News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: cloudscapes on June 07, 2009, 10:53:34 AM
andrew that looks completelly sick! did you etch it with the bolted-on metal or without?
it looks liek the iside of some industrial-walkman!  ;D

Quote from: Taylor on June 07, 2009, 01:30:31 AM
Etienne, how do you keep the sides of your boxes from looking runny? When I've done the epoxy, the vertical surfaces didn't stay nice and smooth like yours because the epoxy is too liquidy and runs off quickly.

I apply it twice. the second time twenty minutes later when the mix has turned a little syrupy. I use the underside of a plastic spoon to keep the top from having too much, and the excess oozes down the sides.

it rarely turns out this good, though. usually there is some noticable streaking.

Would it be possible to sand the epoxy layer level with wet sandpaper backed with a small hard sanding block and then polish it up again to a high sheen like you do with a lacquer finish? Could you sand it level then top coat with lacquer to restore the sheen?

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Taylor

Maybe, but I think having to do all that would lessen the appeal of the stuff - which to me is largely how easy it is to get it nice and smooth (on the top, anyway)

solderman

Here is the Donkey Kong. I gave it its name because it can sound like those old Commodor VIC 64 games and arcade games from the early 80:s. 4 switches and a pot was a menace to wire. Its based on the Slacktave MKII. I'll post more in the 1590A thread, tech info, project files and sound samples etc. as soon as I have had time to record it and compile the info.

//Solderman

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

andrew_k

Quote from: cloudscapes on June 07, 2009, 10:53:34 AM
andrew that looks completelly sick! did you etch it with the bolted-on metal or without?

lol, thanks mate. Etched without bolted-on section, but decided on its placement prior to masking with masking tape and paint. No pre-sanding on the box helped the crackling effect.  It's my favorite sounding fuzz I've built, but I won't have it for long as it's getting given away in a certain fuzz trade  ;)

andrew_k

Quote from: solderman on June 07, 2009, 05:40:56 PM

:o :o :o
Fantastic! I look forward to the samples and docs!

Br4d13y

heres a rehouse of my dd-3 i did in a hohner vol-kicker pedal i found at the swap meet for 10 bucks

the sweep controls delay time so i can get some whacked out ring-mod sounds 8)

freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

fuzzo

Really impressive solderman :o

solderman

Quote from: JKowalski on June 07, 2009, 12:46:13 AM
Quote from: cloudscapes on June 06, 2009, 11:30:06 PM
jawari with volume and extra tone shaping

Those knobs are awesome!

They look like lizard eyes.

:o :o :o :o
Absolutly amazing Finish. Really nice job you can be very proud of
How many layers of clear coat is it, 10 or more ? I usualy give mine 3 or 4 and they don't come near yours.

www.soldersound.com

fluoreszenz

Here is the Donkey Kong. I gave it its name because it can sound like those old Commodor VIC 64 games and arcade games from the early 80:s. 4 switches and a pot was a menace to wire. Its based on the Slacktave MKII. I'll post more in the 1590A thread, tech info, project files and sound samples etc. as soon as I have had time to record it and compile the info.

//Solderman

Awesome  :o

;D How did you manage to tighten all 4 screws at the switches ?

aChorusofJays

Killer stuff guys! Love that fuzz-face, I knew it had to be a fuzz just cause it looked like a tank.

Contest threads are up! Submit those killer stomp-box design pictures! Winners get their pedals featured in my (soon to be published?) book. Talk to me about possibly advertising in the back.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?board=39.0

studiostud

Quote from: Br4d13y on June 08, 2009, 01:09:30 AM
heres a rehouse of my dd-3 i did in a hohner vol-kicker pedal i found at the swap meet for 10 bucks

That's pretty sweet.  You should put a 3PDT toggle switch on the side that allows you to switching between using the pedal to control the delay time or the repeats.
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

Taylor

Quote from: solderman on June 08, 2009, 09:41:19 AM
How many layers of clear coat is it, 10 or more ? I usualy give mine 3 or 4 and they don't come near yours.

It's done using pourable epoxy resin, so it's technically only one coat, though he says he pours it a couple of times. It piles up that thick in one coat, and it self-levels, so it comes out thick and smooth and shiny like that without any polishing or multiple coats. It's tricky to get the vertical surfaces smooth, and it takes about 24 hours to dry to the touch (and even longer to be completely cured), but it's a great finish technique.

gwtekman

My builds...still working on guts!

solderman

Quote from: fluoreszenz on June 08, 2009, 10:24:28 AM

//Solderman

Awesome  :o

;D How did you manage to tighten all 4 screws at the switches ?
By persuasive talk and mild force ;D

www.soldersound.com

cloudscapes

just one layer
(if you consider oozing a second bit of coat whiel the first one is still wet as single)

its not regular clearcoat. it's clear epoxy resin. it has the consistancy of runny syrup and so you just pour it on and even it out with a plastic spoon. gravity takes care of the rest. takes about two days to fully harden, but then you dont need to buff or polish it or anything.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

solderman

Quote from: cloudscapes on June 08, 2009, 05:14:44 PM

just one layer
(if you consider oozing a second bit of coat whiel the first one is still wet as single)

its not regular clearcoat. it's clear epoxy resin. it has the consistancy of runny syrup and so you just pour it on and even it out with a plastic spoon. gravity takes care of the rest. takes about two days to fully harden, but then you dont need to buff or polish it or anything.
OK, Thank's need to try that some time

www.soldersound.com

Br4d13y

Quote from: studiostud on June 08, 2009, 01:43:07 PM
Quote from: Br4d13y on June 08, 2009, 01:09:30 AM

That's pretty sweet.  You should put a 3PDT toggle switch on the side that allows you to switching between using the pedal to control the delay time or the repeats.

i was planning on it ;D  but i just havent had the time to order one from small bear
freedom is the freedom to say 2+2=4

studiostud

Quote from: solderman on June 08, 2009, 05:29:59 PM

just one layer

Where can you find that stuff?  Is it something that is readily available at local hardware stores? or a specialty item?
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

jacobyjd

Quote from: studiostud on June 09, 2009, 02:03:27 AM
Quote from: solderman on June 08, 2009, 05:29:59 PM

just one layer

Where can you find that stuff?  Is it something that is readily available at local hardware stores? or a specialty item?

+1
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

Thomeeque

Quote from: gwtekman on June 08, 2009, 03:28:01 PM
My builds...still working on guts!

Classy (all of them, I'm just saving space here ;)) !!
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!