News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tehfunk

Well, this pedal was practically forever in the making, i'm pretty sure this was one of THE pedals that inspired me to look around and discover this forum and the world of diying stompboxes. Sadly, I learned that both versions were hard, and that no one had, as far as I could tell, ever really cloned the one I really wanted, so I was like awww chucks, so I got around to discovering other pedals I liked, but this one always dwelled in the back of my head, and during my free time I'd try to find more of what little info there was out there about it. So here it is, nothing that special from the looks, but real special for me, an Ibanez WH10 wah grey version (dual gang/pot) clone. One pot makes the wah sweep, and the other boosts the volume along the sweep, without the boost, the volume decreases as you sweep the pedal ( I tried it on the breadboard), so the boost compensates for it but also plays a role in giving the pedal its unique sound. With a lot of help from an amazing member of this forum, Mick Farlow, (on that sweet and perfect aluminum bracket for the second potentiometer), I was able to complete the pedal. It's actually rather funny, I must have made a few topics about 8 months ago, asking questions about whether you guys thought certain pots would work for the pedal and so on, well that pedal I was talking about was finally realized quite a while later, and only took me about 2 days to actually construct. Anyway here are some pics.

that's Mick's great work on the left, thanks again!

The dpdt switch is a Guitar/Bass mode switch, interestingly done. The potentiometer is a depth pot, and it's really cool as well, it somewhat mixes more of the wet signal in with the dry, but also accents the sweep more in a way, and seems to boost the volume a bit. It really is a sweet sound, more synthy then the typical inductor sound, the only disappointment about it is the fact that no 500k G taper pot exists, so the sweep is a little bit mismatched with the increase in volume that the 50k linear pot does, so the circuit distorts a tad in the middle of the sweep and then evens out and re boosts, rather than if the taper was proper the volume boost would work with the wah a little better. Also, I personally love the diy folded piece of paper in between the 3pdt switch and the enclosure to get the pedal to switch on and off without the switch interfering with the size of the sweep or me needing to be extra careful.
-Sam
P.S. sorry for the long-winded post, I'm just really proud of myself and needed to express it ;D
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

flo

That's an ingeneous solution for that "impossible" WH10 wah pot!  8)
Did you just push the pots into to the black thingy? (what's the word for that in English?) It looks like a regular "Dunlop Wah Gear":
http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p465_Dunlop-Wah-Gear.html

JKowalski

Here ya go. Modded V809 Repeat Percussion. I suggest putting a large value filter cap on this pedal - the THUMP THUMP of the modulation on even the SLIGHTEST amount of power supply noise can be very noticable when you stop playing. I put a 1000uF in mine (tiny bit overkill). Battery would be the best choice here.

It would have worked well in the 1590A - I wished I had one on hand to design around. Theres so much extra space in my version!

frequencycentral

Quote from: cloudscapes on March 20, 2009, 12:03:37 AM
Hollow Earth waveshaper/modulator.

(click for hires)

Hold down the "record" pushbutton, "draw" out an LFO/envilope shape with the "shape" knob (it can be several seconds long), and release the button for it to start looping the shape and modulate the volume of whatever instrument you have plugged through it. AKA "tremolo". Push button agai nto design a new one. Or! Or toggle "punch-in" switch to edit the existing shape with whatever you feel! "smotheness" knob makes it smooth if the waveshape sampling feels a bit too steppy/aliased. It happens if you sample at a very slow tempo and keep it very slow. "speed" accelerates or decelerates the LFO. I forget what "volume" does.

Two LEDs on either side of the bypass switch (under the decals/finish). The one on the right follows your wave "drawing" as well as when it's looping. "firmware upgradeable"

Video sample tomorrow.

Quote from: cloudscapes on March 21, 2009, 05:23:44 PM
made a video of that waveshaper I made a few days back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-lxVIeZybA

Cloudscapes, that is pure genius. Now when are you making the pedal which applies the modulation you have there to a voltage controlled filter? And the pedal which applies the modulation to a voltage controlled oscillator which is the modulator signal for a ring mod? Just one more thing - sliders are faster to tweak than pots - have you considered making the rate and shape into sliders?

Awesome!
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

cloudscapes

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 22, 2009, 07:04:16 AM
Cloudscapes, that is pure genius. Now when are you making the pedal which applies the modulation you have there to a voltage controlled filter? And the pedal which applies the modulation to a voltage controlled oscillator which is the modulator signal for a ring mod? Just one more thing - sliders are faster to tweak than pots - have you considered making the rate and shape into sliders?

Awesome!

Thanks Rick!

I can't take credit for the idea. the lightfoot labs goatkeeper gave me a lot of inspiration
http://www.lightfootlabs.com/
I couldn't justify getting the whole thing, especially since my tremulus lune covers everything I need in a trem (minus waveshaping). so I tried to find out how I could make it myself. :)
at one point I had built a sort of payback looper that woudl record a tone with amplitude modulation, and that was my "waveshaper". it was full of problems, though.

I've uploaded the basic sourcecode here
http://nearworlds.org/stuff/diy/bascom_avr_waveshaper.zip
if anyone who does pic/avr stuff is interested in it
it's probably not super efficient. I just started with microcontrollers 10 days ago and hadn't done any code in 8 years (since high school)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

frequencycentral

Quote from: cloudscapes on March 22, 2009, 02:01:19 PM
Quote from: frequencycentral on March 22, 2009, 07:04:16 AM

Awesome!

Thanks Rick!

I can't take credit for the idea. the lightfoot labs goatkeeper gave me a lot of inspiration
http://www.lightfootlabs.com/
I couldn't justify getting the whole thing, especially since my tremulus lune covers everything I need in a trem (minus waveshaping). so I tried to find out how I could make it myself. :)
at one point I had built a sort of payback looper that woudl record a tone with amplitude modulation, and that was my "waveshaper". it was full of problems, though.

I've uploaded the basic sourcecode here
http://nearworlds.org/stuff/diy/bascom_avr_waveshaper.zip
if anyone who does pic/avr stuff is interested in it
it's probably not super efficient. I just started with microcontrollers 10 days ago and hadn't done any code in 8 years (since high school)

Yeah, but what about the Filter and Ring Mod version?  :icon_biggrin:
http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

cloudscapes

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 22, 2009, 02:08:13 PM

they'll definatelly come  :icon_biggrin:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

tehfunk

Quote from: flo on March 22, 2009, 06:39:14 AM
That's an ingeneous solution for that "impossible" WH10 wah pot!  8)
Did you just push the pots into to the black thingy? (what's the word for that in English?) It looks like a regular "Dunlop Wah Gear":
http://www.musikding.de/product_info.php/info/p465_Dunlop-Wah-Gear.html
Yep, that's what I did, the pots I bought were actually round shafted, so I had to carefully file down just the right amount on each of the shafts so that they would fit in the d-shaft fitted wah gear, it works very well, and being extra careful with lining things up was important to make sure that there wasn't too much stress on the shafts of the pots. I still want to work on the alignment of the sweeps to get it as close as possible to the original.
Carvin CT6M > diystompboxes.com > JCM800 4010

The tools of the artist give you a chance to twist and bend the laws of nature and to cut-up and reshape the fabric of reality - John Frusciante

solderman

Quote from: JKowalski on March 22, 2009, 06:44:01 AM
Here ya go. Modded V809 Repeat Percussion. I suggest putting a large value filter cap on this pedal - the THUMP THUMP of the modulation on even the SLIGHTEST amount of power supply noise can be very noticable when you stop playing. I put a 1000uF in mine (tiny bit overkill). Battery would be the best choice here.

It would have worked well in the 1590A - I wished I had one on hand to design around. Theres so much extra space in my version!
Txs a lot, I shuld have missed the tranny with out this.

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

davent

Quote from: solderman on March 22, 2009, 04:29:11 AM
Quote from: JKowalski on March 22, 2009, 02:57:07 AM

There it is. It's a really neat sound - you really should try it out. It needs a unijunction transistor though - it lets you get that pick attack wave shape real easily. I got a handful of them (2N2646's) from ebay.

For the LED to pulse with the speed, I just buffered the oscillator's signal on the middle pin of the unijunction transistor with a LM741, and then controlled the led on/off with a rat bypass setup.

EDIT: I thought you would find it! I used a 2n3904 and a 2n2222 for the transistors, I forgot which ones I put where. And thats not a FET. It's a unijunction transistor - a unique type of semiconductor - it has two bases and one emitter. I used the same as listed, a 2n2646. I dont know if they still make them...? Might have to get NOS like I did.

EDIT 2: Yeah - on mouser, there's a replacement for the 2n2646 but they go for $6.00 apiece!! I got six of them or something on ebay for about 3 bucks.

If you want to try - I can take a pic of the oscillation signal at the base of the modulation transistor on my scope and you can try to replicate it with a different oscillator..?

Tnx, Il try to hunt it down trough my "NOS source" or EBay. I'm not really sure I got the  LED pulsing setup do you mean from E> Pin 3 then take the Cathode on the LED to pin 6 and switch LED anode+ ROhm On/of on the stompswitch?? any Chan's of a schem??

//Solderman

EDIT: Found the 2n2646 for a OK price at Banzai http://www.banzaieffects.com/2N2646-pr-16504.html

EDIT: Think I found one who has taken this one Commercial and beaten me to put it in a 1590A box :o :o
http://www.catalinbread.com/Valcoder.html Time to get the old soldering iron going  ;D ;D

//Solderman

For finding those odd ball parts there are a couple search engines you can use  They search through stock of a bunch of different suppliers and can save a lot of time although i think they just search N. American companies.. They both return hits for the 2n2646.

http://www.findchips.com/avail
http://octopart.com/search?q=2N2646

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

ForcedFire

I loved that tele with the etched aluminum pickguard a while back. Here's my take on it...

Guitar is an Agile AS-820

cloudscapes

Quote from: frequencycentral on March 22, 2009, 02:08:13 PM

as for the sliding potentiometers, I'd liek to experement down that path, but not really equipped to cut slots in hammond boxes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

m-theory

QuoteWhere did you get that battery holder? The ones I bought from Mouser are too tall to fit into the B-size shells I use...
That's not a B box, it's a DD, which is a bit taller. 

Quoteas for the sliding potentiometers, I'd liek to experement down that path, but not really equipped to cut slots in hammond boxes.
No doubt.  The best option for a typical DIYer, from a quality standpoint, would be to take the box to a machine shop and pay them to cut the slots.  Could be rather pricey that way, but it would assure excellent quality.  Short of that, the only thing I can think of would be to cut out a square section of the box and replace it with a small piece of sheet metal, to which the slider pots would be mounted.  Certainly cheaper and a viable alternative, but not necessarily a simple task, and certainly not as top shelf looking. 

solderman

This is

Pink Noise
or 1/ƒ as some would call it is a Fuller mod Fuzz Face, schematics from R.G. The Technology of the Fuzz Face.
I don't like the sound of a Fuzz. Why build it then? A friend of mine gave me tree NOS Valvo AC128 and as a stomp box builder it would equal with treason not to use them. He worked as a developer at Ericsson and found them in the scrap bin, along with other vintage stuff, when his department was moving. He asked people that had worked there since the 60: s and they sad that they probably were from back then. Two were 90 and 93 hFe and low leakage. Since it's a PNP and positive ground I had to incorporate batteries in the enclosure so the little black package you see is 3x3V lithium cells 75 mAh each. It actually produces 12.6V together, don't ask me why, Its a little too much for this but whatever. As I won't use this much and a fuzz is cheap on battery it will last forever

The Zingo
First I was gona call it Jaffa but then I remembered Zingo. My homies will know what this is. For you how don't Zingo was one of the most popular sodas before the world was Coca Colalfied, this was in the early 70:s and It came in Orange (guessed the effect yet?), Chocolate, Pear and Apple.

When I searched for an early Zingo logo from the time that this effect origin I stumbled on those pics and I just have to share this. The first one is in "Gobbli gobbeli " for most of you. It is an add in the Swedish edition of Donald Duck. Answer what road signs and win a super cool chopper. (I hade almost like that). The second is of a band called Zingo (first line up 72-78 mine you) Look at there hairdo!!!!!! Man those guys are really dudes. anybody heard of them or heard something from them?? The site, "Pacific Northwest bands" is also something special. http://pnwbands.com/zingo.html.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

//Solderman
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

The Tone God

I guess I can throw this up for those who were asking:

Payback v2.0

Knobs:

Vol: Volume of playback
Tone: High end on playback
Rec: Record level
Fid: Fidelity of the recording. At full clockwise is full quality. Turn down if you want "Lo-Fi" sound quality.
Depth: Vibrato intensity
Speed: Rate of vibrato

Switches:

Play footswitch: Start the playback of the loop.
Rec footswitch: Start recording during bypass unless Safe switch is engaged. Behaviour during playback is dictated by the Mode switch.
Mode: Controls how the Rec switch will behave during playback. Up allows the switching of vibrato on and off. Down allows you to record a new loop then auto start the loop playback when done.
Safe: Protects recording from being erased. Does not interfere with vibrato mode switching.

LEDs:

Play: Playback occuring
Rec: Recording loop

Andrew

Barcode80

was there ever a project for the payback? i've been looking for a decent looper...

Valoosj

Andrew, do you have a layout? I still have SIX ISDs lying around, waiting to be turned into paybacks...
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

jayp5150

Someone wanted me to do a tie dye pedal. I couldn't figure that out and my wife won't let me buy a Spin Art (I mean... uh... I don't WANT to... yeah, that's what I meant...  ;) )

So, I wrapped it in fabric. It turned out nice, but I found out that clear coat and the adhesive don't go well together... had to re-do it...  >:(

I'm pleased with the results, though.

It's a GGG Boutique late 60's fuzz. 3AX31C's from Smallbear.

Here's a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_rPKLG9kI

jacobyjd

Quote from: jayp5150 on March 23, 2009, 07:16:53 PM
Someone wanted me to do a tie dye pedal. I couldn't figure that out and my wife won't let me buy a Spin Art (I mean... uh... I don't WANT to... yeah, that's what I meant...  ;) )

So, I wrapped it in fabric. It turned out nice, but I found out that clear coat and the adhesive don't go well together... had to re-do it...  >:(

I'm pleased with the results, though.

It's a GGG Boutique late 60's fuzz. 3AX31C's from Smallbear.

Here's a youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP_rPKLG9kI

Nice :)  --How do you like that Dean acoustic?
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

JKowalski

Two things - first, a mini amp that I built a while ago. It still needs a miniature knob - I just haven't found one that I liked enough yet. I guess it's like the ruby amps everyone keeps building, though I did not build it from "ruby" schematics. But its based around the LM386 which I believe the ruby is too. The speakers are old transistor tape reel speakers. It sounds pretty good. The one knob is simple - it's just a gain control. This thing can get LOUD. Especially with a high output pickup! I might put a boost in front of the 386 circuit later on so I can replicate that level with low output pickups. I might also run two 386's on it instead. It's the perfect test amplifier for circuits!

The second isnt a DIY project, but a 60-70s? Pioneer Stereo Reverb unit (SR-101, 100% tube) I bought from someone on ebay that I fixed up, and configured for guitar use: The 1/4" jacks on the front are not standard, and the circuit was set up in a way that one channels reverb mixed with the other channels clean (why I do not know) so it was impossible to use it for mono. I set it up so each channels reverb mixes with it's own clean. The unit sounds fabulous - for reverb but ESPECIALLY as a tube preamp. It can make any amplifier sound incredible. Really has pronounced mids, and thats what I like.

I thought I would share that with you if ONLY for the way awesome lighted front panel display!! It's a rotating drum behind a curved clear plastic panel that has a diagonal line paper pattern on it. It's attached to the reverb knob, so when you turn up the reverb, more lines are displayed and they end up crosscrossing - a visual representation of the amount of reverb! I love it!