Tant polarity ? on GGG schematic...

Started by ShoeGazer, August 23, 2005, 09:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoeGazer

Hey guys,

This is my first post on the forums. I am in the process of building the Tube Screamer circuit from the GGG site. I purchased the board from there and just purchased two switches from here.

I have a quick question about the tant caps...which way should the positive be facing on the .22's? There is no polarity indicator on the layout diagram. C9 & C5

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ts_lo_808.gif

I have really enjoyed reading the pages on this forum. I am learning quite a bit!!!!

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Fret Wire

If you look on the schematic for that circuit, you'll see that the neg. lead of each tant. .22uf cap goes to ground. So, looking at the layout you posted, the pos lead would go to the top in both caps, neg. towards the bottom of the board. Notice on the layout there is an outside trace on the pcb that starts from the top left of the board and runs all the way around the bottom to the top right hand side of the board. It is the main ground trace. The neg lead of C5 goes directly to it (ground). The neg lead of C9 goes to ground through R11 (220 ohm.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

ShoeGazer

Fret Wire
Thanks for the fast reply!!!! I am still learning, so your help is greatly appreciated!

Fret Wire

You're welcome. :)  I forgot one thing: you don't have to use tantalum for those two .22uf caps. Ibanez does, but most people just use .22uf film caps. It really doesn't matter either way. Some prefer the sound of tants, others prefer film. I only mention this in case you felt you had to use them. Like I said, it doesn't matter which you use.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)