News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: dbp512 on December 05, 2016, 10:58:42 AM
Oh man tom, that looks phenomenal. I'm glad I didn't order the flanger yet, I'll wait until this is ready to ship as well.

Unfortunately, it looks like I just won't be able to fit these in vertical enclosures with top mounted jacks. With the flanger it looked like it could possibly work, but certainly not this. Oh well, for these beauties, its worth the extra board space, and even the *shudder* side mounted jacks.

If that's in a 1590BB you could top mount using a 1590Q which is a square based on the long side of the 'BB'.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

balkanizeyou

This one was made for a guy that's a big fan of comics. I don't even know who the hell is Silver Surfer, but shhh!
Still haven't learned how to take good photos either.
Pre-glitter version:

Post-glitter:

As a bonus, my first eurorack synth module. It's a minimoog VCF from yusynth.
A valuable lesson I've learned - apply the decal and clearcoat AFTER drilling the panel, not before - could have saved me a lot of scratches on the panel! Oh, and mounting holes for the PCB are a thing, so design the panel so that the screws don't cover the text.
But oh well. Still haven't bought the knobs of course.

Stamgast

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself first. I'm Martijn, a 37 yo Dutch broadcast senior sound engineer (A1) who plays some piano, guitar and bass. My knowledge of electronics and schematics is a bad, just a tip of the iceberg I guess. But while behind the sound desk I came with the idea to build a stompbox, using a DIY kit. Bought a Fuzz Face kit, a soldering iron and some other tools. What could possibly go wrong?
A lot, I learned. My soldering skills were good enough to make a fine microphone cable but something delicate as a PCB wasn't in my heat sensitive fingers so far.
All and all I'm happy with the result and the skills I've learned, so I've decided that I wanted to share some pics with you. Don't hesitate to comment, all good for the next pedal.

Fresh out of the box. I ordered this kit at Jeds Peds.

All parts except the knobs and the LED lens. The knobs were from Thomann and the lens, with some tools, from Conrad.

Soldering the PCB...

First time soldering a PCB. The result is not very neat, I'm a bit ashamed...

More parts ready to get soldered

The PCB with all components soldered. Some connections weren't good, a capacitor wasn't soldered good enough and one of the legs of the Fuzz-pot wasn't making proper as well. Jeds Peds helped me with it.

https://flic.kr/p/PnsEPQ
Testing the sound and biassing the transistors. I think a fuzz should sound dirty and grumpy, but that's my opinion.

Test fitting of the knobs for the scales. The knobs are not what I first had in mind but are nice enough, I reckon.

Just before taking out the electronics for laying down the scales, text and after that, transparent lacquer.

All electronics are out again. Tested the whole circuit with the foot switch and stereo 6,3 mm jack.

Texts are there with the scales. Yes, these go to eleven... I used SENO tranfer letters to do them. Next time they will be stickers, I think. It took a lot of time to do this neatly and had to do a part again because I rubbed it of while degreasing prior to lacquering.

Input and 9 volt ports. The polarity sign was done with a capital C, a period and pieces of arrows.

Finally done. The right side. Only a few rubber feet at the bottom to prevent damage and moving.

The left side. I used 4 layers of primer, 10 layers of red paint and 5 layers of blank lacquer.

Top view. Very happy with my first stompbox. Next time, I might use normal paint instead of spray cans. Next time? Yes. It was fun to do so I'm thinking about doing a delay or a opto compressor.

(All photo's were made with an iPhone except for the last 3 ones. Did those with my DSLR and a flash with a soft box. Placed the stompbox on top of my washing machine)

ElectricDruid

For a first build, Martijn, that's beautiful. Congratulations!

Your soldering iron looks like it has a pretty large tip for PCB soldering, though some here might disagree with me. I prefer something much finer.

Good luck with the next one!

Tom

stallik

Pretty amazing for your first build and such patience with the lettering.
If I may, one suggestion on your next build would be to populate the physically lowest components first as it's much easier.
Looking forward to your next build
Oh and welcome!
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Stamgast

Quote from: ElectricDruid on December 06, 2016, 03:38:36 PM
For a first build, Martijn, that's beautiful. Congratulations!

Your soldering iron looks like it has a pretty large tip for PCB soldering, though some here might disagree with me. I prefer something much finer.

Good luck with the next one!

Tom

Thanks!
I tried to change the tip of my iron. Of course, the screw broke off... I might order a spare iron to plug into the station, they're not expensive and will be absolute helpful the next project.

ElectricDruid

Also I only just noticed, but you actually made holes for the anti-rotation tabs on the potentiometers! Wow!
I always just break them off with pliers. But I'm a lazy scumbag, and I mostly mount the pots on the PCB anyway, so it isn't so important. It's hard for the pot to start getting ideas about turning around if its legs are soldered firmly into a board, even if the locking nuts come loose. In fact, that's one of my reasons of preferring board-mounted pots (the other being "I hate wiring", of course...)

Tom

dbp512

Funny, I'm pretty much the exact opposite. I wire almost all my pots/switches offboard. Sure dealing with wires is a pain, but I'm a bit anal when it comes to the position of my controls as I prefer all my builds to have an similar layout. When I started building I used stripboard, so that might have something to do with it. I'm not sure what I'll do with your flanger and digidelay. Time will tell.
Dave's not here, man

On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio
- Hunter S. Thompson

duck_arse

I'm worried about that one giant eye of yours, Stamgast, but welcome anyway, nice looking pedal, extra points for using blank paint.
don't make me draw another line.

runmikeyrun

DAM meathead clones.  Built three- one for each guitarist and one for myself (bass).  Bass version is slightly tweaked in reference to input/output cap values.  It's an interesting variant on the fuzz face. 

I built the deluxe version, well sort of.  The bias trimmer for Q2 is nice to have.  I used a concentric pot for sweepable input cap range (dark control) and output cap range (low cut control).   I skipped the attack external pot in exchange for an internal trimpot.  I set the gain to have the best range of gain when turning the dark control.  I did this mostly in the interest of conserving space and limiting the number of knobs, and also because the dark control reduces/increases gain in a usable range.  I thought a gain control would be superfluous.  I really liked using the concentric pot, although I wish the control was shorter.

Technical stuff of note: I've used several different rattlecan clear coats and this time I tried Rustoleum 2X.  It's the best clear I've used, hands down.  It laid down like glass and is very durable- usually tightening nuts on pots, jacks etc causes little wrinkles or chips.  Not this stuff.  Stinks to high heaven though. 

We are getting a doom project rolling so this is gonna be the foundation for our tone. 

As for the graphics, I usually do stuff that's inside jokes or something crude.  The guitarist gives middle fingers after every song, and we were at a show with a dog this summer and he kept yelling at it when it barked saying "damn it, sandy!"  No idea what the dog's real name was[emoji23]

Ham fisting my way through
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

diydave

a westbury W-20, with a 6112 submini tube and a nixie powersupply.

sounds nice to.

Elijah-Baley

Wow! May we know something more about this project? :icon_cool:
Thanks! ;)
«There is something even higher than the justice which you have been filled with. There is a human impulse known as mercy, a human act known as forgiveness.»
Elijah Baley in Isaac Asimov's The Cave Of Steel

bluebunny

Finally got around to boxing this one up.  It's Jon's "Falstaff" booster:

Hopefully having a few days off over Christmas will allow me to process some more of the backlog.   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Cozybuilder

Quote from: bluebunny on December 12, 2016, 04:00:45 PM
Finally got around to boxing this one up.  It's Jon's "Falstaff" booster:

That looks like you etched my hero, Pink Jimi Photon  ;D
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle.

steveyraff

Just finished these two builds. One guy wanted a Woolly Mammoth clone, which was pretty straight forward.

The other wanted a Human Gear Animato with a blend control. Got some help on here as to exactly how to use the Split'n'Blend circuit as a daughterboard within the same enclosure. Also made use of a Sziklai pair the same as the original - NTE 102 and 103 transistors. They were a bit of a nightmare to source, but got them eventually. Trying to keep it real 'n all lol It turned out a fairly busy build - I just can't believe it worked perfectly the very first time I fired it up! I've had serious head scratchers with WAY simpler builds. I was actually dreading it when I first hooked it up for a test drive - amazed when it was good to go straight away lol Oh - the guy is a Mighty Boosh fan apparently. Old Gregg is a character from that show.

By no means a pretty gutshot, and a bit messy looking - but personally I find keeping the wiring slack prevents problems when boxing it all up. Allows for a little more movement when trying to squeeze it all in there. Wish I was one of those people who can do those lovely looking symmetrical wiring jobs - but just glad it all works! lol

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

bluebunny

Quote from: Cozybuilder on December 12, 2016, 04:43:48 PM

You're giving me ideas...  I think PJP deserves to be immortalised in a pedal graphic!   :D
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

duck_arse

Quote from: bluebunny on December 15, 2016, 03:28:10 AM
Quote from: Cozybuilder on December 12, 2016, 04:43:48 PM

You're giving me ideas...  I think PJP deserves to be immortalised in a pedal graphic!   :D

not going to fit in a 1590a, is it?

stevey - nice of you to look after the wooly feet.
don't make me draw another line.

steveyraff

stevey - nice of you to look after the wooly feet.

Yes well, frostbite is to be taken seriously - even for the Woolly Mammoth.
Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk

Kipper4

Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

steveyraff

Steve.

www.outlandstudios.co.uk