Tone Stack Help

Started by audioguy, August 25, 2005, 03:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioguy

I've built what feels like a billion pedals... thanks go to everyone here for the help with those!
I'm wanting to really start tweaking some- mainly the Obsidian. I want to add a Marshall Tone Stack to it.
Aron has posted various tone stacks, but Im not sure how to wire them up. Is there a particular layout someone can point me to in order to study it against a schem?  This would really help me wrap my brain around it.

Thanks for the help!

Audioguy

hairyandy

Hey Audioguy,

Check out this website:

http://amps.zugster.net/articles/tonestacks/

I had the same question last week and did a Google search and found this site.  It helped me out immensely and I was actually able to understand the concept.  I ended up using a modified version of the Baxendall circuit in the new pedal that I'm working on, tentatively called the "Beef Curtain".

:)
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

audioguy

that was EXACTLY what I needed. Thank you so much!

hairyandy

No problem.  That website is great and totally helped me to understand how it all goes together...
Andy Harrison

Dave_B

Quote from: hairyandyI ended up using a modified version of the Baxendall circuit in the new pedal that I'm working on, tentatively called the "Beef Curtain". :)
Do you have artwork for the new pedal?   :D
Help build our Wiki!

hairyandy

I'm working on it at the moment.  Also, I have a potential new method for cheap, professional looking pedal finishing.  It's not really new, but a good friend works for an imaging company that can print to thin, sticky, laminated vinyl in full color and the machine will do the cutouts as well.  All you have to do is design it and email it to them and then stick 'em on!

I'm going to test it out and try to get them to offer it cheaply as a service to all of us here...
Andy Harrison

audioguy

I just put a Baxendall on a boost that I had laying around... totally cool. Im loving how simple it was to build but the sculpting capabilities are just awesome.
thanks again for the link!

hairyandy

I thought the same thing.  I tried the simple one-knob old Fender circuit and it just kinda sucked with my pedal (opamp-diode clipper).  The Baxandall was great though and once I tweaked it to the right frequencies it kicked ass.  It does suck out some gain though.  Try switching out  the tone stack with an SPDT switch and check out the difference.
Andy Harrison

audioguy

Did you use the same values posted on that site?

hairyandy

I started out there but I changed them real quick.  As I remember, I changed the treble resistor so it was more in the high-mid-to-treble and i changed the bass resistor so it was much lower.  Read the little mods blurb on his site about paralleling the 180K bass resistor.  I just kinda ran  with it and started plugging stuff in...
Andy Harrison

audioguy

I will check that out... I also like the look of the Moonlight hes got up there. I'll be trying that one out as well.