enclosure question

Started by samuelk, August 26, 2005, 07:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuelk

has anyone tried to fit a 3 pot device in a b size box? any pics of the interior?

nelson

I managed to fit a 3 knob small clone in a B sized box, without battery though. I dont have any b sized boxes with less than 3 knobs just now.

use 16mm pots

plenty of room.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

samuelk

okay, i never use battery anyway. got some pics on the interior how you arranged the switch och jacks etc??

KORGULL

Arrange the pots in a V formation, lay the perf/PCB on top of the pots, put the in/out jacks just beyond the pots and board. There should still be plenty of room for a battery and 3PDT switch. Fit the power jack/LED/extra toggle wherever you can - there is usually room someplace.
I don't have pictures showing exactly what you want, but if you go to the schematics/layouts forum and look at the layouts of the BSIAB, Blue Box, and Ross compressor that I posted, there are some photos that might help you out a bit. One of the Blue Box pictures shows all of the parts pretty well, it is only a two knobber, but a third could fit. The BSIAB has three knobs, but the pots are hidden under the board in the picture.

Processaurus

Check out the innards on this page, theres a lot of good layout ideas here.  http://moosapotamus.com/

If you can live without a battery (think of a time you played amplified music where there was no power, pignose gigs aside) it frees up a ton of room in those small boxes for circuitry and controls.

soggybag

Yes plenty of  times. I really like the 1590 B sized box.

Here's a picture of two Big Muffs that will go into the two taiwanese B boxes. These boxes are the same size as the Hammond 1590 B. I used a PCB board that I had made that has perfboard in the top area and the lower half is is set up to have the jacks, battery DC jack, reverse polarity diode, LED and switch mounted to it with traces to provide all of the connections.

Here's a picture of one of the boards with the battery in the box.

Here's the whole thing assembled.

Here's the board before adding the circuitry.

Here's a Tripple Fuzz done in the same one piece style but on perfboard.

Here's a BSIAB. I used the same system for the general layout but I used a slightly modified version of KORGULL's layout for the BSIAB circuit.

I've built two Bobtavia's, Easy Face and Jawari into B boxes. You can see on the Big muffs and the BIASB use three pot. I line these up in a row usually. To make them fit like this they must 16 MM pots. Mouser also has 12 MM pots.

The biggger problem I find is getting knobs that will fit. The 16 MM pots are about 1/2" across so you need knobs that have 1/2" skirt.

I don't have a picture of the Jawari, but I included the Moosapotamus mods which add two knobs (and a switch) for a total of three knobs. I used one 24 MM pot and two 16 MM pots. I arranged them in a triangle, with the bigger pot in the center, in an arrangement similar to the way the knobs are arranged on a Tube Screamer. Like  this I was able to use these knobs  which have a 3/4" skirt.

I find when cramming a lot into a B box this way the height of the parts becomes something you have to pay attention to. Mouser and Futurlec have small box caps that work well. Mouser also has sub miniature electrolytic caps that are about 5 to 7 MM talls.

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

soggybag

Heck Z' got 9 and a switch on the Seek, Trem and Ooh Wha's...

no one ever

Quote from: soggybagHeck Z' got 9 and a switch on the Seek, Trem and Ooh Wha's...

yeah but those are the teeny ones. that's cheating.  :lol:
(chk chk chk)

soggybag

z's got a good eye for spec'ing parts. You have to look at the catalog very closely.

For a long time I always bought what was cheapest! Now I look at the sizes of the parts among other things before chooosing.

samuelk

thx for the help...some badass stompboxes soggybag =)

aron

Radio Shack has these tiny knobs that are really skinny don't take up much space. I used to use those on my 1590B box pedals. I could fit 3 knobs pretty easily.

You can also rotate the pedal and use it length-wise instead of the usual vertical position. I've done that as well.

soggybag

Thanks for the compliment. I'm curious about the RS knobs. I may have to go in next time I pass an PS. What do they look like?