (to me) OCD so I swapped the board out of my previous build for the new improved "Super Cod"
Wanna see it happen? Well, too bad cause yer gonna  ;D

-S. Vai

Hatredman

Not the right topic, but any soundclips?

What are de differences between this and the previous one?
Kirk Hammet invented the Burst Box.

Ben Lyman

not much different than my old "Super Cod"
This one has a 1n914, 1n270 and a 1nF cap instead of 2 1n4148's and a 10nF (or Mosfets) in the clipping section (or whatever you call that space between opamps)
I also scaled down the tone control to be more useable, no "mud to ice pick" range
                                                                          -S. Vai

Mustard

My last build, etched enclosure, I suck at taking pictures.

thermionix

Quote from: Mustard on April 27, 2016, 10:43:43 AM
My last build, etched enclosure, I suck at taking pictures.

Very cool, I like to use eyelet boards where possible also.

Scruffie

AC30 Top Boost channel preamp with a MOSFET source follower in to a self split 12AU7 power amp ala the Firefly in a 1590BB powered by a 12VDC supply using a MAX1771 SMPS.

steveyraff

Envelope Filter. The crystal grants the user special magical mojo powers.

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

darron

Amped Scrambler clone
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

vigilante397

Quote from: darron on April 30, 2016, 07:45:49 PM
Amped Scrambler clone

I've always been a huge fan of your work good sir. This pedal is no exception 8)
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

tubelectron

Again and again, I always see amazing etched or painted finishing in that thread... That I can only admire, being still unable to achieve them ! Congratulations  :icon_cool:...

When not using old various equipment plates for odd-retro looks, I stick to laser engraved and cut plates, here on a clear grey box :

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

diydave

Some recent builds:

1) A stock Red LLama in a diy first-trail trapezium enclosure.

2) The Butt-Weiser: a jfet buf 'n boost circuit with toneknob to bleed off some bass.

Finish is just office-paper with clear plastic foil (the kind you use to protect the cover off a book) that is glued on the enclosure.
Kinda like making your own stickers.
The glue may be a problem. It tends to bubble the paper.

Jamdog

Quote from: diydave on May 02, 2016, 05:42:06 AM
Finish is just office-paper with clear plastic foil (the kind you use to protect the cover off a book) that is glued on the enclosure.
Kinda like making your own stickers.
The glue may be a problem. It tends to bubble the paper.

Use 3M spray adhesive and lacquer instead... 
-Jamdog