News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willypp

Haven't posted for a while.  Here's an update.

This is Gunslinger, from Steven King's The Dark Tower series.  I'm seriously hanging for the movie to come out, and the TV series based on The Wizard and The Glass should be some epic darkness if it's anything like the book or comic.  The artwork features Roland in the field of roses, and the Gunslinger's Litany, plus the classic opening line:

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed."

The pedal itself switches between a Cranked Ac from Sabrotone's layout, and a Crunchbox layout from Tagboard.  "Ka" - lifeforce - turns the pedal on, while Twinner - a person's twin from the Territories - switches between the two dirts.  "Darks" is the gain, "Kes" is volume, while "Thinny" is tone - all are high or low language terms from The Dark Tower, The Talisman, or Black House.

No stacking of the drives. The idea is to get a chimey low-mid from the AC, and the hard high gain from the Crunchbox

While looking for an interesting project, I came across a layout in the Tagboard forums.  The linked video sounded great, so I decided to build this one.

It's named for the classic Ozploitation movie "Razorback", which is in turn what we call feral pigs over here.  If you haven't seen it, you probably should.  If you can, find the book - it's even better - and it will further convince you to stay home and never visit Australia.

The pedal schematic itself seems a lot like a Wampler Plexi, minus the tone controls.  I added a BMT marshall based tonestack and LPB-1 booster from another Tagboard layout and it makes it the sonic adjustment quite broad.  I also put the "Bright" switch on the "Bite" footswitch.  It makes a subtle difference, but it is there.  Bit more "something".  The switch made much more difference before I added the tonestack.

I also used 2sk118 jfets which are functionally identical to 2sk170 according to the datasheet bible at the LHS.

The dirt level starts at "Panama" and goes up from there.

Not a fan of the clearcoat I used for this.  It tends to craze on the curved edges once the box starts getting handled.

One Knob Gate, built off a vero layout that I found in the Tagboard forums.  For those who don't know, the fellow on the front (and the font, and the font fill style) is the Guardian taken from the Ultima series of games.

This was to be my first effort at waterslide decaling.  It came up ok, but I couldn't manage to keep the edges from coming up.  I'd drilled the enclosure earlier off the template thinking I'd put LEDs for the eyes and then realised I'd be struggling to line it up.  Then I came up with the brilliant (!) idea of waterclear yellows behind the decal.

I still had to line it up properly.  Luckily, waterslides let you do that with a bit of soap in the water.

Anyway, because the decal wouldn't stick at the edges, I eventually went to my usual inkjet sticker paper.  I lined it up by putting my phone under the enclosure, light facing up, and lining the sticker up with the bright spots shining through.  Worked remarkably well.  Etching primer on the whole box, mask and spray white undercoat on the top face, place sticker, many, many, many, coats of clear.

Guts are messy, it's a recycled stomp, and I think my soldering iron should be tossed - I don't think it's hot enough.

Came out ok overall.  It's usable.  Basically, plug it in, and turn the knob until you hear the noise go.  It's a pretty sharp knee, you'll definitely hear it.  Not very good on clean sounds (the gating is a bit distorted or something), but after dirt it is fantastic.  It really makes it punchy or something.  I'll definitely be including this circuit in a dirtbox sometime.

bamslam69

Still gotta read Black House. Talisman is one of my favourite books.

Epic pedals, BTW. Love the Razorback.

Got any Mad Max themed pedals coming up? Cundalini's Hand, perhaps?
Yeah Nah - Nah Yeah

bean

Here's an OD based on the Blackstone Appliances. Done up in some good ol' cowboy tolex.

vigilante397

Quote from: bean on October 27, 2016, 07:35:56 PM
Here's an OD based on the Blackstone Appliances. Done up in some good ol' cowboy tolex.

I peed a little. :icon_eek:
  • SUPPORTER
"Some people love music the way other people love chocolate. Some of us love music the way other people love oxygen."

www.sushiboxfx.com

bluebunny

Quote from: bean on October 27, 2016, 07:35:56 PM

Very nice.  Where did you find a cowboy to donate his tolex?  Can he still function without it?   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

deadastronaut

brian, i could eat that....yum. 8)
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

bluebunny

Quote from: bluebunny on October 28, 2016, 03:36:06 AM
Where did you find a cowboy to donate his tolex?  Can he still function without it?   ;D

Quote from: vigilante397 on October 27, 2016, 08:21:43 PM
I peed a little. :icon_eek:

Nathan still has his tolex.  ;)
  • SUPPORTER

s0b9r

Hello everyone, new to the forum. Here are some of the pedals I make. Without all the great info on this site, it would be impossible!

Willypp

QuoteGot any Mad Max themed pedals coming up? Cundalini's Hand, perhaps?

I love the Mad Max movies and I've been trying to do something based on the V8 Interceptor for a while...

bluebunny

Quote from: s0b9r on October 29, 2016, 01:22:49 PM
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Here are some of the pedals I make. Without all the great info on this site, it would be impossible!

Welcome!  Liking the graphics on your pedals.  :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER

Elijah-Baley

Yeah, the colours are fantastic! ;)

What pedals are they?
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

s0b9r

Quote from: bluebunny on October 30, 2016, 09:19:30 AM
Quote from: s0b9r on October 29, 2016, 01:22:49 PM

Welcome!  Liking the graphics on your pedals.  :icon_cool:

Thanks! I wanted to use silk screens, it was completely frustrating at first haha, but after all it was worth the trouble :)
The big blue one is a deep blue delay with mods, modulation, oscillation switch, tails etc.
The black-green one is a fuzz, something between a Zvex Fuzzolo and a D.A.M. Meathead with an oscillation switch.
And the yellow one is a dirt pedal with three modes (overdrive and two distortion types)

bean

One more tolex job. This time it's a silicon Tonebender and Rangemaster. My power connections are a bit sloppy on the top. I really wish those DC Jacks had larger holes for multiple wires!

bloxstompboxes

Quote from: bean on October 30, 2016, 11:48:12 AM
One more tolex job. This time it's a silicon Tonebender and Rangemaster. My power connections are a bit sloppy on the top. I really wish those DC Jacks had larger holes for multiple wires!

Why not splice the wires together first, heatshrink them, then take one from the splice to the jack instead?

Floor-mat at the front entrance to my former place of employment. Oh... the irony.

davent

I've drilled out the holes to make them bigger and life a little easier. Not a lot of extra material there but it does make a difference.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

bean

Quote from: bloxstompboxes on October 30, 2016, 01:58:41 PM

Why not splice the wires together first, heatshrink them, then take one from the splice to the jack instead?

I think I'll end up doing that because just knowing that current mess is in the box makes me cringe.

roseblood11

Or solder a small piece of stripboard to the jack...

hylandren

Quote from: bean on October 30, 2016, 11:48:12 AM

When I first saw this I thought that was an etched enclosure, and I cursed out loud! lol
Very cool retro look!

GiovannyS10

My last build, using photoresist paint like i said on my thread. What you think about?  :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

That's all, Folks!

"Are you on drugs?"
-ARSE, Duck.

www.instagram.com/allecto

bluebunny

Nice result, Giovanny.
  • SUPPORTER