News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Pictures!

Started by Hal, August 23, 2005, 01:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

CultureJam's cool little vibe/phaser/filter effect (from the Function FX fundraiser). I modified it to have a rate LED, and made some adjustments to use a super bright LED (though in the end I probably would have been fine with the regular red LED). I also used an on/off/on switch for the mode, so it has a mode that's just the two wobbletrons in a row.

Sounds pretty cool. The "big cap" mode, which I labeled filter, is very unusual, sort of a cross between a filter and phaser effect, and I think the project is worth a build just for that mode.

Madbean's Grease Gun (also from the Function FX fundraiser), with a germanium transistor and a pair of OA126 diodes.

When I moved it from the breadboard to the PCB, I made some changes to the coupling caps -- the output cap was overkill, and there seemed to be something wrong with the decoupling cap after Q1 -- it was 2n2 in the original, but there was only a very tiny bit of signal coming out of there, even though the calculator says that it should pass most of a guitar. I ended up just using 100nF for every coupling cap in the circuit and it's a very dirty boy now.

Finally, in addition to the germanium transistor in Q2, I also decided to just use a BC549C in Q1 because the input impedance was bellow 500K, so there was no benefit IMO to using the (more expensive) MOSFET. Incidentally, the joke on the enclosure about magical germanium is a nod to there being almost no difference in sound here between the BC549C and the germanium in Q2 and that the OA126 diodes have the same Fv (and thus sound basically the same) as the 1N914s called for. ;)

I'd recommend this one with the caveat that you should be prepared to try a couple different values in place of that 2n2, and to think of the pedal as more as a roleplayer.

What's it sound like? Kinda greasy. No, really. The treble cut on the tone knob is fairly deep, and the feedback diodes are a little spongy sounding, and it also gets pretty dark on lower gain settings. It sounds really cool pushing the yellow channel on my Hot Rod Deluxe, and it also sounds pretty neat stacked after something else into the rhythm (blackface) channel on my Imperial. I know Brian plays an AC30, so I suspect that the tone knob's extremeness is very friendly with a cranked vox.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Schizo910

My take on a Wampler Pinnacle type clone.

wildebelor

Not a great photo but something I put together really quickly tonight!

Modified Rat with an FAC depth control.
LOVE it!
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

Mario44

Just finished my biggest effect, actualy multi-FX. It has no knobs yet, but I like it as it is even now. Aluminium case is hand-made.
12V power supply built inside. From left: echo base delay(great effect, thanks slacker!), phase45, mxr microamp/orange squeezer, tubescreamer, bluebox. All workalikes, just remade them as I liked.
Only delay is not true bypass, thats because of tails feature, but its good thing to have buffer at the end of fx chain.
Bluebox is on a second channel which can bypass whole effect or run through bluebox. I made also fx loop(only for channel 1), so when I'll get tube amp I can use it too.
The only weak point are pots. I was strugglin for about half a year, but it was worth effort. This multi-fx costed me more or less the same if I would like to buy 1 or 2 boss stompboxes  :icon_lol:.

Frances Rhodes

hey y'all

here's a little angel i made for my friend's dad's 60th birthday.
i turned out to be a month and a half late cause i couldn't have the PCB done by anyone nor have anyone help me do it, so i had to do a point-to-point wiring, which took a little longer
anyways, here it is. not sure of the knobs but that's all i got...
the effect is pretty subtle compared to what i'm used to hear (and compared to rick's demos also), but it's ok when the depth is maxed out, so i guess it's fine. :)
blue LED (of course), hand engraved (thank you dremel), and it's a piece of some old broken eric-clapton-&-his-band 7" my room mate found on the pavement ;)

and since i guess the no-guts-no-glory thing is still running...
still a little messy, but i hope that someday i can make more than 1 pedal every 12 months to get better!!

cheers
x
"If it's too loud, you're not too old, it's Alancka Effectors."

https://www.facebook.com/alancka.effectors?sk=info

midwayfair

^ That's seriously cool.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

duck_arse

^^ very nice. knobs look right, too. if you wanna see "messy" .....
don't make me draw another line.

Luke51411

I love the record! Did you just glue it to the enclosure? I might have to steal this idea (if you don't mind of course :icon_biggrin:)

Frances Rhodes

thanks a lots guys, really appreciated!! :)

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 22, 2014, 10:46:38 AM
I love the record! Did you just glue it to the enclosure? I might have to steal this idea (if you don't mind of course :icon_biggrin:)

no, not glued, the pots and switch screws hold everything together.
and i will accept cash (if you don't mind of course :icon_biggrin:)

Luke51411

I'm afraid I'm a bit low in the cash department... :icon_cry:

Frances Rhodes

Quote from: Luke51411 on April 22, 2014, 11:39:47 AM
I'm afraid I'm a bit low in the cash department... :icon_cry:

hehe in that case i lose, you can steal the idea mister ;)

Alejandro B.

Custom built delay for a great friend of mine biker and fan of rockabilly music. In normal mode you can only control delay A pot, while in rithym mode you can interact with both PT2399 thanks to delay B. Also, having rithym selected, you can choose two classic delay modes with the switch on the right.
I have added a 3pdt to control speed while pushed. Speed grows progressively having it pushed on, when released speed will smothly return to previous situation creating an interesting space atmosphere.

Trying to master etchings....

Magnus

Hello,
great builds, etches and steampunk-style - this is art  8)

@Darron: Beautifull mojo-wiring  :)

Here's my latest build, I posted it in the "Murder One"-thread because of...........

...............................it's a "Murder One"  ;)
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=73222.msg970180#msg970180

Greetings
Magnus
AMZ Booster, Dist. +, DOD 250,
Dr. Boogey, Fuzz Face's, JCM800-Emu, LPB1,
May Booster, Obsidian, Orange T/B-Booster,
Pentaboost, Prof. Tweed, Rangemaster's,
SansAmp GT2, Superfly (Amp), Guv'nor,
Tone Bender MKI/MKII/MKIII, TS 808

SonicVI

Copy of a '69-70 perfboard Big Muff with real Fairchild high Hfe 5133's.

duck_arse

are you going to leave that ^ plain, sonic? the to-106 always look classy.
don't make me draw another line.

SonicVI

yeah, I don't do decals.

Mika

Will.mendil

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!! How long did it take you to make that. I want one!!!!
Don't know what to do with a paritculare transistor? Check this website where stompbox pedals are listed by what transistors they use

http://scfxguide.wordpress.com/

wildebelor

That looks excellent!
How was the artwork done? screen print? water slide transfer?
I can't think of anything funny just yet.

Galego

Quote from: Mika on April 25, 2014, 04:59:36 PM

Nice, but one suggestion: it seems like the default configuration is that the output of one effect goes to the input of the next effect, being that the case, why not use switched jacks and make that connection internally? You could avoid having all those patch cables unless you really wanted to bypass one or plug in something else.

Só agora vi o "Alimentação Externa", és o Mika do forum música?