Drum Wrap revisited, photos

Started by SonicVI, August 24, 2005, 04:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicVI

Here are some pics of my Ross/Orange Squeezer duo with drum wrap for the finish.  I cut the wrap, which is called Blue Onyx, with scissors, glued it to the case with contact cement, and very slowly drilled holes through it.   The box is a prepainted black Hammond 1590N1.  The toggles are to switch between the Ross or the OS and the other for Mark hammer's treble mod for the Ross which doesn't seem to make much difference to my ears unless I have done it incorrectly. The knobs are Volume (dual 12mm pot controls volume for both compressors), Sustain (reverse 500K Ross only), and Attack (another dual 12mm pot works for both compressors, very subtle mod imo).  

Daniel

casey

sweet box...great idea....i wonder if there would be a way to etch lettering in that stuff.....
Casey Campbell

SonicVI

I'm sure there is someway to, the wraps are not colored all the way through but have black or white backing. I think it's beyond my current ability though.  I'll probably use some white rub on lettering if I do any lettering at all. I know what all the controls do :)

Dave_B

FWIW, drummaker.com has a clearance section where you can buy leftover pieces of drumwrap for cheap.  At the moment the selection is pretty good, too. Careful though, some of the finishes wouldn't be suitable for pedals because they scratch too easily.

If anyone is interested, click on "NEW Complete PARTS GUIDE Online" then "Coverings" then select "On Blowout" from the dropdown menu.
Help build our Wiki!

SonicVI

I only paid like $1.50 a piece for 6"x6" squares from precisiondrum.com.

Dave_B

Quote from: SonicVII only paid like $1.50 a piece for 6"x6" squares from precisiondrum.com.
That beats my deal.  :)
Help build our Wiki!

petemoore

Maybe pin it down to a scrap board, clamped close to, and slowly cutting with a sharp paddle bit?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

Quote from: petemooreMaybe pin it down to a scrap board, clamped close to, and slowly cutting with a sharp paddle bit?
The colors and reflections look beautiful !!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

bwanasonic

I don't know how economicially feasible it would be, but maybe a place that does engraving for trophies, etc. could engrave the drum wrap material? I know someone here got some nice results using trophy engraving.

Kerry M

Dave_B

Quote from: bwanasonicI don't know how economicially feasible it would be, but maybe a place that does engraving for trophies, etc. could engrave the drum wrap material? I know someone here got some nice results using trophy engraving.
The thing is, drum wrap is generally fairly thin plastic.  If you wanted to go the engraving route, I would think you'd have to engrave a piece of plexi to mount on top.  Not to be discouraging.   :)
Help build our Wiki!

SonicVI

It would have to be very shallow engraving but I think it could be done, maybe even with a dremel engraving bit. The only problem is that on some of them the engraving would be very hard to read.  That blue only looks so bright and reflective because of the flash. It's not that bright normally.  Maybe if you painted underneath the wrap and cut all the way through it would show up better.  Some of the wraps like the sparkles have white backing though which would show up better.    I don't think that I'll end up putting any labels on this one just because I don't think they'd be very readable on the dark blue and black background.