What's the best way to get Brushed Aluminum finish ?? ....

Started by Melanhead, August 25, 2005, 08:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melanhead

Well the last few batches of pedals I've built I've only painted the top of the box and chose to use 60 grit sand paper on a hand held sander to get a sorta brushed finish for the sides.

I just bought some wire brushes for my drill to try to get more of a swirl effect ...

Anyone know how it's really done ???

nelson

I just use sandpaper.....

I dont think there is a "proper way" to do it.

experiment.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

sir_modulus

the actual brushed metal finish is where you would use the side of the wirebrush (one of the disc shaped ones) and make long light marks going in one direction across the box. I like the trick you described earlier of using sandpaper (I use 220 Grit) and going with a little oscillating sander.

Cheers,

Nish  8)

troubledtom

use a rotozip w/ the sander/polisher pad. it's a special order item straight for them.
http://www.rotozip.com/
    -tom

Melanhead

Quote from: sir_modulusthe actual brushed metal finish is where you would use the side of the wirebrush (one of the disc shaped ones) and make long light marks going in one direction across the box. I like the trick you described earlier of using sandpaper (I use 220 Grit) and going with a little oscillating sander.

Cheers,

Nish  8)

Cool, that's what I was gonna try with the wirebrush disc .. Just haven't had a chance... the sander works well but some spots take longer than other to get the "brushed" look and seems a little un-even at times. Probalby 'cause I'm impatient :)

Melanhead

Quote from: troubledtomuse a rotozip w/ the sander/polisher pad. it's a special order item straight for them.
http://www.rotozip.com/
    -tom

Wow  :shock: that's a cool device !

C Bradley

Get a large dowel rod and glue 220 grit paper to one end. Stick the other end in a drill press. Turn the drill on and press the dowel against the top of the box. Move the box about 1/2" to the side and repeat.  :wink: Looks pretty cool.
Chris B

Got Fuzz?

Melanhead

Quote from: C BradleyGet a large dowel rod and glue 220 grit paper to one end. Stick the other end in a drill press. Turn the drill on and press the dowel against the top of the box. Move the box about 1/2" to the side and repeat.  :wink: Looks pretty cool.

ahhh ... cool as well ... many ways to skin a cat :)

chunks717

i bought wire brush, and there is NO WAY (without serious clamp/drill press....maybe not even then) to get swirls with it, on its side, it kindof does the brushed thing.
now i use my cordless umm......hand, sand off ox. etc with lighter paper,and 220 grit sand paper for swirls. (one size fits all!!!)

Eric H

Quote from: MelanheadWell the last few batches of pedals I've built I've only painted the top of the box and chose to use 60 grit sand paper on a hand held sander to get a sorta brushed finish for the sides.

I just bought some wire brushes for my drill to try to get more of a swirl effect ...

Doe you mean like this:

http://users.abac.com/ehensel/stompbox/amps/amp1e.jpg

That's called  "machine turning", and there's some info on the web if yousearch. You need a drill-press, and I used valve-grinding paste on a round leather pad I made.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

chunks717

toothpaste-ish? or grittier...............or oilier w/ grit
just curious

smashinator

Quote from: chunks717toothpaste-ish? or grittier...............or oilier w/ grit
just curious

If you're going for the "what do I have on hand" approach, you might want to look at Lava/Gojo soap (I like lava, personally, but a friend of mine swears by Gojo.  I think he's nuts.), or AJAX scrubbing powder with a little water.  Or sand with water/oil.

Think ABRASIVE.  Like something you could, for example, use to grind the valves in an engine with.

Toothpaste will probably just make your box minty-fresh.  :D   That isn't always a bad thing.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

petemoore

Mount sandpaper over newspaper to a board.
 Pick a straight board and mount it so it's got sandpaper coming out from where the two boards meet, as a guide.
 Pin the box to be brush finished to the guide and sand foreward and back on a side at a time...
 Any sqigglies from letting the box get away from the guide take time to get out.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dosmun

I flip my belt sander over and secure it then hold the box against it.  It works great and is much quicker than by hand.

Rick

If you have access to a sandblaster -try this also. It can produce a very
nice uniform finish in little time. You could probably get some nice swirly patterns as well.  Less elbow grease the better I say. ...Rick

Melanhead

Quote from: Eric H
Quote from: MelanheadWell the last few batches of pedals I've built I've only painted the top of the box and chose to use 60 grit sand paper on a hand held sander to get a sorta brushed finish for the sides.

Doe you mean like this:

http://users.abac.com/ehensel/stompbox/amps/amp1e.jpg

That's called  "machine turning", and there's some info on the web if yousearch. You need a drill-press, and I used valve-grinding paste on a round leather pad I made.

-Eric

that's cool! ... more ellaborate then I want though ...

Pedal love

Wire brush...up and down on hammond-type boxes.  Don't go even a millimeter to the side!pl